Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

UF1 Midwest was 100% spec on the tires inserts and wheels. However, most other races are open tires and inserts at this stage. Even so, you will see guys putting CA on the sidewall as it is the easiest way to tune your car in without changing a bunch of parameters on the car. If your car is working well except maybe lifting a tire in 1 or 2 corners, do you want to upset everything with a bunch of changes, or do you want to just put some glue on the tires? I know what I would do....
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Thanks, Rick. Amazing how fast your responses come in from Mars!

I'm not a fan of the idea of CAing the sidewalls and have been trying to come up with an alternative. I assume that there is a rule somewhere against non-stock inserts, ie closed cell foam. Correct?
4G is available now here!

I'm not a fan of gluing sidewalls either but it beats the alternative of watching your car flip off the track. For the UF1 Midwest series we ran Pardus tires as the spec. You had to used the included inserts as is. Depending on your local club rules you may be able to try different inserts. My experience has been that inserts are a fine tuning feature and will not cure traction roll outright. That is more a function of the tire construction and compound.

Rob, just made my post redundant! LOL..
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

TQRC doesn't have the F1r in stock, nor does Exotek. Stormer does have an F1Ultra, but I know that is intended for the F103. Any other suggestions?
Can an F1r flexi main chassis plate be substitued with the F1Ultra?
Hi, Did you email me already by chance?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yes sir, that was me. I thought I'd put my RCTech.net logon in the e-mail. Sorry if I didn't.

Scott
Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
4G is available now here!

I'm not a fan of gluing sidewalls either but it beats the alternative of watching your car flip off the track. For the UF1 Midwest series we ran Pardus tires as the spec. You had to used the included inserts as is. Depending on your local club rules you may be able to try different inserts. My experience has been that inserts are a fine tuning feature and will not cure traction roll outright. That is more a function of the tire construction and compound.

Rob, just made my post redundant! LOL..
Are you guys gluing the sidewall of rubber tires
E
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

Yes sir, that was me. I thought I'd put my RCTech.net logon in the e-mail. Sorry if I didn't.

Scott

Very good- I'll be following up
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EricF
E
Just on carpet tracks.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

E
Yes, It provides stiffness to the sidewall and stops the car from rolling over once the sidewall of the tire catches (traction roll). It is an old foam tire trick.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Rob K and Rick,
I understand where you're coming from and I am a strong proponent of the KISS principle. It just somehow seems..........wrong. :-)
Without split compounds between the treads and sidewalls, or having to have multiple mounted tires with different inserts, I'm afraid I'll just have to get over it and buy a bigger bottle of CA.

Scott
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

I had thought about having some sort of flat donut of fiberglass, CF, or Kevlar to glue to the INSIDE of the sidewall to cut down on sidewall flex. Another idea was to have stiffer, more "filling" inserts for the tires. I'm getting to the point that the principle of "Keep It Simple, Stupid" is being violated with my line of thought. Is there a brand/type (instant, slow, etc) of CA that is preferred?

Scott
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

No I haven't gotten one yet. Not sure what to buy, I think I'm pretty sure I want to stay in the Tamiya brand (but what version?), but I'm more than a little confused when it comes to all the different aftermarket companies and tires, etc.

Do I need an Exotec chassis, the quality of their products look great but is it necessary $$ to spend?

This F1 stuff doesn't seems very easy to understand what's what.

When I get one I'll race it Competition Hobbies, John Barr already has one and I've seen Lonny creeping around in the F1 threads as well.
E
Be careful you don't get the F1R kit and the Exotek F104V2 upgrade parts confused. If you have an old F104, then the F1R is the right kit. If you have a V2, then just the upgrade parts are needed.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

I had thought about having some sort of flat donut of fiberglass, CF, or Kevlar to glue to the INSIDE of the sidewall to cut down on sidewall flex. Another idea was to have stiffer, more "filling" inserts for the tires. I'm getting to the point that the principle of "Keep It Simple, Stupid" is being violated with my line of thought. Is there a brand/type (instant, slow, etc) of CA that is preferred?

Scott
I use Zap, the slowest setting CA my shop sells. I follow the Youtube instruction video for tire gluing: make sure you put glue on the surface of the tire that the rim meets and make sure it is has a good even bead of glue so it doesn't dry and catch as you twist the rim. I make sure I put in enough CA that it will wet the surface that overhangs the rim and wets the bead of the rim and wheel where they meet, but doesn't run out. Blue Scott towels come in handy if a little too much CA makes it out to the wheel. I do one odd step though: After I glue the bead, twist and twist again if needed, I take the assembly and drop in on my old F103 rear pod and give the axle a spin to check for wobble. If there is, give the rim another twist in the tire. If not, let it set and dry face down. This allows any excess glue on the inside of the rim to run back down to the tire and wheel on the inside. I've torn the flap on the sidewall and still have good contact with the rubber on the rim inside. I don't touch the back of the wheel until the front is dried. I still use the slow thick CA on the back too, then smooth the bead with my finger and let it sit until dry.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can get the F1r kit at ,can"t seem to find one anywhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Yes, It provides stiffness to the sidewall and stops the car from rolling over once the sidewall of the tire catches (traction roll). It is an old foam tire trick.
That's why I was confused, I haven't actually seen many F1 tires up close, I don't know how stiff or not stiff their sidewalls are. Thanks for clearing that up.
E
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Be careful you don't get the F1R kit and the Exotek F104V2 upgrade parts confused. If you have an old F104, then the F1R is the right kit. If you have a V2, then just the upgrade parts are needed.
Thanks, I will try and make sure I ask the right questions when I finally get a car.
E

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.