Search

Chassis thoughts and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Chassis thoughts and opinions

Ok people.

Last time I have raced on road was about 7-8 years ago and I raced nitro on road specifically a serpent 710. I recently purchased a ff-03 civic kit because I have always wanted a civic hatch back RC car. Well needless to say I went to a track this last weekend and have been sucked back in.

I am seriously considering getting back into rc car racing but have no idea where to begin. I have looked at a few kits. Tamiya 417, HB TCX, Xray T3 etc etc.

My problem is I have no idea where to begin as all these cars all look good on paper but I want to know what you guys think. If anyone feels like checking in with a few thoughts i would be of great help. I have been digging thru forums and reviews for the past few hours with little to no progress.

Im looking for recommendations on a kit and why you like this particular rc car. Please feel free to recommend cars that I have not looked at as well.

Thanks in advanced I am looking forward to your opinions.

Frank
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Serious answer? What does the fast guy run in the class you want to run, and will he talk to you and give you his setup?

Can't miss!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

First thing you should do is see what chassis are most popular where you are going to race, what classes have decent number of entries, ie 17.5 blinky, boosted etc. (this will play a role in the motor you buy and most likely the ESC) Then check with your local hobby shop to see what parts they can get for each chassis. That should help you limit the number of cars to look at. As for performance of each chassis they all have their strengths. I drive a TC6 because the parts are readily available and they are cheaper than most anything out there for the higher end chassis. The 417 is a good platform but a bit frail from my understanding, also parts can be tough to get. This is just what I've heard. The reviews seem to be positive for the new Xray but they are limited availability as they just released. Also Xray is expensive on their parts $8 for one arm when competitors are $8 or less for a pair. The serpent S411 seems to be popular as well but again, I've heard parts availabilty is an issue. Hopefully this helps, good luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the advise guys.

The track that I will be goin to has races every sunday.
Im going to head over there and poke around.

I just hope I don't come off as the weirdo bothering people

frank
Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tcdrvr2
The serpent S411 seems to be popular as well but again, I've heard parts availabilty is an issue.
s411's parts are easy to get
Old 11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tcdrvr2
Also Xray is expensive on their parts $8 for one arm when competitors are $8 or less for a pair.
The xray parts are the strongest available.You wont break many parts, if at all. Double the price of parts doesnt matter if you dont need them.
You would break three times as many (say) Tamiya Associated or HB parts.
I have used Xrays as racers & bashers, only ever broke belts despite cartwheeling down the track or hitting concrete curb at high speed. Tamiya parts: ive broken plenty.

Downside with Xray is you will need to buy parts online, so will be a 2 week delay (at least)
Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdmmax
Thanks for the advise guys.

The track that I will be goin to has races every sunday.
Im going to head over there and poke around.

I just hope I don't come off as the weirdo bothering people

frank
When folks come poking around our track, they end up with a brand new 12th scale car a week later
Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
When folks come poking around our track, they end up with a brand new 12th scale car a week later
ey yah

Yeah I was watching 12 scale pan cars last weekend. I bit beyond my capabilities right now heheh.

What track do you go to by the way?

frank
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

ey yah

Yeah I was watching 12 scale pan cars last weekend. I bit beyond my capabilities right now heheh.

What track do you go to by the way?

frank
http://www.tqrcracing.com/

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX

tqrcracing
Ok yeah that was where I was last Saturday. thank goodness it was not a very busy day. It was kind of embarrassing I forgot how to drive a RC car.

Sunday is suppose to be a race day me and a buddy of mine will be down there to check out the races and crowd.

Originally Posted by 1101
The xray parts are the strongest available.You wont break many parts, if at all. Double the price of parts doesnt matter if you dont need them.
You would break three times as many (say) Tamiya Associated or HB parts.
I have used Xrays as racers & bashers, only ever broke belts despite cartwheeling down the track or hitting concrete curb at high speed. Tamiya parts: ive broken plenty.

Downside with Xray is you will need to buy parts online, so will be a 2 week delay (at least)
XRAY T3 - 2012 EU Rubber-Spec Competition 1/10 Electric Touring Car
Low Price: $529.99
Amainhobbies
yikes

I think that's what I tanked into my 710. But If Xray does make a stronger car I think it may be worth it weight in gold. When I was racing 1/10 scale Nitro I remember my 710 being extremely fragile when compared to my friends Mugen MTX3 at the time. I was getting tired of replacing expensive hard to find parts.

Frank
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

RedBull, what does TQ Racing use for barriers on their carpet track? The local hobby shop where I am in New York State is planning on opening a new indoor carpet track and is trying to decide what to use for track barriers to define the layout. He is looking for something relatively inexpensive and simple.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
RedBull, what does TQ Racing use for barriers on their carpet track? The local hobby shop where I am in New York State is planning on opening a new indoor carpet track and is trying to decide what to use for track barriers to define the layout. He is looking for something relatively inexpensive and simple.
http://teamcrc.com/crc/modules.php?n...howpage&pid=12

Our old track we use this. with valcro at the bottom can change layout easily and it is not going anywhere.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Ok yeah that was where I was last Saturday. thank goodness it was not a very busy day. It was kind of embarrassing I forgot how to drive a RC car.

Sunday is suppose to be a race day me and a buddy of mine will be down there to check out the races and crowd.

XRAY T3 - 2012 EU Rubber-Spec Competition 1/10 Electric Touring Car
Low Price: $529.99
Amainhobbies
yikes

I think that's what I tanked into my 710. But If Xray does make a stronger car I think it may be worth it weight in gold. When I was racing 1/10 scale Nitro I remember my 710 being extremely fragile when compared to my friends Mugen MTX3 at the time. I was getting tired of replacing expensive hard to find parts.

Frank
12th scale blinky is easy, fun & inexpensive.
Not sure why you think it's harder than setting up a new $500+ sedan ?

Many of us started in this class years ago when it was the only electric class.
The only class Sean offers that is cheaper and slower is the RC18 spec class.

For carpet, 12th scale is the business, on a bumpy dusty parking lot, not so much.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Not what I drive but.....

Team Associated TC6

Quite good from everyone who has one have said.

Relatively inexpensive: about $350

Parts: Its Team Associated so what else can be said about that?

Options: Plenty
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Frank
The Serpent 733 changed all that. Its a much more durable car and parts are way cheaper now than before. If you shop at Kamikaze http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com/home.htm in Cerritos, parts and options availability would never be a problem. Check it out next weekend at Greater L.A. http://www.rctech.net/forum/californ...ml#post9896350

I had a 733 and it ran great but I upgraded to 1/8 with a 966. That car is dialed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.