I've got Most Of the Help from RcTech Members
MAny Thanx To ALL
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #32
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My list seems like an OG list of R/C.

I have met and raced with some of the most talented, respectful and die-hard competitive guys around. From each of these guys - thankful that I had a chance to learn.

Guys with the knowledge and playbook, out of the box thinkers:

Ron Rossetti
Jack Johnson
Gil Losi Jr.
Todd Hodge
Matt Francis
Steve Weiss
Jilles Groskamp

Racers - that were always that much faster but gave me something to chase down - taught me patience and timing:
Tony Phalen
Rod Canare
David Jun
Ling Tong

Guys I respect because they get it and at the end of the day, they love the sport:

Gil Losi Sr.
Gary Keyes
Steve Wang
Oliver Clipper
Camarillo Roadrunners
Dave Bowser

Thanks to these guys. And to my present East Coast peeps - you guys are the next chapter.
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #33
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to wizzles29

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
I have to say Eric Whiteside, the owner of The Track at Harbor Hobbies. I've been in this hobby off and on since I was 15 years old, and it wasn't until Eric bought the Track that I felt someone had gotten it right. He's done a good job of creating a fun an competitive atmosphere.

I whole-heartedly agree. Several times I've watched Eric go out of his way to help people, some of whom probably drive him crazy. If it weren't a two hr drive to get there, I'd probably practically live at The Track.

I'd also have to add our local bike shop mechanic Kris. I got out of racing for a while in college, but he got me hooked on USVTA not long before I graduated. What was a dwindling collection of r/c toys has taken over my whole basement again. And my knowlegde of diagnosing and fixing problems at an LHS turned into wrapping my head around concepts to make cars handle better thanks to him and Eric.
Proud "powder-puff" racer

King Hobbies/Raceway
The Track @ Harbor Hobbies
wizzles29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #34
Gravity RC

My Mom, Scotty Ernst, Jim Dieter, Terry rott, Chad Stowe, Jonior Norton, Brian Kinwald, amongst many others.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

as a newbie (that spends more time scratching his head, crashing and getting in other drivers way)
can only say THANKYOU to everyone at SMA for their help!
---------------------------SMA The Home of GREAT Racing------------------------------
mingnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #36
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Cool thread! I wish I had some big (or any) names to note as mentors or people who helped me along over the past 6 years but sadly, I don't. I was inspired by the local "fast guys" but never really got any help from them. I got all my mentoring and info from 3 sources, #1)Xray T2 setup guide #2)XXX Main chassis setup book, #3) a gazillion hours reading RCTECH!
I need to say though, I have met many great people over the years that have made my RC experience fantastic, wouldn't change a thing.
Jim Chapman
PM Hobbycraft | RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Reds Racing
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #37
Tech Champion

Good to hear many of you getting help from fellow racers in your r/c quest!

For those of you not getting help and needing some, any of the fast guys at your local track should be able to help you out to some degree.

If they do not, then you need to look elsewhere, and rctech is one such place where many helpful people have helped me with questions and I will always also try to help if it's 1/10th electric touring car related!
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #38
Tech Champion

It's important to understand HOW your racing improves, rather than just admit you are faster than you were earlier on in your r/c life.

Things such as understanding car setup and what makes a faster setup for YOU is key

Fast guys are fast because of a combination of factors, not just because they have a fast car.

Equipment - the right equipment for the racer using it.

Attitude/mojo - being able to walk away from the track or a race and not win. Alas, No mojo, no racing...

Ability/Experience/Skill (Call it what you like) - Max out everything you use, consistantly lap after lap.

Time spent in the hobby - explains itself

and not to forget a little luck sometimes!

I have tried to word this as friendly and as simple as possible for the next David Spashett, Marc Rheinard or Masami Hirosaka reading this
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....

Last edited by tc3team; 11-17-2011 at 04:33 AM.
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #39
Tech Master

Thanks to these guys I have been having a great time in this sport for 8 years now:

Larry Stone: Got me started
Tony P: R.I.P, taking me to my first race.
Chris Lockheart: for spending after hours many after hours at the track.
Skip Starkey: showing me the fast way around.
Ralph Burch: showing me how the industry works and giving me a chance on a race team.
Paul Lemiuex: for pushing me to go faster and fixing my car.LOL
Eric Anderson: for building my motors and giving me my first big win. The "F" brush rocked. And putting up with me.Lol

Here are a few others that were there for me in the beginning:

Chris Doseck
Mo Denton
Brad Johnson
Robert Morris
Danny Sulliven
Jack Rimer
Mark Blackketter
Barry Baker
Mike Blackstock
Bobby Flack
Jared Scott
Josh Cyrul

Thanks to everyone. I hope and try to do the same as these guys did for me.

Great thread!!!!!!!

Thanks Drew
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America

Last edited by Drew Ellis; 11-17-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #40
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Rod Hughes, Richard Lake and Lonny Johnson. I think my first ever on-road race was done with Rod's car, was hooked after that. Lonny and Richard were the ones that got me into 12th scale on a very small track inside a small shop. It was the most fun i've ever had racing RC cars. I had an RC12i at the time.
John Barr
On-Road: VBC WildFireD08; VBC Lightning10; VBC Lightning12; VBC Lightning10-235mm
Off-Road: Not likely
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Great thread!

First off, this thread is a great idea, how often do we have time to talk about who made this better for us, as individuals to race toy cars. This is by far one of the best topics on this site.

Personaly, I have a huge list of people to thank over the years but I will do my best to keep it under the 2 minuite minimum. (music begins to play)

First and far most, everyone, and anyone who over the years started, and kept the "Gate" running. Aaron Buran, Jim Herrman, Ray Whoo-Hung!, The Medveds, Kelly Bean, The Adam's, Eric Jones, Tony Williams, Chuck Mackin, Gerbers and on and on... With out them, well, no track no legendary raceway.

Brad Johnson- great lap dances

Chicky/Parma- Chicky for setting the local talent bar so high, and Parma for all the tires and bodies over time!

John Peoples- All around hero, great guy!

Todd Hodge/Losi- Gave me a shot

Seaball- Well, he just about does everything I can't, fixed cars, designed cars, gave me cars to run when I did not have one. Basicly, the only guy in the hobby that thought, "Wise, yea he can do this, he just needs some help." Help is an understatement. He personaly has taken my race program over at times to keep me "in the game" He is willing to help with anything I need done if I do not have the time. Basicly he is the largest reason that I am at all able to do this hobby/sport at all. Alston said it best when he talked about him and James becoming friends. That is one of the great parts about this sport, there are some great people to meet and lifelong friends to make.

With that being said, now back to our usual banter-

Mike Demone
7-Eleven, National Accounts Manager
Ridgemont, CA, 90026
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #42
Tech Master

Rob King-
He has never failed to answer any question I've had over the years,I wouldn't be racing on-road if it wasn't for him and VTA.
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #43
Tech Regular

I have to go with John and Pam at Fastcats back few years ago for all the support, then Chicky for being my second dad, my dad and my friends at team Associated (Sean, Rick Bob) and many more. Oh can,t leave Todd Hodge out of it. thank you all
Keven Hebert

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #44
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Thumbs up

I would like to also mention those who race with me on a daily basis..... My East Coast Crew!..... Guys especially from the Horsham / JacksonRC tracks and Donny Lia's new track, 360 2.0...... I'm very lucky to be part of a great hobby but most importantly, being around unselfish people who take the time from there own race programs to make sure our car handles and performs well and with that added knowledge, I too have dedicated my time to help those who seek advice and set-ups to get around the track.....

..... We're continuing to evolve in this hobby and with technology and product being the best it's ever been. Having a good group of Guys and Women who help out, makes the transition to RC racing that much better......

.... And to all of you who take the time to help others, I salute you.... Keep up the good work!
Alex Valdes

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Brian Wedge, Carbon Joe, Wayne, Chris G, Ron, Dave M and everyone at the Gate. It was a tough learning curve for me two years ago when I started and without the help and a ton of patience I would have washed out quickly. Special thanks to Brian who helped me a ton with car parts and encouragement. Man it was tough for a while.

Good times.
At The Gate Bizzos
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote