R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #451
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I finally had my first real run of the F1RW,
Running the same tyres i had been running with the F103, (Pit 0545 rears and 0543 fronts),
I turned off the turbo on the tekin for the first race meeting just so i could get the feel of the car, we are allowed to run 21.5 boosted

Straight away there was so much more rear grip, so much so the understeer was quite bad, I had a set of Medium rears but i couldnít get them run in before qualifying, so i just ran the softís and sucked it up for the rest of the night.
Im also going to order a set of soft fronts to try at the next meeting.

Another Big plus with the car is its braking improvement over the 103 was huge. The F103 was always skatey under brakes, so i had braking turned down to 70%, but with this chassis i can nearly turn it back up to 100%.

Even without turbo and understeering badly, i was still running about the same pace as i was with the 103, so itís a good starting point.

Beth.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #452
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello all, I recently picked up a slightly used F1R with 104 front end. It came with a 21.5 brushless and Shorty pack. It came equipped with Pit Shimzu med front, and hard rear. It is what was working at his track. Some of the fast guys are running that combo at our track too. I will be running on med traction asphault treated with soda. The seller raced with a standard pack but recently installed the shorty. He sold it to me before he had a chance to use it. He has the pack mounted in the rear posoition, but he said the other guys at his track have been moving the battery to the front position to keep the car from looping out on him. Do you concur with this statement, or do you have other recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
Exotek F1R-chassistopbattery.jpg  
Rockin G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
Well we are a small race community not that many racers, less than ten and we are all friends so I am pretty sure that none are cheating, besides it is not neccessary with tire sauce, we are running all classes without.

A sunlotion, yes well the sun could be a problem. lol...
Any F1 wheel are alloweed F103, F104, F201, FGX whatever.

Besides the obvious that I have to much grip in front, what is the key factors to a successful setup using foams?
and is there a foam front and rear that are well balanced for F1R? make and number please.
Back in the days when UF1 was wide cars with foam tires I had pretty good success using Tamiya HBR soft rears and either CRC 40's or 45's fronts glued onto f103 front wheels

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=CRC2393

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=CRC2389

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=EXO1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
I finally had my first real run of the F1RW,
Running the same tyres i had been running with the F103, (Pit 0545 rears and 0543 fronts),
I turned off the turbo on the tekin for the first race meeting just so i could get the feel of the car, we are allowed to run 21.5 boosted

Straight away there was so much more rear grip, so much so the understeer was quite bad, I had a set of Medium rears but i couldnít get them run in before qualifying, so i just ran the softís and sucked it up for the rest of the night.
Im also going to order a set of soft fronts to try at the next meeting.

Another Big plus with the car is its braking improvement over the 103 was huge. The F103 was always skatey under brakes, so i had braking turned down to 70%, but with this chassis i can nearly turn it back up to 100%.

Even without turbo and understeering badly, i was still running about the same pace as i was with the 103, so itís a good starting point.

Beth.
Punch it! Sounds like the car is almost there. A lot of racers would love to have that little bit of push but sounds like you are ready for the soft front tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin G View Post
Hello all, I recently picked up a slightly used F1R with 104 front end. It came with a 21.5 brushless and Shorty pack. It came equipped with Pit Shimzu med front, and hard rear. It is what was working at his track. Some of the fast guys are running that combo at our track too. I will be running on med traction asphault treated with soda. The seller raced with a standard pack but recently installed the shorty. He sold it to me before he had a chance to use it. He has the pack mounted in the rear posoition, but he said the other guys at his track have been moving the battery to the front position to keep the car from looping out on him. Do you concur with this statement, or do you have other recommendations?
Looks good and nice motor
If your track is med grip I would probably put on the bigger F104 shock with a 35wt oil and soft spring. Moving the battery forward can def help on bumpy fast tracks but try a little bit at a time which the F1R allows you to do. Just use strapping tape in the slots and the battery post at the front of the chassis and receiver to the back. I would go with softer side springs too.
Be sure to at least try the car as is before making wholesale changes- maybe the cars set up is ok for you. A lot of it has to do with tires.

One thing of note- pit shimutzu tires (from my experience) does not like treatment with aggressive traction compounds when it's a hot asphalt track. They simply overheat and get loose. Simply clean with something mild like Trinity Buggy Grip.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #454
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Back in the days when UF1 was wide cars with foam tires I had pretty good success using Tamiya HBR soft rears and either CRC 40's or 45's fronts glued onto f103 front wheels

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=CRC2393

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=CRC2389

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=EXO1122
Thanks Mike;
I'll give that a go.

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #455
Tech Adept

My F104 Pro does not seem to keep up with the F104 X1's at the track. I am using a novak gtb2 esc and novak 21.5, I know my esc and motor aren't the greatest but I was wondering if motor and esc make a huge differance? It seems to me that a better handling car make a bigger differance. Will the gtb2 esc fit on the F1R conversion using a standand battery pack? Any used F1R conversions out there for sale?
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #456
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5VoltDetonator View Post
My F104 Pro does not seem to keep up with the F104 X1's at the track. I am using a novak gtb2 esc and novak 21.5, I know my esc and motor aren't the greatest but I was wondering if motor and esc make a huge differance? It seems to me that a better handling car make a bigger differance. Will the gtb2 esc fit on the F1R conversion using a standand battery pack? Any used F1R conversions out there for sale?
its a tight fit, and you have to mount the GTB2 on its side between the battery and the link on one side. But I used it like that for a while. I have since went to a shorty pack, and that, I believe, is the way to go. As you can move the battery forward or back, and have room to mount the esc and rx in the open spot.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #457
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Please excuse my ignorance. I bought my F1R used and thus didnt get any instructions. I have got it figured out how to raise the rear eide height, but how do I raise the front? I have the adjustable front arm set. http://www.exotekracing.com/f104-adjustable-arm-set/. I am only sitting at about 2 mm right now. The track we are currently running is a parking lot track. There are, shall we say, inperfections on the surface? It is not exactly a smooth ride. There are a couple guys out there that have their cars pretty dialed and they said I need to raise my height. Of course neither of their F1's are the exotek, so they cant help.

Before I knew any better on the rear, I just tightened the rear spring on mine, thinking it would raise the height. All that did was make my car loose. Like I was driving on ice. I had to slowly apply the throttle or it would loop. I am guessing it was a droop problem since I had it set higher at the pivot than at the rear. I changed the side springs and adjusted tension on the rear spring, moved the battey forward ESC to the rear, etc... all still slippery. As a reminder incase you have other suggestions other than what Mike R gave me above. Still need to get the bigger 104 shock. Still runing Pit med front, hard rear. Like the other fast guys at my track. Tried both with and without White can Paragon...Day was only in the 80's and overcast all day. Also hearing about Ride tires???
Attached Thumbnails
Exotek F1R-chassistopbattery.jpg   Exotek F1R-chassisside.jpg  
Rockin G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #458
Tech Champion

Move the spacers on the front axles around to get the front ride height you want.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default F1R

Congrats Steven Jackson on the Radiopost Grand Prix F1 rubber class win!

http://www.exotekracing.com/steven-j...st-grand-prix/

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #460
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Congrats Steven Jackson on the Radiopost Grand Prix F1 rubber class win!

http://www.exotekracing.com/steven-j...st-grand-prix/
Way to go Mr. Jackson
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #461
Tech Adept

I convinced, I will be getting one of these asap. Is there any video from that race?

Ya know instead of telling us how great a good driver can do with one of these, I bet you'd sell more if you gave one to a not very good driver like myself - then I could tell you how much better I am with it. jus sayin seem like a good Idea to me- lol
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #462
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5VoltDetonator View Post
I convinced, I will be getting one of these asap. Is there any video from that race?

Ya know instead of telling us how great a good driver can do with one of these, I bet you'd sell more if you gave one to a not very good driver like myself - then I could tell you how much better I am with it. jus sayin seem like a good Idea to me- lol
http://www.rctech.net/forum/11231893-post2746.html

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #463
Tech Master

I'm a terrible driver, I give him updates all the time its faster than me.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #464
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have some more setup tips for extremely low grip surfaces with the F1RW,
The other track i race at is a brushed concrete surface, and F1's have always been a challenge there,

I was playing around with the side springs and i found that when i wound them up a few mm, the traction improved but the car tended to wander around making it very hard to drive, but using the forward spring setting with the spring just touching did the job.

I also installed a TRG heavy steel axle to replace the carbon one, its only 30G heavier then the carbon one, but having the weight directly on the axle helped with the grip as well.

Beth.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #465
Tech Addict

Default OH NO !!

Nobody here
5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote