R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #1366
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee200sx View Post
That is awesome Aaron, thanks a million mate. It looks great.

Sorry if this is too much to ask of you but would you mind posting your setup?

Or Mike any chance of getting your setup too using Aaron's setup sheet.

Thanks guys.
no problem! This is currently what i have right now

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf setup sheet Aaron Lane.pdf (284.5 KB, 208 views)
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #1367
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
no problem! This is currently what i have right now

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. Do you only race on Carpet?
bee200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #1368
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee200sx View Post
Thanks Aaron. Do you only race on Carpet?
no I race on asphalt as well its just carpet season right now so that is my current setup.

My setup for asphalt is basically the same just silver associated side springs and associated diff grease in the diff rather than anti-wear grease
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #1369
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Cool thanks Aaron.

yeah i was reading on the forums a few ppl mentioned running the AWG on the diff.

I tried it out on asphalt (we only race in asphalt) and it did not work at all. Way too thick. Then reverted back to Associated diff grease which was much better.
bee200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #1370
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Couldn't resist anymore and got a F1R2 plus IFS. Build the car tonight and everything went well. Just one problem occured with the IFS. When I put the dampers in the lowest position the tops of the damper shaft are squeezed and prevent the whole suspension from working without binding
The shocktower holedistance for the lowest pair of holes is just too small. Anybody else noticed that or am I just unlucky with a faulty part?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #1371
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Couldn't resist anymore and got a F1R2 plus IFS. Build the car tonight and everything went well. Just one problem occured with the IFS. When I put the dampers in the lowest position the tops of the damper shaft are squeezed and prevent the whole suspension from working without binding
The shocktower holedistance for the lowest pair of holes is just too small. Anybody else noticed that or am I just unlucky with a faulty part?
Congrats on the new ride!
Yes that's right. The towers were made before the dampers and when the dampers were made the tops had to become more reinforced than planned so they became a little too fat for the lowest hole. Lowest hole is too soft anyway for the current springs. Middle and outer hole is recommended for the current dampers

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...

Last edited by MikeR; 01-21-2015 at 05:28 PM.
MikeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #1372
Tech Master

Thanks Mike.
I tried to copy Aarons IFS setup and stumbled over it.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #1373
Tech Master

I had my first race with the F1R2 plus IFS today on carpet.
My feelings are mixed right now. The competition was hard: two Xrays, one VBC and two F104s fought for the honor. And if you love or hate Xray, you have to admit they do a great job for clubdrivers. The two guys with the Xray F1 just build the car like the manual recommends... and they were flying! The car carries a lot of corner speed and is very stable without oversteer (on carpet). the front is hard and the rear soft with thick oil in the link damper.

I started with Aarons setup. The car was a handful to drive, but equal fast with the Xrays (if I got it together). The IFS gives tons of steering! For asphalt this car will be a dream, but for medium to high grip carpet with ETS Ride tires the front is too soft. I started with the recommended soft spring and the car had problems getting back to the normal rideheight after the corner (getting back horizontal after leaning in the corner). This made it very hard to drive, because every little steering input would lead to diffing out or upsetting the car. I then changed to the hard spring and 300.000 diff oil for the IFS tubes. This made it a little better. Later I also put 300.000 into the rear tubes (copying the Xray), but it felt worse...
The last two years I just drove my F1 outdoor on dusty low to medium grip asphalt, so I am sure my setup decisions are faulty. I appreciate any help
Right now I feel like there should be a set of harder front springs for high grip carpet conditions. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Some pics of the day:

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #1374
Tech Adept

Wtcc.
I am running 10k in the side dampers and AWG in the IFS tubes. I did have 30k in it but the 10k just feels better. I am sure that the 300k is not letting the car settle back to level fast enough. I am running the tamiya TCS tires. They work really well and seem to last the whole season and more on our track.
We also have a guy running a xray at our club. He is an experienced driver already so his car was fast. But Not fast enough yet. I do expect the xray will be quite good. Only time will tell in that department.
I am really liking the IFS right now. Only 2 nights on it and it just keeps getting better and better.
Paco1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #1375
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Installed the IFS setup on my Street Jam F1. I used the stock servo mounts and shimmed the rear arm mount, on the servo mount, to be the same height as the supplied one, perfect.
Only other thing I did was use a 3mm nut loctite to the end of the droop screw, where they touch the chassis.

Car is now super dialed, feels the same as my IFS F1R2, but no football tweaking issues due to crash or hit

Love this front end, it is like a new car, so fast! Best upgrade ever for F1
Old 01-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #1376
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1001 View Post
Wtcc.
I am running 10k in the side dampers and AWG in the IFS tubes. I did have 30k in it but the 10k just feels better. I am sure that the 300k is not letting the car settle back to level fast enough. I am running the tamiya TCS tires. They work really well and seem to last the whole season and more on our track.
We also have a guy running a xray at our club. He is an experienced driver already so his car was fast. But Not fast enough yet. I do expect the xray will be quite good. Only time will tell in that department.
I am really liking the IFS right now. Only 2 nights on it and it just keeps getting better and better.
Good to hear!
Yes I agree, for the rear- go down to 10k and soften up the springs and damping and use firm silver spring with awg for the front. Makes the car a whole lot easier to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Installed the IFS setup on my Street Jam F1. I used the stock servo mounts and shimmed the rear arm mount, on the servo mount, to be the same height as the supplied one, perfect.
Only other thing I did was use a 3mm nut loctite to the end of the droop screw, where they touch the chassis.

Car is now super dialed, feels the same as my IFS F1R2, but no football tweaking issues due to crash or hit

Love this front end, it is like a new car, so fast! Best upgrade ever for F1
Glad to hear Jay!
It's a new front end system so there may be a learning curve for some but it will only get better (more dominant?) as we continue to develop set up and improved parts

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #1377
Tech Master

OK, I have a dumb@$$ question (me being the dumb@$$) for you. What does mounting the rear shock backwards on the rear pod do to your handling?

Scott

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #1378
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

I have ordered an IRS set today am just getting the parts together ready for installation. I have a Savox SC-1251MG servo already with a cheap servo spacer. Can anyone tell me if the Tamiya 51000 servo spacer works with it or do you need a different brand of servo?

Cheers
pug205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #1379
Tech Elite

Hi All,
Reports of good results and wins with the IFS already;
http://rcformula1.com.au/index.php/a...ound-1-results

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have ordered an IRS set today am just getting the parts together ready for installation. I have a Savox SC-1251MG servo already with a cheap servo spacer. Can anyone tell me if the Tamiya 51000 servo spacer works with it or do you need a different brand of servo?

Cheers
Hi, Congrats on the upgrade! When you say servo spacer do you mean servo saver? The plastic one is very flimsy and may not last you the race day. Pick up the alloy version and use all of the metal springs to stiffen the servo saver or the car will just wander all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
OK, I have a dumb@$$ question (me being the dumb@$$) for you. What does mounting the rear shock backwards on the rear pod do to your handling?

Scott
It's probably not even noticeable if it were switched but in theory shock body to the back creates more unsprung weight so could slow the pod down and not react to bumps and weight transfer (less grip). And if your shock develops any air it is like shaking a can of soda and wants to mix all the bubbles into the oil

Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #1380
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
Hi Guys,

Cheers
I got exactly the same combination in my F1R2 with IRS. Works fine. Nevertheless I heard the guy here preferring the Xray T4 servosaver.