Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wheelz
hi Ivan!

I'm sorry I missed your question on the forum... I am assuming that you are running on carpet where the grip is extremely high. what side springs and oil are you running?

Typically that is caused by the rear pod is either reacting too slowly or too quickly when transferring weight in the corners. the key is to find the right balance of side spring and damper oil where the car is always stable but has as much corner speed as you can handle. On carpet I go to a softer spring than on asphalt (black associated spring on carpet, silver on asphalt)

-when the pod reacts too quickly it maxes out the suspension too fast and the remaining weight of the car not being absorbed by the suspension is then transferred into lifting up the inside tire.

-when the pod reacts too slowly (side spring or more often the oil is too thick) the car will not transfer enough weight in the corner and this will cause the car to lock up in the rear end and can also cause the car to lift the inside rear tire.

I typically always run 10k oil in my rear dampers. One setup tip that i have recently figured out is to lower the inside ball-studs of the dampers 2mm to level them in the car it really stabilizes the car and made a bigger difference than i thought!

Aaron
Thank you for your time answering my questions and also getting me initially to invest in a F1R2!

It’s my first season running a F1 car on medium grip Ozite carpet and it’s been quite a learning experience. I equate it to running a ‘pushy’ 12th scale.

I bought the car almost RTR and have been only making minor tinkering when a problem comes up. Initially I thought the car pushed like a dump truck even with full front sauce and dual rate to max then a fellow driver turned my dual rate down to 70% and the car turned more than ever. Then my diff gave out and then another racer helped rebuild my diff with locktite and discovered that the wheel width was shorter due to less offset of my wheels so I added some shims to the rear to make it a bit wider and that helped with speed and stability. Then due to repeatedly getting t-boned and knocking my side springs off, I had to replace them with whatever set of side springs I had and noticed that didn’t really affect handling for some reason except I had to fix the tweak a bit as the car seemed to push to one direction a bit on hard acceleration out of the corner.

On a recent outing, I was suggested to actually not use any side springs due to the carpet being a bit more higher grip and the rear tires were really lifting (car looked like a wet noodle on the track) and that somehow calmed the lifting of the tires a bit. As weird as it sounds, my car actually handled quite responsively (did take about 2 minutes of warmup to get the tires working perfectly) and actually was the fastest car on the field against some great drivers.

I’ll probably put the soft spring back on but I haven’t played with the damper oil as I was just using whatever the car came with but I’ll clean them off and then put some 10k on and see what happens next. Another tuning option I was planning to try was put harder front springs in the front (current ones that came with the car seem soft) as maybe that will calm the steering a bit and help the rear stay planted a bit more. Also will try the lower ball stud thing too!

Got another few weeks of playing around with the car before I get my new body on (yellow black Jordan Benson Hedges) to prepare for probably the largest race in Western Canada in early January.

Thanks again Aaron!

Ivan
Old 12-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Aaron,

Where's ya get that Blue Power push battery? I only have a red one nd an old reedy. I normally use Fan tom packs. Just curious.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Ifs showed up today!

Which springs are you guys using for low grip Carpet on Club nights, and then when grip comes up? Also, what grease on the damper tubes? Ride height at 5'm all around?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Also, what droop? Did any of the settings on the rest of the car change?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
Ifs showed up today!

Which springs are you guys using for low grip Carpet on Club nights, and then when grip comes up? Also, what grease on the damper tubes? Ride height at 5'm all around?
I would really start with the suggested instructions setting first including the droop If you are using pit tires go with the silver hard springs.

Enjoy!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Nothing else change? Instructions say silver springs and doesn't say much for the grease..
Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Nothing else change? Instructions say silver springs and doesn't say much for the grease..
you're going to want to start with something really thick like 1 million weight diff oil or even mike has run anti-wear grease on his damper. we need to run thicker oil to slow everything down because the shocks are so laid over to get them inside the body .

My setup is 95% the stock instruction setup. I think the only differences are that I run 1mm droop, 2mm on the front bulkhead, and 3mm ontop of the spindle and 4mm on the bottom of the spindle let me know if you have any other questions!

Aaron

oh and i have not changed anything else on the rest of the car! same setup!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does the F1R2 IFS kit the VBC LightningF f1 kit, or will we need to wait until the 104 IFS kits is released?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Aaron, slightly lost. 3mm and I4mm. Meaning 3mm shim on top of steering knuckle, and I'm shim between bottom of spindle and the lower arm?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Aaron, slightly lost. 3mm and I4mm. Meaning 3mm shim on top of steering knuckle, and I'm shim between bottom of spindle and the lower arm?
Yes you're shimming on the bottom of the spindle as well
Old 12-19-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Ok just wasn't sure it held that many shims. And the 2mm is where? Under the upper control arm front mount?
Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Ok just wasn't sure it held that many shims. And the 2mm is where? Under the upper control arm front mount?
you have a lot more room for shims now because there is no longer a spring on the underside of the arm. so we need to take up that extra length with shims.

you are correct the 2mm is under the upper control arm in the front

Aaron
Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Thanks. Tonight is an off Road night, but between rounds I'll be putting this together to race Sunday.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Instructions say silver springs and doesn't say much for the grease..

It did twice lol. If you can find the 3Racing stuff I would really suggest that. The dampening is really nice with the thicker stuff like the 2 listed. I tried to source it with 3Racing but they would not supply it to me sadly.
I'm not sure 1million is thick enough but I did pick up some 2 million from Gravity RC just to try when I have time. So far though it doesn't feel 'sticky' like the tamiya awg or 3 racing fgx silicone which I have used all year...

For the rest of the car I didn't change anything except for what minor changes I normally do for the different track conditions (hot and cold weather).
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

I have 2.5 mil I got from Paul when he built. me a gear diff for my sedan at a race we attended. I also have 100,000 Cst. I'll try the 2.5 mil. Thanks.

Currently the car is in softest springs all around. Silver is softer then black?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.