R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default looking for build tips

Just wanted to know if anyone has built one of theses cars yet. Mine is being shipped as I post and was just wondering if their is any thing I should watch for when building the car. Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave
Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anybody got their car up and running ??

Dave, Mine is partially built. I'm waiting on the laydown servo setup before I finish her off.

Build is pretty straight forward. Make sure the ball swivel mount for the rear pod is balanced out from side to side or the pod won't rotate evenly. Getting the mount and the screws balanced out was a little tricky but don't rush it.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Anybody got their car up and running ??

Dave, Mine is partially built. I'm waiting on the laydown servo setup before I finish her off.

Build is pretty straight forward. Make sure the ball swivel mount for the rear pod is balanced out from side to side or the pod won't rotate evenly. Getting the mount and the screws balanced out was a little tricky but don't rush it.
Thanks for the advice, got mine finished last night and will be heading to the track today for testing! I want the laydown servo also but do you know when it will be offered for sale?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Talked to Mike at Exotek last week and he was looking at around 2 weeks for availablility on the new servo set up.

Am I overlooking the obvious or is that servo arrangement only workable with a "shorty" lipo pack ??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Talked to Mike at Exotek last week and he was looking at around 2 weeks for availablility on the new servo set up.

Am I overlooking the obvious or is that servo arrangement only workable with a "shorty" lipo pack ??
Yes you have to use the shorty pack! Tested the car today and definately handles better than my X did. Finished the day with black front springs, red center spring and 35wt oil in shock and side damper. Car still wants to traction roll if I run to hard into the sweeper! Our track is indoor high bite asphalt and my tires were the pit med front and soft rear, car also wanted to hop in the turns, any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdave1 View Post
Yes you have to use the shorty pack! Tested the car today and definately handles better than my X did. Finished the day with black front springs, red center spring and 35wt oil in shock and side damper. Car still wants to traction roll if I run to hard into the sweeper! Our track is indoor high bite asphalt and my tires were the pit med front and soft rear, car also wanted to hop in the turns, any suggestions?
Your car is too soft side to side. I have noticed that rubber tire cars like to be very stiff on high traction, more than foam even. Maybe this is due to the increased weight of the rubber tire (more unsprung weight). Anyway, I have been running AE gold side springs on my old EXO104 car, and 60wt oil in the side damper. I may try 70wt at some point. I would also reduce camber as much as possible .

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Your car is too soft side to side. I have noticed that rubber tire cars like to be very stiff on high traction, more than foam even. Maybe this is due to the increased weight of the rubber tire (more unsprung weight). Anyway, I have been running AE gold side springs on my old EXO104 car, and 60wt oil in the side damper. I may try 70wt at some point. I would also reduce camber as much as possible .
I did notice that the heavier I went the better the car got! What about front springs, center spring and center shock oil? I have tamiya black spings in the front, 35wt in the center shock and center spring is kit red that came with the X.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Quote:
I did notice that the heavier I went the better the car got! What about front springs, center spring and center shock oil? I have tamiya black spings in the front, 35wt in the center shock and center spring is kit red that came with the X.
That is very close to what i run. Use some lube on the front king pins (thick like a film of Tamiya antiwear grease) and you should be good.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
That is very close to what i run. Use some lube on the front king pins (thick like a film of Tami ya antiwar grease) and you should be good.
I run wind tunnel green cap lube on my king pins, this is pretty thick stuff but not like anti wear grease! Would anyone know what the equivalent crc side spring would be to the AE gold? Thanks for all the help

Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Found my answer to my spring questions, thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Went back to the track yesterday and stiffened the car up side to side with springs and damper oil and all the car wanted to do was spin out going into a turn. Had to return to light springs and lighter oil to keep the back in check. Went to a heavier spring in the front to try to get rid of some front bite but still had the traction roll issue. These are fun cars but only when they handle good!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Dave,

On my V1 Exo104 I'm now running Tamiya option hard up front and option soft in the rear. I have AE 20wt oil in the center shock with the Tamiya's neon orange spring. I'm running very soft side springs (got them from Ray so I don't know exactly what they are) and the car has been rigged up with side tubes (in favor of the side shock) which makes is much easier to change the side to side dampening. I'm using Tamiya black springs up front with medium lube (Speed Merchants Red spooge) on the kingpins.

I control traction roll and wheel hop issues with CA (on the sidewalls). I know this is not ideal but it seems to be the most effective method. I've tested various front springs and found that going softer spring up front you'll lose steering which can/may help prevent traction roll.

The Shimizu tires will have more traction all around (vs. the Tamiya Option) so you'll need to go heavier in the center/rear and softer up front as already mentioned. If not, the car will be very unstable and erratic in chicanes and tight technical sections of the track. This is what I found for my driving style and level.

-John
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Went back to the track yesterday and stiffened the car up side to side with springs and damper oil and all the car wanted to do was spin out going into a turn. Had to return to light springs and lighter oil to keep the back in check. Went to a heavier spring in the front to try to get rid of some front bite but still had the traction roll issue. These are fun cars but only when they handle good!
The F1R definitely likes softer side springs as included and softer oil as shown in the instructions.
What tires are you running now? Have you tried the Pit tire combo shown in the instructions? Hows your ride height? The firmer springs up front only help as long as it doesn't raise up the ride height.
+1 on ca on the front sidewalls if needed.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Quote:
Ride height 3-4mm?

What oil in the side damper?

What pod droop?

Camber?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Ride height 3-4mm?

What oil in the side damper?

What pod droop?

Camber?
3mm rear and 4mm front. went to 20wt in damper, 2mm pod droop. tires are pit med/hard fronts and r3s rears. the car starts into the turns great but either spins out or traction rolls. I had stiffened the car up all around and this made the car worse so I went back soft but still have the spin out or traction roll problem. also the car will hop on occasion mid to exit turn.