Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
21t pinion in m05 tamiya mini cooper? >

21t pinion in m05 tamiya mini cooper?

21t pinion in m05 tamiya mini cooper?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 21t pinion in m05 tamiya mini cooper?

is there any way to run a 21t pinion in a m05 tamiya mini cooper? if so, what are the tips and tricks?

i just got the 3racing ball diff, p/n m05-17/ht and don't want to find out through trial and break it error. i think i read that they may make a smaller gear but i would rather not wait to get another part from hong kong before i gear up.

happy racing
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The M-05 mini allows the use of only three pinion sizes, 16T, 18T and 20T. There is no way to use anything else without altering the motor mount area. You may be able to enlarge the 20T enough holes to allow you to use a 21T pinion. Of course, this would not be allowed in TCS racing events.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
The M-05 mini allows the use of only three pinion sizes, 16T, 18T and 20T. There is no way to use anything else without altering the motor mount area. You may be able to enlarge the 20T enough holes to allow you to use a 21T pinion. Of course, this would not be allowed in TCS racing events.
i am still getting my butt blown off in the long straight. our series is not tcs and i want to keep up with the fast guys.

will i strip the main ball diff gear using a 21t or not? i know i did with the stock gear diff. i never tried enlarging the holes - sounds like this is one way to go if done right as long as i don't screw it up
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Put the 21T pinion on the motor, run the motor at moderate speed while running the teeth against sandpaper. Just enough to file away a small portion to make the pinion diameter a little smaller.

Then just use the normal 20T holes. Ball diff gear will not be affected.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Since the thread starter is trying to get more topend speed, I was wondering about the 3Racing fast gearset. I got a set that will allow a 33/24 max gearing option. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, especially at the Orange County tracks? I know - not TCS legal.

Clay

Last edited by clayrace24; 11-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by clayrace24
Since the thread starter is trying to get more topend speed, I was wondering about the 3Racing fast gearset. I got a set that will allow a 33/24 max gearing option. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, especially at the Orange County tracks? I know - not TCS legal.

Clay
the gearing does work but the teeth are very brittle will strip easy the 21 tooth will work but if you want a little more speed put a one way in .
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not trying to encourage cheating in the mini-class (or anywhere for that matter) but I can say w/o a doubt that those cars (minis) only go so fast until you start playing with the motor...

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of people who can wheel those things stupid fast at a TCS race where there is motor tech, but when the cat (motor checking) is away, the mice will play...

But on a separate suggestion, one of the biggest differences I noticed in speed of minis is the level of noise comming from the transmissions of the fast guys vs. the slow guys. All the fast guys cars are much quieter, which probably means much more efficient.

I suggest packing the diff as solid as possible w/ the antiwear grease to eliminate wasting any power from the inside tire tire unloading. It helped my M05 quite a bit, and made it more driveable. I can say w/o a doubt that ANY powerloss/waste in that class is a huge handicap, especially when a few people have "found" or created some extra power.

Last edited by wizzles29; 11-07-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy and didn't read the car was an M05
Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I spray all of my brushed motors down after every run and oil the bushes, its not cheating and it makes a big difference. No grease in the drive train silicone spray works well. Like others have said pack the diff full, use the thickest grease that you can find. Set your end point adjustments so your dogbones don't chatter. And add ball bearings throughout. And a properly broken in motor works wonders.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Put the 21T pinion on the motor, run the motor at moderate speed while running the teeth against sandpaper.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Rookie

i put a 21 tooth my no problem used the 20 tooth holes with out very thing that everyone is saying
Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im running the 3 racing gear set. i also packed the stock diff with modeling putty to lock it down. geared with the smallest pinion gear and a 22 t pinion and its ok with a 21.5 (legal for tcs but my gears are not.) local track wont care as im not going to run the mini in the tcs races. the car pulls out of the corners good with a locked up diff. my gears are coated with aerocar gear lube (not available anymore to the best of my knowledge but its good stuff)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

"I got a 3racing ball diff" is what you don't want to got. The diff craps out easily and slips so you loose acceleration to a point where you will think your car is slow. I use the stock diff with putty in it.

Going to 21T pinion will improve speed marginally. You are more likely to turn faster laps with better driving and car setup.