Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's a spool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Default what's a spool?

i keep hearing the word "spool" with the trf415ms ... what's that about? and anyone know when it will be avaliable?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

its just a solid axle......if there aren't already available if you have a spare diff just tighten it up as much as possible without braking the screw.

or you can glue the outdrives intoa one-way diff.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A spool is a diff with locked gear and you can pick one up at Speedtechrc.com.
HTH
Stephen <><
Old 12-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

thx guys

so the spool is used to keep the diff tight?

i will check out speedtech.

thx alot again.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

no, a spool is used instead of a diff....only on some tracks though.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

hmm... after taking a look sure at it....

basically, (correct me if i am wrong) this spool thing just stops the diff from doing its job... so both wheels are directly connected to the outdrives?

does that make the car harder to steer?

thx again.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

No, a spool is different than a dif. Like a one-way and dif, a spool has certain characteristics that make a car handle in a certain way. It retains all the braking capabilities like a dif, but keeps the wheels synchronized at the same speed because it is just a solid axle. This means that the inside wheel spins at exactly the same rate unlike a dif where the inside wheel spins at a different rate causing a difference in traction which in turn affects the way the car handles. There isn't enough room to go into the different characteristics of a spool vs. dif vs. one-way here, but there is plenty of articles on it. Sometimes racers just tighten down the dif by tightening down the tension screw so that it in a sense locks the dif in to becoming a spool. One thing though, because a spool is locked, or solid, it won't give, which places more stress on your drivetrain which many cars don't handle well. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

edseb,

thanks for the reply, that sounds neat.
you have any websites i can learn about the spool. it seems it has the best of both worlds. i run a front oneway and braking quickly is a nightmare
Old 12-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What I have always found is a Spool will giev you less off power steering, but when you get on the throttle, it will bite harder and you will get a little more acceleration. so you will get more steering as well on power. They are nice if you can adapt your driving style to them.

-Korey
Old 12-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

i actually tried a spool for te first time tonight (well a proper spool) and i loved it, gave loads of rip coming out of corners (you could even hear my tyres "ripping" ) and excelent steering coming out of corners (bit of understeer going in but soon sorted that)

i will certainly be using it much much more, next weekend actually...2nd time racing stock next weekend so we will see how it goes
Old 12-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

thanks for helping out a newb guys.

now i wish i knew when the trf415ms is coming out and if i have the cash to buy one =P

Sushi:

since i am the trf is a belt, is it better to use a spool with than a shaft? because most wear will occur on the belt rather than gears?

-Patrick
Old 12-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Wear depends on the car, not necessarily the belt or shaft. It can affect the gears, etc. A spool is nice, but sometimes adds a puch going in to a turn. A one-way often is faster in big sweeping tracks, cause it gives more steering cause the inside tire is rotating slower, giving more traction and if you are racing a big flowing track, the time saved from the cornering will make up for the time gained from braking. It really all depends on the track. Carpet adds a whole bunch of other variables as well. Experiment, what works for one person isn't always best for all. For serious racers carry a spool, one-way and dif in their tool box. Another thing that has gained some popularity lately is to run a spif. It's a dif tightened way down so that a lot of times it will act like a spool but with a slight slip to act like a dif on certain parts of the track.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A spool is the thing that yarn or string comes rolled up on.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

haha

techy joke

but true

the belt is technically made of threads too...

anyone know how it works? or have a diagram for me to look at how a spool works?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

You're over thinking it. A spool is just a locked axle. Both wheels attached together by a bar; its the simplest form of axle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.