Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pavement Racer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Cool Pavement Racer...

Gentleman I bid you welcome from the world of off-road rc...

I am interested in picking up an on-road car for use on asphalt and concrete, I'll be running a 13.5 motor in it most of the time...Although a faster motor might sneak it way in for some speed runs

I'm thinking shaft driven and I came across a couple of cars that fit what i'm looking for...

Kyosho TF-5S
Associated TC4
Shumacher Mi1[it's not shaft driven but looks like a good car]

Anyway I would like your opinion/feedback on these cars or a suggestion for a car you think would be better...

Thank you for your time,
Racer53
Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

I used to own the high-end version of the TF-5 shaft and it was a very good car. Kyosho tend to downgrade some of the parts on the basic versions which may or may not affect the reliability of them. Bear in mind also that the TF-5S is 200mm wide and not legal for most electric races. A 190mm wide version is also available (simply called TF-5).

The TC4 is OK. Mixed opinions from the racing community but that is not the market it is sold to any more.

The Mi1 is also OK but probably a generation behind the other cars in terms of performance and build quality.

You list a local hobby shop in your signature - you should talk to them, and see what they have on the shelves.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

I think I might have a clue of what he is after. Honestly, just go with the TC4. It will be the strongest and hold up the longest for the parking lot.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Hey,

I own race my TF-5s. Spent a lot of money updating the car but it was well worth it. Was keeping up and managed to beat (at times) the Tamiya 417s, TCXs and Sakura Zeros.

But word of warning. It is an old car so you will find the quality not up to par (which is why I spent a lof of money on it. Pic of my car is on the last page of the Kyosho touring car forum).

The car is also really fragile compared to what's on the market right now. I also drive a TCX with the same set up which has survived horrendous crashes.... the TF-5s, a little bump here and there and you will be looking at replacing an arm.

I have no experience with the TC4 but if it was anything like the TC3 then it should be quite competitive. Same goes for Mi1... never even seen one in the country.

But (this is just my two cents) I would recommend skipping all of them and getting something more up to date.

A lot of people who start on-road for casual speed runs and backyard racing will soon find themselves competing in proper tracks so an updated car will immediately put your equipment into the mix.

Most of the bew stuff are belt driven but personally I do not see this as a problem. The new Sakura XI and Serpent 411 are two of the most recent touring cars and they are much cheaper compared to other competitive tourers.

I have the Sakura and its a quick nimble car. Might not have the build quality of the top companies but it is definitely as fast as the best out there. Best of all parts are dirt cheap so pushing your car to the limit and breaking stuff won't be as painful.

The serpent meanwhile just swept the national race series here so it's definitely competitive. Give them both a look.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

I'm afraid I was misunderstood[entirely my fault, I worded the question wrong]

I do not intend to "race" this car at any point, the most i'll be doing is driving with friends in parking lots or taking speed runs out front of the house...

Parts availibilty is not an issue, I normally place orders from amain...

And having the car fall within "legal" rules for a certain class is not a problem since I won't be racing...

I'm mainly looking for a sturdy car that can handle pavement...

I'm looking for an on-road car because i'm getting out of off-road racing for awhile and I need something that can satisfy my need for speed and give me something to work on...

Thanks for the time and answers gentlemen...

Racer53
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can find Traxxas slash 4x4's used for pretty cheap, and STRC makes an on-road kit for it. That's what i'd go with if I was just doing parking lots and speed runs. Parts are cheap and everybody carries them. then if you get bored, just switch tires and bumpers and go offroad.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

That is exactly what I thought. I would go with the TC4..

And they can special order any parts you need in the shop, just FYI.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Sorry for the long reply, been busy lately...

Thank you for the replies gentlemen, iv'e looked into the TC4 and like what I see...

Racer53
Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All I do now is parking lot fun runs and speed runs and the TC4 is perfect for that. Fairly strong and parts if needed are easy and cheap to come buy. There are also tons of upgrade parts offered.