Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Opinions on best RTR drift car >

Opinions on best RTR drift car

Opinions on best RTR drift car

Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default Opinions on best RTR drift car

Im looking to buy a low cost 1/10 drift car thats ready for brushless power system. Id like it to be shaft drive.

Ive looked at the HPI E10 Drift but I really don't like the plastic drive shafts and I've read bad things about what happens to this car when brushless power is applied.

Ive looked at the ofna JL10 and Associated TC4 but these are not dedicated drift cars so I don't know how they would do.

Any other advice? I have a Duratrax Element 3900kv combo to go in it and I don't mind buying a body and appropriate wheels/tire if I have to. Im also not afraid to build a car from a kit.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ive looked at the ofna JL10 and Associated TC4 but these are not dedicated drift cars so I don't know how they would do.
any car can be a drift car with the appropriate tires and suspension and steering setup. I know a lot of guys using Xray T2's as drift cars.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Thats a nice looking car for sure, but its belt drive. Where I live its very gritty and dusty which ends up killing the belts FAST. I need a shaft drive.

Ive seen some more upgrade parts for a E10 that may solve some of the chassis flex issues and an aluminum spur in 48p so that would allow me to use the pinions I already have... that may be the way to go.

Though I am still toying with JL10E, simply because it looks like a really well built kit and its cheap... but there is very little aftermarket parts support, so thats a concern.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
Thats a nice looking car for sure, but its belt drive. Where I live its very gritty and dusty which ends up killing the belts FAST. I need a shaft drive.

Ive seen some more upgrade parts for a E10 that may solve some of the chassis flex issues and an aluminum spur in 48p so that would allow me to use the pinions I already have... that may be the way to go.

Though I am still toying with JL10E, simply because it looks like a really well built kit and its cheap... but there is very little aftermarket parts support, so thats a concern.
The ONFA is a good entry level car, as for aftermarket parts, well thats not usually an issue unless you want or need bling. The car i drive has very little on offer as well in the way of tuning parts, so where i could i made my own.

Its pretty easy to make shock towers and upper decks out of carbon fiber sheet all you need access to is a drill and a dremel and have a bit of time and patience, those are the main things you would want to stiffen up to reduce chassis flex, after that its about tuning the shocks and diffs with the right weight oils.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
. Where I live its very gritty and dusty which ends up killing the belts FAST. I need a shaft drive.
You really need a car with COMPLETELY enclosed gears & diff
Tamiya TB03 would be perfect. A really good car. Same suspension as TA05.

Some shafties still have exposed gears, they wont last , you'll get crap in em by the sounds of things.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Don't buy e10 unless you upgrade it. A lot of guys like tc4. If I was you I would look for something used . To get a car to drift is mostly tires . Most of the time you mod the front end any way . I have a Sprint 2 cut the bulk ends out ,holes in the chassis never had a problem with belts. Now I'm going cf chassis with it . Just don't buy tt01 unless you are only doing drifting with it (they suck for racing ) any way post back with what you go with
Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

I have a tamiya tt01 and it drifts well.
There is even a drift version available (mine isn't) that comes as a kit or xb= expert built.
The kit is fairly inexpensive and lots of hop ups available.
I didn't go brushless yet, but I've been running a 19t motor with lipo.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Maybe the TC4 would be best. I know I can get parts for it and its a solid, proven shaft drive layout. I don't want to mess with anything. I just want a car I can play with and not think too much about. I run mostly off road but have been watching RC drifting videos lately and when I looked into what these cars cost to buy/build I was blown away at how cheap I could do it. I have all the electronics so Id just need the roller. If I buy a car thats RTR id sell the electronics to get back some $$... I like the HPI cars because they are cheaper and have 2.4 radios and waterproof electronics (worth more to sell). The Ofna is just plain cheap but looks like a really well built platform and the Associated is a good looking ride as well...

Ill post up what I decide. My plan is to just pick up a set of cheap drift wheels/tires from e-bay to try it out with. If I like it ill buy some better ones.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I drifted my tc4 and it works great. Tune the suspension to really super soft as you can ( I use HPI titanium drift springs) , spool in the back, and tighten the front diff 1/4 turn out or 1/2 depending how tight the track is. Also get HPI tdrifts and not ABS. HPI tdrifts is worth the money and that is coming from me who didn't wanna spend the money for ABS and found myself spending more money on the ABS stuff than hpi tdrifts.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

tamiya FF03
FWD,closed gear,parts and hop ups availability are unbeatable
and its tamiya
Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

Thats a nice looking car for sure, but its belt drive.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

FF03 is front motor FWD
so its not belt driven
Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minilantern
FF03 is front motor FWD
so its not belt driven
How is a front wheel drive chassis drift?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cartix
How is a front wheel drive chassis drift?
as well as a Honda Civic does in 1:1.... IT DOESN'T
Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

LOL!!! ^^^

I'm also thinking about getting into the drifting scene. I am thinking about buying a Sprint 2 Drift but I'm curious if the car has any downfalls. Are the diffs hard to remove? Weak parts? Belts or diffs have any problems? I have a couple friends that are interested in drifting as well and they have never been into RC before so I'm looking for some good entry level kits so parts, spares, and setups can be shared.

I may end up going with a Spint 2 Sport for the VTA class stuff and if I dont like it I could end up turning it into a drifter. Just looking for a cheap way to get started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.