Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LIPO,,ESC,,MOTOR..WHATS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART >

LIPO,,ESC,,MOTOR..WHATS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

LIPO,,ESC,,MOTOR..WHATS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For flat out speed, you need everything listed in this thread as well as very free drive line small rear wing and limited toe and caster angles.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
im talking flat out speed...im a good driver...setup i may need help with..i mostly run the boxstock setup of kits..with a change of oil & springs
Just how far behind the main guys are you exactly? Have you worked out where your main weakness is, ie the place you are giving up the most time to them.

Using the stock kit setup is ok for new drivers (like me ), but, there are many 10ths to be made for good drivers in tuning to the track conditions and if all you are chasing is 10ths then that is the area to focus on, even just changing diff weights will make a huge difference to corner speeds.

Also you have not mentioned anything about what car you drive, some chassis are just inherently slower and you will always be chasing your tail with them. Another thing is weight, are you running at the minimum weight allowed, if not, put the car on Jenny Craig and loose some grams.

Other than your liop which are 2 years old and need replacing, there are a myriad of things you can do and test for to gain speed and lap time advantage. It just takes time and effort in testing each one and the combinations of each to find that optimal setup, and then, if you have found all those little things that make a difference, and you can drive perfect consistent lines, then start looking for more horsepower.

Oh and on the horsepower topic, have you ramped up the can timing? Even tho its a blinky class, most allow you to use the timing on the can. Lots to be had just there. If there is one thing i learned from racing bikes for 25 years is that you want to get the most out of your gear before you start the endless upgrade cycle.

Last edited by RogerDaShrubber; 11-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Just how far behind the main guys are you exactly? Have you worked out where your main weakness is, ie the place you are giving up the most time to them.

Using the stock kit setup is ok for new drivers (like me ), but, there are many 10ths to be made for good drivers in tuning to the track conditions and if all you are chasing is 10ths then that is the area to focus on, even just changing diff weights will make a huge difference to corner speeds.

Also you have not mentioned anything about what car you drive, some chassis are just inherently slower and you will always be chasing your tail with them. Another thing is weight, are you running at the minimum weight allowed, if not, put the car on Jenny Craig and loose some grams.

Other than your liop which are 2 years old and need replacing, there are a myriad of things you can do and test for to gain speed and lap time advantage. It just takes time and effort in testing each one and the combinations of each to find that optimal setup, and then, if you have found all those little things that make a difference, and you can drive perfect consistent lines, then start looking for more horsepower.

Oh and on the horsepower topic, have you ramped up the can timing? Even tho its a blinky class, most allow you to use the timing on the can. Lots to be had just there. If there is one thing i learned from racing bikes for 25 years is that you want to get the most out of your gear before you start the endless upgrade cycle.
thanks for the info..im running a tc5..& i went to the hurricane race this past weekend & the top drivers was running..11.0's & i was running 11.5's..(we a D main )& i made the B MAIN so i did pretty good...but i couldnt get lower then 11.5's
Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Tech Champion

thanks for the info..im running a tc5..& i went to the hurricane race this past weekend & the top drivers was running..11.0's & i was running 11.5's..(we a D main )& i made the B MAIN so i did pretty good...but i couldnt get lower then 11.5's

Are your laps consistant? Sounds like they were, but just checking. Good consistancy IMO is 0.3 > 0.6 of a second between fastest and average lap.

Were you held up with back markers?

If not, as suggested look at where your setup is.

Smooth is fast - aggressive (on steering) can make a car look quick, but in reality is slower, like if your suspension is too hard and you lift a wheel under cornering, or its too soft and the car is digging in you will loose time.

Look at the A main guys and where they place their cars in every corner.

All it takes is to be using a different line in one corner, and then it slows you too much for the next....

HTH
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

11sec laps in 17.5T spec, that's a pretty tight track yeah? At the two tracks i can run at, lap times are around 18sec in 17.5T at track A and 17 sec in 10.5T at track B, we don't run 17.5T there because it is so big you can hold full throttle all the way around.

Being that the track you run on is rather small, HP is most likely not what you are missing out on, its cornering speed, you say you are being pulled away from on the main straight, this can be caused by not having enough drive out of the corner and not carrying enough speed through the middle of the corner as well.

Next time you are out for a mid week practice, play with your setup options that will help you with mid corner speed and drive out of the corner. Be methodical with how you test, take notes, and do timed runs on each change say 2 mins each run, then do some basic stats on the lap times to find where there is an advantage.