R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #706
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just got my F1R kit today and I am struggling to understand the side damper shock through cap assembly. The instructions say use part "A" 12R5 pivot ball in the cap with part "O" M3x18 CS screw through it and the 7mm aluminium post part "N". Physically you cannot fit an M3 screw through the 12R5 pivot ball as the hole through the pivot ball is semi blocked at the top by some little tabs.

The instructions are pretty hard to understand at the best of times so looking for any advice on the side damper install I can get.

Thanks!

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #707
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda View Post
Just got my F1R kit today and I am struggling to understand the side damper shock through cap assembly. The instructions say use part "A" 12R5 pivot ball in the cap with part "O" M3x18 CS screw through it and the 7mm aluminium post part "N". Physically you cannot fit an M3 screw through the 12R5 pivot ball as the hole through the pivot ball is semi blocked at the top by some little tabs.

The instructions are pretty hard to understand at the best of times so looking for any advice on the side damper install I can get.

Thanks!
Those little tabs need to be broken away. They are just some leftover flashing from when the pivot ball was formed. Once cleaned up you can thread the M3 screw all the way through.

Or replace the pivot balls with the Associated ones for the RC12R5. They are already cleaned up and have a nice low friction coating.
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #708
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer robert View Post
Those little tabs need to be broken away. They are just some leftover flashing from when the pivot ball was formed. Once cleaned up you can thread the M3 screw all the way through.

Or replace the pivot balls with the Associated ones for the RC12R5. They are already cleaned up and have a nice low friction coating.
Thanks for the tip. Chassis complete and working. Looking forward to getting it on the track now

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #709
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Where did you find a kit at? I"ve been looking for months and can"t find one anywhere.
2014 F.E.D.S. Mod Sprint and Sportsman Late Model Champion
2013 FSERA World GT State Champion
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #710
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It's been discontinued. I have one for sale if you're interested: Tamiya Exotek F1R Conversion - 40% off
silencery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #711
Tech Regular

nbhc.com.au had some in stock.

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #712
Tech Apprentice

Any news on the F1R2?
prorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Testing going well. More updates to follow. Eta Nov 2013.

http://www.exotekracing.com/news.php?newsid=17

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #714
Tech Regular

I am driving the F1R, and I like it alot, this new F1R2 makes me wonder what areas are you improving? Will you be making it so that it is possible as with the F1RUltra to run the battery acroos the bottom?
I would also like a motorpod with even more height adjustability for the rear axle

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #715
Tech Regular

I'm having trouble getting the rear end sorted on the F1R. I am really struggling to get the setup with enough rear grip. I find that on power corner exit the car spins always unless you are so gentle, also the car breaks traction mid corner on high speed turns. The car is currently uncompetitive and very difficult to drive. I have tried Ride R1 front and rear, R1 rear with Pit medium front, pit soft rear and either R1 front or Pit medium front. The Pit tire up front is best for being able to actually turn a corner without massive understeer but then has too much front grip for the total lack of rear grip. Any help appreciated.

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #716
Tech Addict

Quote:
I'm having trouble getting the rear end sorted on the F1R. I am really struggling to get the setup with enough rear grip. I find that on power corner exit the car spins always unless you are so gentle, also the car breaks traction mid corner on high speed turns. The car is currently uncompetitive and very difficult to drive. I have tried Ride R1 front and rear, R1 rear with Pit medium front, pit soft rear and either R1 front or Pit medium front. The Pit tire up front is best for being able to actually turn a corner without massive understeer but then has too much front grip for the total lack of rear grip. Any help appreciated.
were do you run your f1 at I got a f1 also its a f104w. I like foam tries they do ok in a parking lot. Try backing off the diff a little bit.
5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #717
Tech Addict

You also need about 2 or 3 mm in the rear pod so back off your center spring some and give it more droop.
5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #718
Tech Regular

I have been running a F104V2 since the car came out. Just picked up a F1R for local club racing. Wanted to keep the V2 TCS legal.

Has anyone run the Sweeps F1 Tires? We run on a Med/High rug. Pit 71/72 work good. 1 of the guys just threw a F109 together and ran the sweeps, his car is very fast. Peaked my curiosity.
Kyosho RB6, MP9e TKi
Mechintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #719
Tech Elite

Quote:

Good grip from tires are very dependent on track temps. What are track temps like?

Here in sunny california the standard tire is 71/72 shimizu combo. Gobs of steering with good rear grip. When the shimizu front tires are too grippy then a great choice for asphalt is the Tamiya Kit front medium tires.
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=580

On most asphalt tracks the combo I run is the Tamiya med front (NO belt) and the Shimizu hard rear. Both w/ stock inserts. This combo really let's me get on the throttle hard but still have really good turn in. The only problem is the rear tire can over heat when the track temps get really high. I wish Shimizu made a true hot weather rear tire!

A few racers have tried the Ride R1 but we always end up going back to the 'hard' (hot) rear shimizu.

Another thing you want to do is go with a soft top shock spring. I have made some pretty soft springs by cutting down some B4.1 green springs

Some good 1/12th tire sauce routine is needed also. Buggy grip (blue dot trinity) does wonders for Shimizu tires but don't sauce the fronts much.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...

Last edited by MikeR; 10-15-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #720
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
I am driving the F1R, and I like it alot, this new F1R2 makes me wonder what areas are you improving? Will you be making it so that it is possible as with the F1RUltra to run the battery acroos the bottom?
I would also like a motorpod with even more height adjustability for the rear axle
What are we improving? Everything The only thing the same still are the nylon links.