Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ran the f1r2 on the weekend with a few new bits. Car was better but I'm not sure where to look for improvement.

Pit 572 rear and 571 front
New exotek spur, built with antiware grease
Fluro red centre spring 30wt 3 hole, kit side springs. Went to 20k damper tubes
Black tamiya front spring
1.5 camber, tamiya front end.

Car got into the corners really well, and changes direction fantastically. I dialled in some expo and reduced the dual rate to tame it down a bit.

Only problem was I had zero confidence in the throttle, I couldn't hold it flat through our sweeper or the rear would step out on exit (power on from the straight before there's no lift needed to get it through entry and mid). I also had to be super cautious on power exiting every corner.

Looking for some advice to get some confidence on corner exit. I'm going to rebuild the diff with normal ball grease I think. I was playing with diff setting to try and sort it out, ended up quite weak but it wasn't much better.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JayL
Aaron: ok even more

what timing on motor? I run the sonic 2 in my F1 as well
What esc settings, mostly any drag brake?

do you run the set screw in the front uprights?
do you put any shims under the front spring to help keep it from falling off and what e/c-clip do you run there, the big springy tamiya one, 9805478?

Last, so you run 6mm shims at the rear of the center shock, raising it up?

Thank you

Jay
sorry for the late reply!

Typically I run about 30-40 degrees of timing. I set my motor up based on lap times rather then temperature so the setting can vary slightly. typically i start around a 30/88 with my sonic 2.0

I think right now with my v2 sxx I run the drag brake really high. these cars dont slow down very well on there own... lol you dont want to run so much drag break though that the car breaks lose or becomes inconsistent in the corners when letting off the throttle.

I run both the shims and setscrew in my front uprights. I think running both takes most of the slop and play out of the front wheels.

I do run the tamiya e-clip, 9805478, but typically do not run any washer under the spring. I run the associated 1/12 scale springs and have not had a problem with the spring falling off but it is something i should look at!

Yes i put 6mm on the rear mount for the main shock. By doing that you are triangulating the geometry of the shock into the pivoting motion of the rear pod. if the shock is flat the shock wont really pivot with the car and the dampening will always seem inconsistent.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wollow86
Ran the f1r2 on the weekend with a few new bits. Car was better but I'm not sure where to look for improvement.

Car got into the corners really well, and changes direction fantastically. I dialled in some expo and reduced the dual rate to tame it down a bit.

Only problem was I had zero confidence in the throttle, I couldn't hold it flat through our sweeper or the rear would step out on exit (power on from the straight before there's no lift needed to get it through entry and mid). I also had to be super cautious on power exiting every corner.

Looking for some advice to get some confidence on corner exit. I'm going to rebuild the diff with normal ball grease I think. I was playing with diff setting to try and sort it out, ended up quite weak but it wasn't much better.
I would be happy to help.

What surface are you running on and what side spring do you run?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We will get you on track

Aaron and I finished 1st and 2nd respectively at the big Speedtech asphalt race last week and it looked like the top four cars were all running the Tamiya kit front tires. I notice with the 'kit' front tires it is much easier to get on throttle on corner exit and makes all of the F1 cars much more predictable. Lots of guys tried running 71 fronts and really had to throttle drive to get on power and on occasion you would see them spin out when they pushed too hard getting on power.

Didnt matter what brand chassis, just seems the Shimizu fronts are just a little unpredictable on some outdoor tracks.
With the 'kit' tires they will push when cold which actually helps when the rears are cold but when all 4 tires come up to temps after about 2-3 laps the car will come alive!
Note on the 'kit' fronts, I make 2 sets- 1 set has no belt/ stock insert and the other set has the belt/ stock insert. Most of the time I use the no belt set for more steering but if the track is loose I will go to the belted set. Front tires are pretty much the only major thing I change now when going to any track

PS- I wouldn't sauce the front tires on asphalt although I will clean the marbles off lightly with Buggy Grip if I need a little more steering.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Mike,
Would you be so kind as to provide part numbers for the Tamiya "kit" tires you mention, please?

Scott
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Mike,
Would you be so kind as to provide part numbers for the Tamiya "kit" tires you mention, please?

Scott
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=580
Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks guys :-).

Surface is a boral coat asphalt paint, painted onto an old tennis court (I was told the name of the concrete type tennis court surface but I can't remember).

Side spring is kit exotek. I have AE blue, black and green available.

Tamiya kit should be easy to access, the lhs actually has them in stock :-). Part number would be helpful if you have it though?

Mike it sounds exactly like what I was experiencing on the weekend, the car was just on the edge of rotating out of the corners so I had to be really careful. Lots of little half spins when I got greedy with the throttle.

Car was still very quick. Won the final by quite a margin. I just know it can go quicker :-).
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Just remember, belt and non belted sets, lightly clean w/ buggy grip for more steering and put some heat into the tires before taking the first few corners at speed or your car may push out and meet and greet a wall By lap 3 they should be ready to battle.

Tamiya Front F104 Kit Tire #51399

How to mount them on Exotek +3 wheels;
http://www.exotekracing.com/f104-3mm...tires-4-black/
Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Good start to the new UF1 season!
Aaron and I had crazy good, back and forth battles for first place finishes in the 3 mains. We sit 1st and 2nd in points right now.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Aaron and/or Mike: Advice on how you set your side springs, please
Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Silver springs, just barely touching the side links are how I set mine. Anti wear grease or wee bit o thread lock on the spring nut to keep it from changing. Honestly for me though side spring setting is the least noticeable change. Seems to change my overall consistency more so then single lap speeds but maybe that's just me?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
Silver springs, just barely touching the side links are how I set mine. Anti wear grease or wee bit o thread lock on the spring nut to keep it from changing. Honestly for me though side spring setting is the least noticeable change. Seems to change my overall consistency more so then single lap speeds but maybe that's just me?
what he said. Once tweak is set rarely change the side spring tension
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Got the same probleme with the same tires on carpet , when i sauce the front , the rear is very very touchy , always on the edge. As the sauce go away the front become lazy , but the rear is good.
I'm searching for a setup to have both good front and rear ...
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ph3nyx
Got the same probleme with the same tires on carpet , when i sauce the front , the rear is very very touchy , always on the edge. As the sauce go away the front become lazy , but the rear is good.
I'm searching for a setup to have both good front and rear ...
Have either of you tried 74 and 75 pit tires on carpet? it is a softer compound then the 71/72's. I know at my local carpet track that tire combo has a lot more grip and is the preferred tire for f1 racers.

Also how much caster and toe-out do you run?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

i've the 574 in stock but the car il already touchy with the 571, Unfortunatly i don't have the 575

5° of caster and 1°toe out

i've tried different setup around the central and the laterals dampers but nothing that realy improve the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.