Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys, New on the thread but thought i would join in and share my F1R with you all

Please ignore the bad geometry this was while i was mid build

You will see i make a small change and use a trg tube damper, i find this easier to adjust track side

Daz
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dazzler-pws
Hey Guys, New on the thread but thought i would join in and share my F1R with you all

Please ignore the bad geometry this was while i was mid build

Daz
Great job at the BRCA F1 Nats!

http://www.exotekracing.com/f1r-wins...-f1-nationals/
Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

My car is now all mounted and the body is done.

I had a run last sunday and it was a disaster.
I had way to much steering in the front so the car did slide and piruette all over... temperature was low 7 degrees celsius
this is mostly down to the tires i guess. I glued 4 points on the front foam tires and it was better for a little while...

I need a good foam tire choice for the F1R when ruuning outdoors on unprepared track.
My F1R : 13.5T, rear side spring as per manual, main damper TRF with white spring (it came with the damper)
Current foam are Zen 9106(rear) and 9107(fronts)

thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Couple of questions here folks. Finally decided to finish building my F1R. I have the servo relocation kit on it and I just ordered the Exotek adjustable upper arms. Would anyone see any reason to get the adjustable upper suspension mounts ? They would seem redundant but I'm new to 2wd F1 so I thought I'd ask.
Regarding tires, are the Pit Shimizu's considered the best choice for this chassis ? I'm racing on outdoor asphalt in Florida so track temps are fairly high. Have seen some comments that the Pits may not be best for this.
Could you folks make mention of which particular bodies you've found work best on the F1R ? My F104 started as a F60 chassis so no problems aside from a bit of trimming in the rear. I'm wondering which bods are being used as the basis for some of the more realistic paint jobs aside from the F60. I was looking at the Chevron bodies but they seem to be unavailable.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After 2 weekends of my bad driving, I give the new Exotek link front end the thumbs up. Very durable, I put that to the test quite often. Adjusts easy as well, and stays there.

Evo, I've used both the f60 and the mp4/24. Also like the f104w bodies as well. Haven't got ahold of any of the other brands, although Reflex Racing in Houston sells the TRG bodies.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Couple of questions here folks. Finally decided to finish building my F1R. I have the servo relocation kit on it and I just ordered the Exotek adjustable upper arms. Would anyone see any reason to get the adjustable upper suspension mounts ? They would seem redundant but I'm new to 2wd F1 so I thought I'd ask.
do you mean part # 54202? If yes, then probably not as it adds weight to the front of the car BUT it would allow you to change the camber gain during suspension compression.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Guy's ! Gotta tell you, after all these years in touring cars; getting into 2wd F1 makes me feel like a complete newb !! Appreciate the patience.
Just got done reading this entire thread. Anybody else using the TRG side damper tube ?? It was mentioned earlier in the posts. I'm not a real fan of that associated 12th scale unit. Just seems very sloppy. Thoughts ?
Hey Mike, how's that new wheel project coming along ??
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Exotek front end kit lets you adjust camber and caster. This is huge, totally worth it. The adjustable upper mount will allow you to change arm length (like the holes on a TC bulkhead), which is also a very good change as well.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Am I correct thinking that the adjustable upper mount effectively becomes a roll center adjustment if you have the Exotek adjustable links Rob ?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Am I correct thinking that the adjustable upper mount effectively becomes a roll center adjustment if you have the Exotek adjustable links Rob ?
Yes, exactly. It can make a big difference in how quickly your car reacts, which is a nice way to tune how easy or hard to drive it is
Old 05-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

The stock plastic upper mount has different camber setting so it can adjust just like the alloy mounts.

Use spacers on the inner balls to adjust roll center. Use the different hole settings to adjust arm length just as Rob and Jay mentioned. Use the Exotek arms to adjust camber and caster. With familiarity you can adjust all areas just like a sedan
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tudor_47
My car is now all mounted and the body is done.

I had a run last sunday and it was a disaster.
I had way to much steering in the front so the car did slide and piruette all over... temperature was low 7 degrees celsius
this is mostly down to the tires i guess. I glued 4 points on the front foam tires and it was better for a little while...

I need a good foam tire choice for the F1R when ruuning outdoors on unprepared track.
My F1R : 13.5T, rear side spring as per manual, main damper TRF with white spring (it came with the damper)
Current foam are Zen 9106(rear) and 9107(fronts)

thanks!

The word from Japan is that the Zen tires are not that good. You might try harder fronts like ZEN (#Z9105H) F104 Front Rubber Foam Type Glued on Wheel 40 (Hard)

And also go to the super soft SS rears or Tamiya F104 soft foam rears.

You might try a softer spring then the white spring. In very low grip levels I use a cut down off road spring

Hopefully your track temps come up soon too!

Also 13.5 is a LOT of motor for low grip unprepared tracks... you may consider changing your car to a wide 103 type set up. 103 rear tires have much more rear end grip.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MikeR
The stock plastic upper mount has different camber setting so it can adjust just like the alloy mounts.

Use spacers on the inner balls to adjust roll center. Use the different hole settings to adjust arm length just as Rob and Jay mentioned. Use the Exotek arms to adjust camber and caster. With familiarity you can adjust all areas just like a sedan
One thing to add, the plastic mount has different spacing compared to the alloy mount. I had assumed that they were the same, but the plastic mount has less camber (shorter arm) than the alloy, even at the 1* setting on the alloy mount when I measured.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
The word from Japan is that the Zen tires are not that good. You might try harder fronts like ZEN (#Z9105H) F104 Front Rubber Foam Type Glued on Wheel 40 (Hard)

And also go to the super soft SS rears or Tamiya F104 soft foam rears.

You might try a softer spring then the white spring. In very low grip levels I use a cut down off road spring

Hopefully your track temps come up soon too!

Also 13.5 is a LOT of motor for low grip unprepared tracks... you may consider changing your car to a wide 103 type set up. 103 rear tires have much more rear end grip.
Thanks Mike!
I have a set of F103 foam in the mail from Ebay, so that should hopefully sort things out. I have also been looking at the rsector widening kit, but I find it somewhat expensive. A F103 front end will do the trick but then I need a new body so that will have to wait.

13.5 should be OK, drove last year with my old F109 with 13.5T. Track is large, OK to drive 1:5 cars on.

i too hope for higher track temp!

The spring, I'll see if I can get my hands on a softer one.

Again Thanks Mike!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Got my f1r last week and raced it at my local track on Sunday. All I can say is WOW!!!
this is the best handling f1 rubber car that I've ever driven. I was using the shimizu front soft and rear hard tires with stock inserts. Car handled great!
I hope this will revive the f1 class around here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.