Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

OMG. Best thread ever. And great idea. I fly RC as well and really regret not documenting some of our club members while they were around. I honestly think someone needs to make a serious documentary about RC. Really. I used to think it was too niche for a general audience but not anymore.

I am not sure if this thread makes me feel old.... Or young....

One of my relics I would love to find is a letter from Gene Husting when he wrote for RCM. I wrote him asking for advice for a motor for my Tamiya SuperChamp and whether or not I should get a Cox Scorpion.
He wrote back about the new Yokomo based can and mentioned that I should wait around for something revolutionary coming in the 1/10 offroad class... If I had ANY idea what I had I would have put that letter in a safe deposit box.... Along with that hand numbered very early RC10.

And I know I was an early Stormer Customer. Probably cost you money on that toll free line too! Was buying from Tower when their catalog was a couple of photocopied pages too.

In the early 90's I worked for Buck and Buddy Baker in Charlotte and got to see lots of interesting oval stuff as well as race and promote RC among Nascar people. I have video tapes I took of the Oval Nats at Kings and also a 1/10 Gas Offroad Nats there as well. Maybe its time to dig them out and see if I can get them onto Youtube?

That Oval Nats was crazy. Talking chassis design with L. Woods while people were checking cross weights on a real LongAcre scale modified for RC use. I new full size race teams that felt lucky to own a set of LongAcre scales back then, so it made quite the impression.

I felt really weird talking to Bob Novak at a race recently while my son was standing next to me. I was about his age when I started saving for my first Novak.

So does that make me old OR young here? Arlynn?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasons56
OMG. Best thread ever. And great idea. I fly RC as well and really regret not documenting some of our club members while they were around. I honestly think someone needs to make a serious documentary about RC. Really. I used to think it was too niche for a general audience but not anymore.

I am not sure if this thread makes me feel old.... Or young....

One of my relics I would love to find is a letter from Gene Husting when he wrote for RCM. I wrote him asking for advice for a motor for my Tamiya SuperChamp and whether or not I should get a Cox Scorpion.
He wrote back about the new Yokomo based can and mentioned that I should wait around for something revolutionary coming in the 1/10 offroad class... If I had ANY idea what I had I would have put that letter in a safe deposit box.... Along with that hand numbered very early RC10.

And I know I was an early Stormer Customer. Probably cost you money on that toll free line too! Was buying from Tower when their catalog was a couple of photocopied pages too.

In the early 90's I worked for Buck and Buddy Baker in Charlotte and got to see lots of interesting oval stuff as well as race and promote RC among Nascar people. I have video tapes I took of the Oval Nats at Kings and also a 1/10 Gas Offroad Nats there as well. Maybe its time to dig them out and see if I can get them onto Youtube?

That Oval Nats was crazy. Talking chassis design with L. Woods while people were checking cross weights on a real LongAcre scale modified for RC use. I new full size race teams that felt lucky to own a set of LongAcre scales back then, so it made quite the impression.

I felt really weird talking to Bob Novak at a race recently while my son was standing next to me. I was about his age when I started saving for my first Novak.

as the old saying goes your only as old as you feel and act and with rc racers we never act our age or at least thats what my wife says lol
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Bob I found a pic of my old Lynx. I had fun running oval with this. Man this car wen through some high speed crashes

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Bob get with Jeff from rctv

He has a lot of this history on tape from his show. He also had an old car segment that looked at stuff that is collectable now maybe he can help you.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJGonzo69
Bob I found a pic of my old Lynx. I had fun running oval with this. Man this car wen through some high speed crashes
Coolest part of your car is the Reedy motor. I remember when we got those in, how we chuckled at the cleverness of this particular "Mr." series motor. The "Mr.E", or if you say it fast enough, the "mystery" motor.

Originally Posted by voltar
Bob get with Jeff from rctv

He has a lot of this history on tape from his show. He also had an old car segment that looked at stuff that is collectable now maybe he can help you.
I'll have to look into it.

And I know I was an early Stormer Customer. Probably cost you money on that toll free line too!
YOU!

In the early 90's I worked for Buck and Buddy Baker in Charlotte and got to see lots of interesting oval stuff as well as race and promote RC among Nascar people.
I know back in the day we sold a LOT of stuff to they guys at Harry Gants. I was also just thinking about all the NFL football players we sell to, then I really thought about it. Heck, there's gotta be 2500 players in the NFL or associated (if I'm wrong, no need to give me the exact number). I know I could ask one of our sales reps (Jim). He won some XXFL fantasy football league thing locally. I suppose the law of averages state we should all have some NFL players as customers. I think it's cool anyway.

That Oval Nats was crazy. Talking chassis design with L. Woods
One of my favorite cars is a Woods. (look back about 10-15 posts it's in the pics)

No dude, you're old.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

I know back in the day we sold a LOT of stuff to they guys at Harry Gants.

One of my favorite cars is a Woods. (look back about 10-15 posts it's in the pics)

No dude, you're old.
I never saw any of his cars! Is it the gas oval thing with the capped tires?

Yeah it was kinda funny really how many Nascar crew members were playing with RC in their spare time. It was almost an underground thing and although many of us were aware of who and what we did in our day jobs we didn't talk about it.
Almost like we were ashamed of playing with toy cars. Random spectators would walk up and ask if I realized I was playing with toy cars with some big names in NASCAR...

None of us gave a damn because we were all there to race, not talk about where we worked.

Of course now its a whole different story now of course!

I mean Tony S. and Donnie L. for starts! I bet more NASCAR guys have played with hobby level RC than those that haven't now.

I wish I had stuck around Charlotte long enough for RC to "come out of the closet" in Nascar circles.

Anyway, sorry about the Nascar trip off topic!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

I never saw any of his cars! Is it the gas oval thing with the capped tires?
that's it.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
Memories of my Dad are part of why 12th scale is so special to me. My last memories of my family we're with him driving me around to Hot Tracks in Huntington Beach, San Bernadino, Pomona, and Costa Mesa. I can't see how I will ever be so happy racing as was in those days 85'

I hope my Dad comes to watch when I go to race with David at TQ

That would mean the world to me

I remember a race with you there. Some series around your area. Pro Stars we're the tire to have and when I was in the lead I came to lap you and I couldn't catch you no matter how hard I tried. It was a lot of carnage and I got through it or it'd been a closer race

Never used such a cool and awesome motor as Rick's. Would still only run his motors if they we're out there or at least put the cool yellow PP stickers on a new motor ...lol

Can you spare a PP motor sticker Rick ...lol

Still remember the 22 Quad Double green dot that Randy Hunter won nat's with. Rick won stock that year. I won my first Modified B main at Cambell with that same motor

Honestly Lucas's Agitator car was my favorite. The "actuator" suspension is still my favorite and would run it still if I had the machinery to make it work for the modern cars. Dampning/spring all in one removable piece. I remember watching other's using it a concord hobby track and I just had to have it and two weeks later I did. I remember looking at Lucas's cars at Hot Tracks in hunington Beach and they we're the coolest thing ever so to actually have one was like OMFG

I'll do my part to bring 12th back as the "still the fastest on road class for over 30 years almost"

Thanks for the thread Bob
I had the pleasure of racing with guys like Barry, Lucas and Chris Moore in San Diego in the 80's...Lucas had his shop across the street from the beach. I used to go over there and try to clean, help out and see if I could get him to make me some of the parts that were on his cars. Eventually I got him to make me a 12th scale just like his. Swiss-cheesed delrin hubs...tapered diff axle. The thing was SICK!

What a great thread! Bringing back so many memories.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

How did I miss this thread?

Subscribed. Look forward to reading more stories.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Bob, speaking of Hot Trick. I grew up in Vista, Ca and had the luck of getting into racing at the same time as the Hot Trick track. Hot Trick was my first home track and my first job, in the pro shop. I was 12 so I won't name the owner. This is where I met Barry and Lucas and they taught me the ropes. Of course the track was RED ozite and the Hot Trick parts house was in the same building. Needless to say my cars were red masterpieces until the Aggitator came along. Barry and I had heated battles inbetween heats on the Championship Sprint arcade game. I could actually beat him at that. That track was rad!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
You're still quite on topic. The street weapon deck became the street weapon car, as I understand it. That's cool information, and the stuff I'd like to eventually preserve somewhere.

Gonna be tough to whittle down everybodys great storys. Mercifully, I type quickly. Or "woefully" depending on your perspective.
I kind of remember it like this... early 80's, got into skateboarding, which ofcourse got me into punk rock and all that jazz ... but yeah I remember seeing the Losi skate ads and then going into a LHS and seeing the Losi name again, and that was it I had to have an RC car (Tamiya Fox) with a Losi motor(Revolution stock)... FWIW I still have a XXX-S and love it!

I enjoy searching Ebay for anything 1/12th scale related, so much history to be found at times. The name I remember from years ago that was big in Fla. was Composite Craft.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
The name I remember from years ago that was big in Fla. was Composite Craft.
Kim Davis. I talked to him today. Some believe he alone was the first guy to make a carbon fiber chassis in or around 1975-78. Years later as D&D graphite, then to Composite Craft.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This may be off topic, but can anybody throw out any information about 1/10 scale oval cars. There used to be a lot of different companies. Different cars that have all but disappeared. I've always grouped these cars in with pan cars, even though they only turn one direction.

It would be really cool to hear history, see picture, more great stories. Thanks for making this available.

I didn't have a chance to read absolutely everything, so sorry if this has already been brought up.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Bob, I have a fiberglass body off of something pretty old, if i remember correctly it was old nitro car that I bought at the Puyallup hobby fair a very long time ago,. if you want it you can have it. Not sure if your going to the TZGP but I may be going later today to watch, I'll bring it with me in case your there.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scribbler
This may be off topic, but can anybody throw out any information about 1/10 scale oval cars. There used to be a lot of different companies. Different cars that have all but disappeared. I've always grouped these cars in with pan cars, even though they only turn one direction.
Oval cars. Probably as many if not more than pan. Hard to collect. Lot's of smaller shops making cars regionally. I'd like to do more with oval. I'd have to get some knowledgeable help.

Originally Posted by skypilot
Bob, I have a fiberglass body off of something pretty old, if i remember correctly it was old nitro car that I bought at the Puyallup hobby fair a very long time ago,. if you want it you can have it. Not sure if your going to the TZGP but I may be going later today to watch, I'll bring it with me in case your there.
That would be cool. I'll hook up with ya eventually.

-Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.