R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #1321
Tech Elite
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,915
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
you need to make these plates! I want one bad
please
Done- in production
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #1322
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I'm using 3mm. We both actually made custom plates that acts as 3mm spacers but also bolt onto the servo saver and lengthened the arm by about 8mm to help reduce the ackerman for more aggressive mid corner steering.
Something I might release later to get rid of that dreaded mid corner push these f1 cars seem to have on asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Done- in production
Yeah! You know I will be ordering

The IFS front end is AMAZING. I have never driven an F1 that is so good and I have owned most of them.
__________________
A800 HW XR10Pro HW G2 4.5T|||B5MFL HW StockSpec Team Powers 17.5|||VTA: Awesomatix EVO 1.1 Orca VX3 |||F1:
Xray X1 2016, HW V3.1, Ride XR Tires, D4SS 21.5|||Futaba 4PX|||iCharger 308Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #1323
Tech Initiate
 
CFRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Yeah! You know I will be ordering

The IFS front end is AMAZING. I have never driven an F1 that is so good and I have owned most of them.
hey jayL are you using the ifs on your stj? does it fit right out of the box? thanks in advance.
__________________
kyosho eM3 evo
Kyosho M3 evo
SpecR R1
STJFO1
turnigy
CFRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #1324
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFRacing View Post
hey jayL are you using the ifs on your stj? does it fit right out of the box? thanks in advance.
No I am not. The SJ front end is too narrow for the droop screws. Really thinking of getting a custom chassis made, Exotek IFS front/Street Jam Rear since I hate side links and football tuning/tweak

I'm the IFS running it on full F1R2

After selling three I still have four F1's lol
__________________
A800 HW XR10Pro HW G2 4.5T|||B5MFL HW StockSpec Team Powers 17.5|||VTA: Awesomatix EVO 1.1 Orca VX3 |||F1:
Xray X1 2016, HW V3.1, Ride XR Tires, D4SS 21.5|||Futaba 4PX|||iCharger 308Duo
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #1325
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,469
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Really thinking of getting a custom chassis made, Exotek IFS front/Street Jam Rear since I hate side links and football tuning/tweak
I am thinking the same as well, an Exotek IFS with a SJ rear end would be unstoppable

I have been looking at the design we could still use the SJ servo mount as the upper arm fix point for the IFS as well, There is no extra re designing other then to make the front chassis wider for the drop screw. But having said that I may have a solution for this as well with the SJ chassis. I just need put my thinking cap on and get in the garage with some carbon offcuts. stay tuned...
__________________
UnRetired

Last edited by evochick; 01-14-2015 at 06:09 PM.
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #1326
Tech Initiate
 
CFRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
No I am not. The SJ front end is too narrow for the droop screws. Really thinking of getting a custom chassis made, Exotek IFS front/Street Jam Rear since I hate side links and football tuning/tweak

I'm the IFS running it on full F1R2

After selling three I still have four F1's lol
now that sounds like a plan with the rear traction of the stj and that awesome ifs....hmmm
__________________
kyosho eM3 evo
Kyosho M3 evo
SpecR R1
STJFO1
turnigy
CFRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #1327
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,469
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Ok I have finished my thinking it really would not be hard now I have thought about it to run an IFs on a streetjam

The STJ front chassis has the 2 countersunk holes at the front that we would just need a small carbon plate 1-1.5mm thick bolted to it for the droop screw, that's it..... It has all the required holes and we would just use the Streetjam Servo mount for the rear upper arm pivot point as with the current STJ front suspension.
Only issue I see would be keeping the extra plates secure so if they were hit would not twist but as they sit above the chassis would not be too big of an issue.

I can see me ordering some parts once I get paid this month
Attached Thumbnails
Exotek F1R-stj-ifs.jpg  
__________________
UnRetired
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #1328
Tech Elite
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,915
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Well if there are 2 mounting holes in the chassis then your half way there! Maybe you can make a horseshoe shape that wraps around the back side of the bulkhead so that the pieces don't move?

How do you think you will you mount the servo?
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #1329
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,469
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Well if there are 2 mounting holes in the chassis then your half way there! Maybe you can make a horseshoe shape that wraps around the back side of the bulkhead so that the pieces don't move?

How do you think you will you mount the servo?
Yep my second thought was a horseshoe bracket that would stop any movement,

We would just use the original STJ servo mount,
In the photo the arrow that have put in is in the same spot as the Exotek upper pivot mount, we just wouldn't use the long alloy blue extenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Exotek F1R-sjf01full-1-.jpg  
__________________
UnRetired
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #1330
Tech Elite
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,634
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

no new parts are required to fit the ifs front end to the street jam. for droop screws you can either use the large pan head m3 screws commonly used on nitro sedans to secure the motor mount or use a flat head with the larger cone washer locked in place with a nut on the underside of the arm.t. approximately 1/3 of the enlarged screw head will rest on the chassis. its a little more work to set droop but it works just fine. the servo can be glued in place eliminating the need to drill for the mounts. I would recommend gluing the servo to get the right ackerman with direct servo mounting on the stj regardless of the front end used.


my question is what is everyone using in their ifs tubes? mine fit so loose that even with 600K grease they are lighter than a tamiya tube with 3K and with the recommended with aw grease there is no virtually nothing.

Has anyone tried using 12th scale shocks in place of the damper tubes? it looks like they would fit attached to the front of the arm spaced off the tower?
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #1331
Tech Elite
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,915
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
no new parts are required to fit the ifs front end to the street jam. for droop screws you can either use the large pan head m3 screws commonly used on nitro sedans to secure the motor mount or use a flat head with the larger cone washer locked in place with a nut on the underside of the arm.t. approximately 1/3 of the enlarged screw head will rest on the chassis. its a little more work to set droop but it works just fine. the servo can be glued in place eliminating the need to drill for the mounts. I would recommend gluing the servo to get the right ackerman with direct servo mounting on the stj regardless of the front end used.


my question is what is everyone using in their ifs tubes? mine fit so loose that even with 600K grease they are lighter than a tamiya tube with 3K and with the recommended with aw grease there is no virtually nothing.

Has anyone tried using 12th scale shocks in place of the damper tubes? it looks like they would fit attached to the front of the arm spaced off the tower?
I was working on a similar solution for the F104- An upside down T bolt that would catch the chassis edge for droop adjustment. Servo mounting is the tougher problem.

So is the STJ the same front end pretty much as the Speedpassion F1? Things might get interesting for these car owners

For the damper tubes it has to be 1milllion plus. Sticky tamiya AWG or 3Racing IFS silicone are the 2 best options.
I just finished designing machined damper tubes for the front. They will have tighter tolerances and run straighter (which allows the tighter tolerance). Hope to have in stock 1st week of Feb.
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #1332
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,469
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
for droop screws you can either use the large pan head m3 screws commonly used on nitro sedans to secure the motor mount or use a flat head with the larger cone washer locked in place with a nut on the underside of the arm.t. approximately 1/3 of the enlarged screw head will rest on the chassis.
oooh I like your thinking

yep will be ordering an IFS now
__________________
UnRetired
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #1333
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,402
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default



Team Durango DROOP SCREW M3X13MM (10PCS)
Part #: TD701001

1.5mm hex on both ends of the screw
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #1334
Tech Master
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,941
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Mike,
Will the new parts be included in the IFS packages made after Feb 1, or only as add-ons?
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #1335
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,402
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post

So is the STJ the same front end pretty much as the Speedpassion F1? Things might get interesting for these car owners
.
Speed Passion front end = SJ
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topeka Onroad Racing Aaron P Kansas/Missouri Racing 10912 12-03-2016 08:53 PM
Carpet Racing in Southern Illinois!!! jrp Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 3134 12-01-2016 09:51 AM
Tamiya F103 Forum TFR Electric On-Road 2199 08-27-2016 04:27 AM
Tamiya F104 Pro! NT Electric On-Road 9319 05-03-2016 07:22 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0