Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Quantum2 or Novak GTX or KO VFS1 or Keyence Rapida Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow LRP Quantum2 or Novak GTX or KO VFS1 or Keyence Rapida Pro

First off, I hope this does not end up as a VS thread. Just wanted to hear the reviews of people who have already tried these ESCs. I am concerned about:

1) Performance (Punch, smoothness, programmability, etc. etc.)

2) Reliability (Smoking QC2s?? Is this a myth or a fact? I have heard numerous horror stories and yet people kept buying them.)

3) Most importantly, warranty service ( I have heard Novak is pretty good in this department)

I have been running Tekins (G12-CIII, G-9, G-10 Pro) like forever. Just want to try something new. I repeat, this is not a bash thread but rather a "review" thread.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

I have owned a LRP Quantum 2 for over a year without any problems.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post QC2

I have also been running a QC2 for just under a year and it has run flawlesly with all different motors from 540 through to mod.

A friend has also tried the VFS-1 and it looks very good aswell.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

I have run the Keyence in the past and it is a GREAT ESC. It is a little large compared to most high end ESC's of today however. The only thing I didn't like about the Keyence it that it will take you longer to set up than your car!
Many, many programing options.

I currently run the Q2 (I have three...one for each car). They have performed flawlessly since day one. I couldn't be happier with them. I have seen several Q2's "go up in smoke" when they first came out. I can honestly say that everyone that I saw blow up were hooked up incorrectly.

As far as the GTX, i cannot comment as i have never had good luck with Novak stuff and stopped buying their ESC's after my first GT7. A lot of guys at my track seem to really like the GTX though.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up Just to funny....

The only thing I didn't like about the Keyence it that it will take you longer to set up than your car!

But seriously I think another thing to consider is, of the ones mentioned at the start how many are so much plastic without an external programing device (read extra expense).
Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Kenshin...

I have been wondering myself on what to get. So many choices. It's between the Quantum 2 and the GTX. The Q2 is waterproof which is a nice feature. I would like to know how/what the setup profiles are like on the Q2? The Q2 also has a variable punch mode feature, but I not sure what it does.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you have using Tekin G-10pro , then no need to change anymore.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

I liked the Quantum 2 enough I bought 2 of them. Then they both stopped working a week apart (running 4 cel?). I didn't do anything to abuse them (I've been racing 1/12th scale since the early 90's.. I pretty much know what I'm doing).

The Associated service department has been great. They replaced the one that burned out with a brand new unit.

The kicker was the other one.. it died completely randomly. Going down the straight mid-race it turned off and never would turn back on. I sent it in and the tech called me and told me he couldn't find anything wrong. Ok, maybe I was smoking crack that day?? So I got it back and installed it. I ran a pack with it problem free. Second run with it .. it turned itself off again and won't turn back on. It's sitting on my work bench non-functional right now.

I'm now running a GTX in that car.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

I have both the GTX and the KO speedos and have run both of the other ones.

LRP and us really don't get along.... I went through Three in one weekend and one in the main at Cleveland last year. all were replaced then sold except one.
KO VFS... nice easy speedo to set up, lots of punch. downside is you need a laptop or a handheld device to load settings.
GTX.. a really nice speedo. also punchy and on the downside a big cap the mount somewhere. we really like the GTX and run it in sedans and 1.12th scale. simple to set programs (1-6) and one you can setup yourself (7). right now if I were going to buy another speedo it would be either the GTX or a KO. I'm still leary of LRP's

Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone knows if the later Q2's are really waterproof?
The first weren't for sure

Of the 8 Q2 people in my club bought, 1 is still working, 6 got smoked on the wet and 1 while running indoors.
(By wet I don' t even mean puddles and such, just moist grass)
Old 12-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Then they're not totally waterproof as advertised are they ...

- jaybee
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

Well, a friend of mine sent in his speedo to LRP, they had him wait for over 2 months for a replacement. The delay was caused because they were modifying the speedo to be really waterproof.

When he got his new LRP Q2 and ran it in the rain, the speedo didn't blow but his car ran away at full speed at the end of the straight because it mallfunctioned.

After a day of drying the speedo worked again, it surely was not a receiver error.
So the supposedly "new" version of the Q2 was still not waterproof, and the support from LRP plain lousy.
They do not respond to e-mail for example.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Totally agree with Loman.

G-10 pro beat them all except keyence! They both have the same character and power but Keyence gives a little bit smoother in the low end throttle!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Tech Regular

i'vce used a QC2 .... felt good ..
but i wish it could b programed .....
QC 2 are not water proof !! -- just look at the switch .... !! thats not sealed !!

i currently have a VFS -1 an it better than the QC2 in punch !!
it can b programed, which is a good thing.

i'd go with one that can b programed an adjusted to how u really like it !! not just some factory setting !!
also u csn download top drivers settings an test wat they run !!

go a KO VFS !!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

my speedo collection: Futaba MC330CR (very reliable, wires able to be replaced), TPM8R (reliable too, switch is a weak point, cannot replace wires) , TPM8 (cheap, can handle down to 9 turns, same switch problem as TPM8R, same stoopid wires as the TPM8R)

i wish i could afford a GTX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.