Mini-z vs 1:10

Old 11-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Mini-z vs 1:10

Hi guys,
just wonder, how mini-z can compare to bigger 10th scale? was thinking to get mini-z and make in home an track to improve driving skills. Have found that VRC PRO still isn't that good like supposed to be.. Anyone was trying to improve skills on that small mini-z cars? Or that is another waste of the money?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roger999
Hi guys,
just wonder, how mini-z can compare to bigger 10th scale? was thinking to get mini-z and make in home an track to improve driving skills. Have found that VRC PRO still isn't that good like supposed to be.. Anyone was trying to improve skills on that small mini-z cars? Or that is another waste of the money?
With stacked fets, which are required to run "modified" equiv motors, the pace of the little cars are easily the same as mod cars nowadays. So mini-z's will definetley help you with improving driving skills.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Before I raced 1/10, I was racing Mini-Z for around a year or so. You'll definitely pick up some skill as these lil' "toys" are quite zippy and are as fast as 1/12 pan cars...scale wise that is.

So if you've got some free time and extra cash to blow, I say go for it. But if you have a near-by 1/10 track anyway, I'd say skip the mini-z and just head on over to your local track as much as you can and join the races.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mailboxck
Before I raced 1/10, I was racing Mini-Z for around a year or so. You'll definitely pick up some skill as these lil' "toys" are quite zippy and are as fast as 1/12 pan cars...scale wise that is.

So if you've got some free time and extra cash to blow, I say go for it. But if you have a near-by 1/10 track anyway, I'd say skip the mini-z and just head on over to your local track as much as you can and join the races.
The problem is i have access only to outdoor track. Now racing indoor every second week but need more and more it! So thats why decided to ask about mini-z because can do it at home.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

how much room do you have? you need a pretty big miniz track to simulate timing of a 1/10th track. They are also finicky little machines, you can get into a chassis with mods over $400 real quick.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

practice on LRP2007/2012 in vrc pro. one of the most demanding tracks you can drive on.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

As Mike said, Mini-Z's are super finicky machines, since they're so small even the slightest of setup changes can make or break your day. When I went to the RCX race last year my front wheel offset was just 0.2mm too narrow, which made the car pivot excessively in entry steering and I had to give up the win in 2WD Stock to Ryan Sagisi after TQing every qualifier .

That said, they're easy to understand. A RWD Mini-Z has all the same handling characteristics (and frenzy) as a 1/12 pan car, the main differences being no traction compound allowed (usually) and you pick bodies based on weight distribution as well as aero. It's definitely a good practice tool for larger scales in general, since everything is so quick by the time you get back to 1/12 or 1/10 you'll feel like "holy crap... it's so slow!". You'll still need a big track to actually get the same dynamic though, Mini-Z's have to go FAST before they pick up enough momentum to feel like a larger car.

At TQ Racing in Chino they run Mod Mini-Z Pan every once in a while and it's comparable to their 1/12 Stock class for speed and fun. Mini-Z Pan is definitely very, very close to 1/12, you get all the low weight and high downforce and I think for larger tracks they might start OKing 2S LiPo/LiFe to keep up with the 1/12 Mod class, lol...
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
how much room do you have? you need a pretty big miniz track to simulate timing of a 1/10th track. They are also finicky little machines, you can get into a chassis with mods over $400 real quick.
This is true. The main straights on our old mini-z track was about 6 to 8 meters long and was covered in a very grippy asphalt-like surface. So if you don't have a smooth grippy surface such as cement, asphalt, or even carpet, it'll be a challenge to drive the RWD mini's on a smooth slippery surface.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok thanks guys for help!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Hello guys,

First of all this is just based on my experience.

Before I join 1/10 scale , I was playing the Mini-Z ( MA-010 ) , it was fun, learning process , driving skill , indoor with air-cond , lot of races so it was so good. until the shop was close.

So I have no choise to choose, so i have to choose the track that nereast to my home. That is 1/10 scale outdoor asphalt track.

That is the begining I join the 1/10 EP...

Well the feelling is totaly different , but the 1 year of playing mini-z help my driving skill , in 1/10 I have to learn the technics / the way to drive 1/10 car.

It depends on your $$ . If you Extra $$ yes you can make your own mini-z track at home , If not just focus on your 1/10 at the end your have your skill improvement....

http://gilerbashingcrew.blogspot.com/