R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Good charger? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/56630-good-charger.html)

RCknight 12-04-2004 01:32 AM

Good charger?

I was looking at the Trition and the Turbo 35 GFX. I don't know if I should spend that much on a charger, but then again I don't want to ever buy one again. The Trition seems to have everything on it for the fraction of the price. I don't plan on doing motor stuff and the Turbo 35 requires a 20amp power supply which is another $100. I need some advise here and is it worth paying $500+ for a charger/discharger? The trition only charges at 5amps. Is there a need to go higher? Is this charger more for parkfliers than serious RC racing? I'm going to stay in this hobby for along time.

Hebiki 12-04-2004 02:01 AM

Re: Good charger?

Originally posted by RCknight
I was looking at the Trition and the Turbo 35 GFX. I don't know if I should spend that much on a charger, but then again I don't want to ever buy one again. The Trition seems to have everything on it for the fraction of the price. I don't plan on doing motor stuff and the Turbo 35 requires a 20amp power supply which is another $100. I need some advise here and is it worth paying $500+ for a charger/discharger? The trition only charges at 5amps. Is there a need to go higher? Is this charger more for parkfliers than serious RC racing? I'm going to stay in this hobby for along time.
well if you base it on your philosophy.. GFX is the way to go. "buy it once". right? :nod:

when you get into serious racing.. 6amps is the norm from what i see when i walk around the pits.

get a charger designed for rc cars.. not airplanes. (i used to own a supernova 250s...and i quickly outgrew that since i started to race and needed to charge at 6amps)

there are plenty of great chargers out there....

Integy
Pulsar Comps (1 and 2)
Much More Racing
Team Orion
Futaba
Comp. Electronics
Reedy
Record Breaker

the list goes on...and on.... and on..... good luck on your decision. :D

:spidey:

FlyinGT 12-04-2004 02:12 AM

go a Futaba CDR-5000 !!

has almost everything u need !!
smaller than a GFX-T

JDXray 12-04-2004 05:14 AM

If you want something thats cheap and half the price of a GFX go with the LRP Pulsar Competition 1 or 2. They have linear/flex charging, along with 10amp discharge (could be higher), motor run in. Its also very small about the size of your hand or so. I think the LRP is the best charger for someone looking for something not that cheap but effective.

dont get me wrong the GFX is a sweeet charger, just sometimse its alot to carry around, but its worth it most the time.

Jon

crimson eagle 12-05-2004 10:16 AM

Look at a Pro Trak

Check out these websites, no one else can do this stuff. I've had one for 8 years now.

Chris.

PaZ 12-05-2004 11:51 AM

Pro Trak does everything you need it to do! always wanted one from the 1st time i saw one, never regreted the 150 quid it cost me.

Chazz 12-05-2004 11:58 AM

The LRP Pulsar Comp (1) is amazing :nod: , motor run-in, charge (of course :rolleyes: ) and a 10amp discharge (never used it as i've got a seperate discharger :sweat: )

Chazz

RCGaryK 12-05-2004 12:07 PM

If you're looking for a charger alone, look at the Pit Bull X3. If you're looking for something small that can do basic motor run features, you can't argue with the LRP Competition 2. The Reedy Quasar Pro is nice because it is AC/DC but no motor run feature. But the ultimate would be the GFX. One nice thing on that versus the others is if you are going to cycle your packs, the LRP only has a 10 amp discharge, while the Reedy charger is 20amps max. I believe the GFX will go up to 35 or 40 amps, but not positive. At the worst it does 30 amps which is what most matchers discharge their packs at.

Chazz 12-05-2004 12:15 PM

Also it has amazing quality at a fraction of the price compared to the GFX

Originally posted by Chazz
The LRP Pulsar Comp (1) is amazing :nod: , motor run-in, charge (of course :rolleyes: ) and a 10amp discharge (never used it as i've got a seperate discharger :sweat: )
Chazz

PaZ 12-05-2004 01:09 PM

Is it better to discharge at 30 amps?
The ones i currently run were discharged at 20 amps by my matcher ( TJ Cells ) but he now does 30 amp, if i got 30 amp will it damage the cells as they have always been done at 20

koabich 12-05-2004 01:20 PM

Several years ago when i just just getting into this seriously, I faced the same problem. I bought the bullet and bought a Turbo 35 and never regreted it. i have since sold it and bought 2 GFX's.
This is the last charger you will ever need. They hold their resale value if you ever decide to sell it. Since this is the same technology used by 99.99% of the matchers out there, there is NO better way to charge and maintain your expensive battery packs!

pink pac man 12-06-2004 01:18 AM

i am soon getting 1 of these

i recomend it very highly

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...37104099097.60