Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Odin544
Forgot to mention that the side links, side springs, pivot balls, spring retainers, and rear pod center pivot are all from the 12r5. Makes getting spares easy as most hobbyshops stock AE stuff.
Yup...I replaced the side links and springs with BMI flex links like my 1/12th has
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Yup...I replaced the side links and springs with BMI flex links like my 1/12th has
why? do tell.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Tech Champion

Because I don't have to mess with springs. The flex plates work very well. I don't worry about springs collapsing or having to set each side just right...just bolt them on and go. If you look closely back at the pic I posted you can see them...no one seemed to notice
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

so no springs but no adjustments either?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Other than tweak it has the same adjustments as there are different thicknesses of flex plates available. And tweak is easily solved by properly balancing the car. In 1/12th most setups these days is to just have the springs touch then do the rest with balancing the chassis.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Come to think of it...if you really had to have a tweak adjustment you could do it simply by adding shims to one side or the other...yes it isn't as easy as adjusting a screw but it will never slip.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Because I don't have to mess with springs. The flex plates work very well. I don't worry about springs collapsing or having to set each side just right...just bolt them on and go. If you look closely back at the pic I posted you can see them...no one seemed to notice
sorry but i don't get the economics. the r5 pivot ball is nearly indestructable, and the link is under $2. neither of which i have yet to break. however an unlucky crash will break a flex link ($5) or pivot ball housing($5) or both if i am really lucky.

if the weight is balanced to begin with, then setting the tweak on a link car is way less hassle than it was with a tbar car (for me)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

It isn't about economics...it is about reduced hassle and the type of suspension I personally like...I find springs to be a hassle as you have to set them just right. Then you have to set the pivot tension on the side links just right. Not to mention they have a tendency to collapse. Plus the ones used for side springs are progressive springs so if you have one side compressed more than the other the spring rates are different from side to side. I am still using the R5 center pivot just not the links...as for breakage I've been running BMI flex plates ever since the first DB12R and have broken a total of 2 flex links and never broke a rear pivot. So that's what 1 every 2 years or so? Plus flex links are bi-directional so they are always using both sides where springs are uni-directional so only the side that is compressing is working. You may not like flex plates...but I do and this is the first F1 where I can use them and that makes me very happy. Flex links are really no worse than using springs...maybe even better...probably about equal. But so many people are close minded about things that are different. Mono-ball with side links was pretty different and unpopular too until Joel Johnson started winning with the EV10.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Got my F1R fixed, Ordered a 12r5 shock, but it turns out, that I had one already on an older CEFX 1/12 car in my garage.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Default UF1 Series

Round 4 of the UF1 Winter Series this Saturday at TQ Chino California...
Doors open at 10AM...
Qualifying starts at Noon...
Johnny will be announcing...

http://uf1series.com/
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Race Report.
Car is still awesome. Played with settings, less side spring, springs 1mm above links, lost a lot of turn in. Cranked side springs to 1 turn past touching, little too much steering. Loosened to about a 1/4 turn past touching: DIALED.

PS572 rear, 577 front.
Camber on the 2, no spacers under plate.
Full sauce with Paragon.
Red Tamiya shock spring. Cranked.
Associated .022 front springs.
Ride height 3.5 front 3.5 rear
Took graphite axle out, went to steel axle, even better. you can feel the difference in the rear. Stable. Not touching set up til track changes. Better driver might have taken it all. Need to get better in the infield. Car can do it.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Tech Champion

Well I finally have my car in a runable state and will run it for the first time tomorrow. I really like the design of the car and think is will do great...but I'm a bit disappointed with how much I had to hack up the body to get it to fit. So this first body I am considering a test fit body...especially since it is the light weight when I wanted the standard weight. I have some ideas for the next one that will make it so I don't have to hack it up so much. First since I am using flex links instead of the AE links with side springs I don't need the winglets where the springs mount so I will dremel them off so the body fits over that part. Next I think I figured out a way to lower the mounting height of the flex plates so I won't have to cut as much of the body to clear those links. And lastly re-route my wires under the front wall of the pod so they don't get all hung up in the body either. Still I look forward to running it on Sunday! I will be running a silver can against 21.5 cars since no one had the spur gear adapter in stock when I was buying parts.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Well we didn't have enough people show up to actually race the F1 cars today but I did get a couple of runs in on my F1R and man was it great! On a track where even the TCs were struggling with grip the car was well planted with only a couple of times where it spun out due to too much throttle. I think switching to the medium front springs instead of the soft springs I have on there the car will be on the money. Car works great!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well we didn't have enough people show up to actually race the F1 cars today but I did get a couple of runs in on my F1R and man was it great! On a track where even the TCs were struggling with grip the car was well planted with only a couple of times where it spun out due to too much throttle. I think switching to the medium front springs instead of the soft springs I have on there the car will be on the money. Car works great!
That's good to hear Bert, too bad you did not have enough f1's turn out. Any chance you will be racing at the carpet nats? We have a healthy f1 class every Saturday and should be plenty of them for the event.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Tech Champion

Not planning on it. Right now the only racing trip I continue to plan on is the IIC as it is the easiest to get to from Hawaii given the air fare discounts to Vegas from Hawaii.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.