R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #436
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So i have mine mostly together but have struck a snag.
On my f103 I used a small alloy 3 racing shock but on the exotek it doesnt feel sprung enough, im assuming because the t bar and friction plates were helping the spring action.
So as a solution i have tc6.1 shock to use but i need to know what spring to use.

The lightest i have is a 12lb. how does this compare to the tamiya trf springs??
The manual says to use the red. Quick search shows this to be about 11? Is this accurate?

Beth.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #437
Tech Addict

Red face Tires Foam

Can anyone tell me what the letters mean on foam tires like A.B.C. compound. I run on asphalt parking lot in florida.F 104W.and F104. realy dont understand how foam tires are made up.....thanks
5th wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #438
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
So i have mine mostly together but have struck a snag.
On my f103 I used a small alloy 3 racing shock but on the exotek it doesnt feel sprung enough, im assuming because the t bar and friction plates were helping the spring action.
So as a solution i have tc6.1 shock to use but i need to know what spring to use.

The lightest i have is a 12lb. how does this compare to the tamiya trf springs??
The manual says to use the red. Quick search shows this to be about 11? Is this accurate?

Beth.
The Tamiya red is very similar to AE green. Both rated about 12lb by a local engineer. If you ever want to make a softer spring just pick up some off road springs and cut it shorter. Extra soft springs is something I keep in my spares box just in case.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #439
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you are really looking for soft center springs, there are oval spring kits that go down to 4 lb... example
http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...oducts_id=2128

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #440
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the Info Mike, really appreciated.

All the shock mounting stuff arrived today so i was able to get most of the car complete, and the TC6.1 shock with the green spring feels about right and really smooth.

Just waiting on a few more odds and ends to arrive but ill hopefully be able to race it this friday

We should call this the F1RW GP kit

Beth.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #441
Tech Addict

Quote:

Beth.
Nice Car!
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #442
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the Info Mike, really appreciated.

All the shock mounting stuff arrived today so i was able to get most of the car complete, and the TC6.1 shock with the green spring feels about right and really smooth.

Just waiting on a few more odds and ends to arrive but ill hopefully be able to race it this friday

Beth.
Very clean Well done!

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #443
Tech Regular

I have been running my F1R all season in our F1 series and it has been... ups and downs.. From total disaster to some sort of well done!

The car does really enjoy rubber tires as that is the only way I can get it to perform well. However with the rubber tires on I am slower than the other F1's running on foam tires. Even if I drive like a demon I am slower.

I have tried countless combinations of foams and setups but the car will not work properly on foams.
So what goes wrong when running foams? car oversteers badly, sometimes so bad it is undrivable. If you even think of turning it spins out and your going sideways.
I thought I had found a setup but then NO....

Mounted the rubbers and all was fine. I run shimitzu rubber 571/572 i think it is..

foams I've tried them all I think..

I'm thinking that I will rebuild the car during the winter and change the steering with the exotek parts and go shorty LIPO's for next summer, will this help?

So folks, winter i soon upon us but I have one last chance to show that the F1R can excel on foams too...

I need setup for foams..
conditions: motor is 13.5T, long straihgt (50m) no turbo allowed

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Foams will always offer more traction imo so you aren't going to keep up running rubber. Thats why most people think foam vs rubber should be two separate classes. Cant help you with a foam setup. I'm sure Mike can get you going in the right direction though.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #445
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
I have been running my F1R all season in our F1 series and it has been... ups and downs.. From total disaster to some sort of well done!

The car does really enjoy rubber tires as that is the only way I can get it to perform well. However with the rubber tires on I am slower than the other F1's running on foam tires. Even if I drive like a demon I am slower.

I have tried countless combinations of foams and setups but the car will not work properly on foams.
So what goes wrong when running foams? car oversteers badly, sometimes so bad it is undrivable. If you even think of turning it spins out and your going sideways.

Mounted the rubbers and all was fine. I run shimitzu rubber 571/572 i think it is..

I'm thinking that I will rebuild the car during the winter and change the steering with the exotek parts and go shorty LIPO's for next summer, will this help?

So folks, winter i soon upon us but I have one last chance to show that the F1R can excel on foams too...

I need setup for foams..

The opposite happens with my Sybrand FS104WW F104 , very good with F104 foams (Zen 9107/9106SS) but very difficult to setup for me with rubbers (Shimizus 571/572) . My local track has a 58 mm long straight and i am using LRP 13.5T motor with blinky ESC
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #446
Tech Champion

Quote:

I need setup for foams..
What is your tire preparation?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #447
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
What is your tire preparation?
well that is easy, nothing allowed. so it is foams thats it or rubbers

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #448
Tech Elite

Quote:
well that is easy, nothing allowed. so it is foams thats it or rubbers
How do you know racers aren't pretreating foam tires at home? Dry foams really don't hook up that well. Rubber tires works better then untreated foams I must say which is why I mention the pretreatement.

Sounds simply like the front tires have too much bite and the rears not enough right?
Are you allowed to use F103 wheels and foams?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #449
Tech Champion

It would be unfortunate if you had a bunch of sun tan lotion on your hands when you were working on your car. Very sunny in Sweden in the summer right?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #450
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
How do you know racers aren't pretreating foam tires at home? Dry foams really don't hook up that well. Rubber tires works better then untreated foams I must say which is why I mention the pretreatement.

Sounds simply like the front tires have too much bite and the rears not enough right?
Are you allowed to use F103 wheels and foams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It would be unfortunate if you had a bunch of sun tan lotion on your hands when you were working on your car. Very sunny in Sweden in the summer right?
Well we are a small race community not that many racers, less than ten and we are all friends so I am pretty sure that none are cheating, besides it is not neccessary with tire sauce, we are running all classes without.

A sunlotion, yes well the sun could be a problem. lol...
Any F1 wheel are alloweed F103, F104, F201, FGX whatever.

Besides the obvious that I have to much grip in front, what is the key factors to a successful setup using foams?
and is there a foam front and rear that are well balanced for F1R? make and number please.