Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RevTech 17.5 Bad Motor????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My rev tech runs at 175* every time I race. Go down on the pinion temp goes up and go bigger temp goes up. I think I'll dial a little running out but the car is just as fast at the end of a run if not faster.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gerrie
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and live in South Africa. not to sound stupid, does this mean that each line on the motor is equal to 3 degree timing? If so, that means I'm running my motor 21 degree timing. My motor temp is 77*C. So far I have had no problems with it.
A brushless motor needs some positive timing to work best. Most motors today are made so that when the timing mark is at the zero line, there's about 30 degrees of positive timing. Think of rotating the endbell as "Added timing" by mechanical means. You can also add timing by electronic means through the speed control. It's important to know how much base mechanical timing your motors have at the zero mark before adding electronic timing (boost/turbo/cheat/whatever). It's also important to know how much timing each line adds. More timing(regardless of source) = lower torque, greater heat, greater RPM. I believe that each line on the Rev is 8*, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

Revs have been advertised as the next big thing for no(electronic) timing classes, but it's not living up to expectations, at least on 2S application. Can't seem to stand the heat generated by mechanical or electronic timing. Couple that with the through bolt issues, and they're a no go.

You wanna run 2S and boost on a Trinity motor, don't choose a Rev. You wanna run 2S and high mechanical timing on a Trinity motor, don't choose a Rev.

1S the jury is still out.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I put the Duo 3 in it again. Going to practice tonight. I hope there is a difference.

Will let this thread know!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It's disappointing to hear that so many racers are having trouble with this motor. Maybe I've been fortunate, but I've experiemented with gearing and timing extensively and was always satisfied with the motor's performance. Furthermore, it's never left the track any warmer than 150 degrees after a 6 minute run. For me, this motor has been a game changer since the moment it was installed in my 17.5 TC, and unless something goes horribly wrong, I plan on keeping one of these motors in my pit box.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Its funny that everyone on here is posting about their problems but we see very very few emails requesting any help or questions through trinity's site (where the customer support is at). Furthermore I have been running the motors in the prototype test and since they come out and have only burned up one....from under gearing it at the Gate. Never been at a HP dissadvantage either anywhere I have been. Not sure why all of a sudden so many guys are saying they have issues or they are not fast. Perhaps they are trying the same gearing and setup as their previous motors.

Anyone needing help with a motor problem please email trinity through their NEW site and Tony P or Billy Bruce will be back in touch with you fairly soon (most of the time within a few hours). The new site was built to make it easier for customers to navigate, purchase and find support for products.

EA
Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Its funny that everyone on here is posting about their problems but we see very very few emails requesting any help or questions through trinity's site (where the customer support is at). Furthermore I have been running the motors in the prototype test and since they come out and have only burned up one....from under gearing it at the Gate. Never been at a HP dissadvantage either anywhere I have been. Not sure why all of a sudden so many guys are saying they have issues or they are not fast. Perhaps they are trying the same gearing and setup as their previous motors.

Anyone needing help with a motor problem please email trinity through their NEW site and Tony P or Billy Bruce will be back in touch with you fairly soon (most of the time within a few hours). The new site was built to make it easier for customers to navigate, purchase and find support for products.

EA
*waves* I sent an e-mail the same day and the same day had an RMA from Billy and shipped it back, customer support has been excellent so far for me. A lot of people assume though that since the package clearly states there is no warrenty on electronics then thats the case. Everybody has problems when a new product comes out, its the nature of the beast. It still sucks to be one of the unlucky few that get a bad one though.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

EA

Agreed. Although I have yet to experience any issues with my ReVTech motors (I run 1S 12th scale), I would still always suggest to email your problems to the manufacturer when dealing with *possible* issues. Posting up on a forum may be a great way to find out if others are having this problem but is a very poor method of ever hoping the information will get back to the right people. They have jobs that don't/can't let them have the time to come up here and drill for information.

Definitely email/contact the Trinity customer support so they can look into this and get the ball rolling. You might find that their support is pretty top notch and come away with a smile on your face.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

EA
Since I purchased my 17.5 from the track I race at I let them deal with the return to Trinity, but 1 question is this the first time you have heard of a bad sensor board on a new 17.5?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bad sensor boards happen sometimes right out of the box. Just comes with territory of buying electronics. Anytime that one has been bad as soon as the box was opened trinity has taken care of it.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Every motor has a sweet spot. Just gear the motor run for 3 min ad check temps. One thing I have noticed is that some guys have minimum soldering experience and they are heating up the solder tabs way to long and they are not putting solder on the tabs which is causing it not to make a good connection.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

EA
I loved the motor. (hate the colors ) After mine went out, I sent an email to trinity with no response. I'll try again.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I loved the motor. (hate the colors ) After mine went out, I sent an email to trinity with no response. I'll try again.
Second email sent.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
*waves* I sent an e-mail the same day and the same day had an RMA from Billy and shipped it back, customer support has been excellent so far for me. A lot of people assume though that since the package clearly states there is no warrenty on electronics then thats the case. Everybody has problems when a new product comes out, its the nature of the beast. It still sucks to be one of the unlucky few that get a bad one though.
Glad Billy got you taken care of and sorry for the trouble. We have seen very few problems though honestly.

Originally Posted by godzukihop
Since I purchased my 17.5 from the track I race at I let them deal with the return to Trinity, but 1 question is this the first time you have heard of a bad sensor board on a new 17.5?
I have gone through a lot of BL motors here in my shop over the years and honestly out of the hundreds Ive only had 2 with bad sensor boards. And those you could tell where the box was dropped. They are electronics and hard drops can cause the sensors to crack. We do sell just the boards as well for future reference if you have an older motor that develops a bad board.

Originally Posted by thisguy2849
Bad sensor boards happen sometimes right out of the box. Just comes with territory of buying electronics. Anytime that one has been bad as soon as the box was opened trinity has taken care of it.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Second email sent.
I have not heard of anyone having this type of failure to be honest. The one I smoked I made it about 2 minutes and it blew from being under geared about 3 teeth (Testing something at the track). At the end of the 6 minute run when I got to my car to temp it (4 min after it died(it was still 240 degrees). Under gearing a bl motor will kill it quicker than over gearing.

LMK if you dont get an answer and I'll see what I can do.

EA
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

I have not heard of anyone having this type of failure to be honest. The one I smoked I made it about 2 minutes and it blew from being under geared about 3 teeth (Testing something at the track). At the end of the 6 minute run when I got to my car to temp it (4 min after it died(it was still 240 degrees). Under gearing a bl motor will kill it quicker than over gearing.

LMK if you dont get an answer and I'll see what I can do.

EA
Thanks Eric.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Revtech

I have two motors and the second one had a bad sensor right out of the box. Fixed it myself. Another guy at the track had his sensor go also after his second outing. We had sensors at the track so it wasn't an issue but we are seeing more sensor failures with this new motor. In blinkey this motor rocks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.