Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Too much front bite

Ohh- so there you go. The R3's are likely the problem. They have the big inserts and don't generate as much rear grip as the sets that come with the thin insert. Your R3's might even be toast or glued unevenly causing the bounce- not good.

You really have to try the set up that was included with the F1R. All of the top guys in the UF1 series are running variations of these tires on carpet.

If you don't have a rear set with thin inserts then you will need to soften up the side springs even more. Try a run without the side springs even. You may be surprised at how easy to drive the car becomes
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-screen-shot-2011-12-07-10.35.43-pm.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm heading to the track tonight and I will give this a try. I will have to order the ps-572 and give them a try. Checked the glueing job I did on the current set and looks good, like I say the car only will hop at mid to exit of corner. Other than that the car runs very smooth, really like the look of this kit, just want to get it race worthy.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Sounds good!
By the way- is this on carpet? What kind of tire sauce prep are you doing? This plays hugely into the Pit tires as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeR
Sounds good!
By the way- is this on carpet? What kind of tire sauce prep are you doing? This plays hugely into the Pit tires as well.
The track I run at 99percent of the time is indoor, high bite tennis grade asphalt. I have been saucing the rear only with ground effects. I have plenty of steering so I only do the rear
Old 12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdave1
3mm rear and 4mm front. went to 20wt in damper, 2mm pod droop. tires are pit med/hard fronts and r3s rears. the car starts into the turns great but either spins out or traction rolls. I had stiffened the car up all around and this made the car worse so I went back soft but still have the spin out or traction roll problem. also the car will hop on occasion mid to exit turn.
Mike has your back--take his advice
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
Mike has your back--take his advice
Practice went good last night, I actually left the side springs off and went to a 20wt in my side damper. Car was comfortable to drive and fun! Now I need to chase just a little more steering! Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is the f1r meant to be engineered towards stability 'understeer' as it's weight distribution compared to the older exo104 appears to suggest so.

I've found the older exo104 on rubber to be a handfull.
But in wide config on foams! Well it's something else!

My only real comparison is a stock 103 which is pretty dialed.

Still working on my older exo104 before i bite the bullet on the f1r.

Anyone done any back to back comparisons yet?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
Is the f1r meant to be engineered towards stability 'understeer' as it's weight distribution compared to the older exo104 appears to suggest so.

I don't really have a lot to compare to, I normally run a F109 which is an awesome car! I have a 104X1 but haven't had much luck. After following Mikes advice yesterday my F1R is close to being race worthy, just need to work on a little more steering. And she will be dialed!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JamesHealey

You would be correct. The EXO104 was designed before the advent of the new batch of Pit tires. EXO104 was best suited for what was available at the time- foams and Tamiya rubber. On a high grip track the EXO104 is still a beast (look at IIc results ).
The new F1R was developed for the new batch of Pit tires and also to have a wider set up window for rubber racing on low to high grip tracks when using rubber tires.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

pulled the trigger on one of these badboys tonight along with the recommended Shimizu tires. Going to run a "shorty" lipo in it, does the kit setup work good on carpet with this pack or should I stick with a regular pack?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcdave1
I don't really have a lot to compare to, I normally run a F109 which is an awesome car! I have a 104X1 but haven't had much luck. After following Mikes advice yesterday my F1R is close to being race worthy, just need to work on a little more steering. And she will be dialed!
Sounds like you are very close now. I would add more fr camber and make sure the servo saver is not too soft. Check steering end points to max throw without hitting the stops and you will be a force out on track

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
pulled the trigger on one of these badboys tonight along with the recommended Shimizu tires. Going to run a "shorty" lipo in it, does the kit setup work good on carpet with this pack or should I stick with a regular pack?
Thanks for your support!
Lightweight packs are very beneficial on high grip tracks. Let's you dial up the motor timing a touch without overheating the motor. Low grip tracks it may be a touch too responsive... that's why I developed the lay down steering crank set- to put more weight on the rear of the car/ less on the front wheels, for more stability.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Mike is that the only real benefit to the lay down servo setup is weight bias?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK. I want one. Found out today that I overpaid when I paid off my motorcycle note. By alot. So I got some money back . When will these be back in stock or what dealers carry them?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
OK. I want one. Found out today that I overpaid when I paid off my motorcycle note. By alot. So I got some money back . When will these be back in stock or what dealers carry them?
hehe, I think I got the last one should have it all built up and ready for Mike's this weekend
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
hehe, I think I got the last one should have it all built up and ready for Mike's this weekend
Ha! Figures!
Its great to have you in our F1 posse. We had 6 yesterday. I'm out til after the New Year, but will be in force then. Hopefully have my S together so I can finish a heat. Had a string of bad luck lately. Maybe have a 4th F1 by then if I can get a hold of one of these beauties. Class is exploding, Kendall and Jordan have cars en route. We are about to be the biggest on road class at Mikes! And it looks kinda promising for an F1 class at the Nats. Know for sure soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.