Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Waiting on that ifs!!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #1127
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Hi!

The molded parts are in full production The metal parts are already here.

It's been a long arduous process getting the mold tool completed (a few corrections added a month or so to this time) but at least we know it's just a matter of time before we get a tracking number from the factory for the plastic parts shipment and then we can begin packaging!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38 View Post
Waiting on that ifs!!
Mike posted this a couple pages ago on 9/22. Should be soon! Believe me it will be worth the wait!! Mike has spent a lot of time and effort putting this all together for the F1 guys and it turned out incredible
wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #1128
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What does the 5g on the winglets help with?
Paco1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #1129
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1001 View Post
What does the 5g on the winglets help with?
the winglets help with corner speed on carpet. 5 grams seemed to be the best balance of corner speed and stability.

It takes less weight to make the car roll in a corner when the weight is farther out from the center of the car. The winglets allow you to control and adjust how much weight/lean you can generate in the car. On carpet there is so much traction that adding the weight on the outside of the car can quicken the response and give the car more "carving" corner speed.

On asphalt the winglets have too much leverage and I actually take the entire carbon piece off of the car as they weight 5-7 grams on their own..
Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #1130
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sweet. I will have to give them a try. I will post a pic of my front wing when I get a chance. There is no possible way that it will ever droop again.
Paco1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #1131
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anybody here know how to mount the stock f104 plastic diffuser onto the old f1r? Post #318 has linked to some pics, but it doesn't show how he installed it.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:59 AM   #1132
Tech Addict

Smile

Finally Managed to spend a full ay of driving and found that is goes way better if I dont bring the pro10 along
Got the car to turn pretty well, still some understeer but I think thats prone to rubber tires.
Getting the battery forward had the most effect, ackerman put as stated before.
The last battery I put on the f104 wingset (yes, a ferrari body with f104 wingset...) instead of the ferrari and that increased steering on high speeds a lot making the rear very twitchy.
Good thing is I could lessen the dragbrake cause the car had more steering anyway so the motor didnt heat up that much.
Btw, anybody have guess of gearing on a track with a straight of about 80m?
http://www.modelracegenk.be/cms/

Finished up the 104 body today so next time I'll try that one, looks better as well .
Attached Thumbnails
Exotek F1R-wp_20140920_002.jpg   Exotek F1R-wp_20141004_002.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #1133
Tech Master

How are you all getting shims under the trailing top arm stud? I cannot get anything under it because my bolt is way too short. What length do I need?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #1134
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Are there any pictures of this ifs anywhere?
E-clip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #1135
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Use tamiya Anti-Wear Grease. It is silver and super thick. It comes in a squeeze tube and also a little jar. I feel that the squeeze tube is easier and cleaner to work with. you just need to apply a tiny little bit on each ball. The diff will feel really viscous and will need to be re-lubed more often than the AE diff lube. But on carpet it is an instant 0.2 of a second faster per lap. It takes all of the diff slip out of the car and makes the car a rocket ship under acceleration and even carries more corner speed. Not many people will tel, you that they use it. makes a HUGE difference on carpet! My car will not touch the carpet without AW grease in the diff.

If you try it and the car is super loose at first give it a pack or so to break in. the grease is really really thick.

I believe it would increase the castor because by making the ball taller you are increasing the length of the rear section of the arm in relation to where the spindle is and would cause the kingpin to get sucked back.
Aaron,

I tried the AW grease but I think I used way too much grease. I will try it again but wanted to know how often you re-do/re-lube it - maybe in terms of 5 minute races?

Heading to IIC next week with my F1R2 and won't have a lot of time learn the nuances of the AW grease beforehand so any more detail you can give would be greatly appreciated!
IlikeF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #1136
Tech Addict

Quote:
How are you all getting shims under the trailing top arm stud? I cannot get anything under it because my bolt is way too short. What length do I need?
I dont understand which you mean. Do you mean the chassis ball of the arm that controls caster?
I dont have spacers under that one, dont even see the point.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #1137
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hey hows it going? Could you possibly post a picture of what you're talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlikeF1 View Post
Aaron,

I tried the AW grease but I think I used way too much grease. I will try it again but wanted to know how often you re-do/re-lube it - maybe in terms of 5 minute races?

Heading to IIC next week with my F1R2 and won't have a lot of time learn the nuances of the AW grease beforehand so any more detail you can give would be greatly appreciated!
I just ran carpet on Thursday night so I'd be happy to explain my process a little better

Applying the AW Grease: I use the tube that tamiya sells and apply grease to every other ball on one side. Then I flip the gear and then grease the balls that i skipped on the previous side. So that way each ball gets greased once (grease 6 balls on one side and grease the other 6 balls on the opposite side). You want to apply just enough grease completely the cover the ball in the hole of the spur gear.

Setting the diff: The diff will seem really thick with the grease and viscous. So you cannot set the diff by spinning the tires in the opposite direction. I set the diff just until I cant spin the spur gear as both of the tires are locked down. Some tires I will tighten it another 1/8 turn past this point as well.

Life of AW Grease: Typically I will regrease my car every day its at the track to keep things consistent. You should be able to get a full day with the grease fresh every day. normally if I'm at the track and regrease my diff more than once it is because the diff looses the "viscous" feeling.

I hope this helps some? I wish I could go to IIC this year but my school schedule worked out to where I would miss too much practice....
Old 10-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #1138
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile View Post
Does anybody here know how to mount the stock f104 plastic diffuser onto the old f1r? Post #318 has linked to some pics, but it doesn't show how he installed it.
My son's car has one on it (F104 diffuser on the old F1R). It was on there when we bought it used, but it looks like the previous owner just cut up a stock F104 lower pod plate and then screwed it on using the 2 screws at the rear of the F1R lower pod plate.
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #1139
Tech Master

Yes the ball stud that the trailing part of the top arm goes on. I don't have the exotek adjustable arms but I'm trying to get more caster.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #1140
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco1001 View Post
Hey Guys. Got to run my new f1r2 last night. I am pretty much running Aaron Lanes setup that's on the exotek page. I am running full sauce on the front tires but still very little turn in. I am running full Tamiya TCS tires all around. Any quick tips to get more steering? The last run of the night was pretty good but know where near I was hopping.

Thanks
Quote:
Yes the ball stud that the trailing part of the top arm goes on. I don't have the exotek adjustable arms but I'm trying to get more caster.
it shouldn't take many washers. (1-2mm) what type of ballstud are you using? youre just looking to raise the ballstud a tiny bit

Also something that I have stumbled across if you're looking for more steering/corner speed!!!! Playing with the rollcenter of the car can drastically change how the car turns. Try raising the side link 1mm front and rear and see what happens