R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #151
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsai View Post
Hi Bob, great idea/thread.

Thought I'd share a bit of my/the local history from the mid-80's.

I started working in my (current) career and had a bit of money. Bought a car first (1985 Trans Am -- yes, black and gold...) and then had the itch to get more R/C stuff. I had always been around models. Cox growing up, a couple of airplanes that never flew, and even a Futaba free-running dune buggy that I modified to add a receiver and steering servo. It was interesting trying to control it with no throttle or brake!

At any rate, in about 1986, I discovered the original SRS -- Scale Racing Sports on Hayden Road at Curry in Tempe, Arizona. At the time, I lived about 25 miles west of there, so it was a full day for me to come race. But I loved it. 2 Sundays a month, I had some of the best times of my (hobby) life.

Larry Stewart was the owner of the track, and he and Jim Silvay (who worked for Larry) ran the place. I bought a used Associated RC500 1/8 gas car, and learned to drive it. Dabbled in a bit of 1/12 electric (and a bit of off road -- but never liked it) when we were running $60-$70 Sanyo SCR NiCd packs, and peaked them with a Tekin charger (which I still have). We dialed those cars in so that they dumped literally seconds after an 8 minute race. Had both an Associated 12L, and a Delta Spyder.

But the gas cars were the best. I even had the first non-sponsored 4WD set up in AZ. Oh -- the sponsored drivers? Barry Grossenbacher and Butch Kloeber (Associated). Alan Dove (Delta). And there were others for bigger races. We had the Region 6 championships and the California guys would come over, including Tony N, and others I'm now forgetting. When those guys came in town, the best I could manage was the "C" mains. ha! Tough part about 1/8 is that a normal race day was $100 easy -- mostly due to tire wear. Would go through two sets per race day on average. And of course, if you broke something, the $'s added up. I remember one time I hit a wall -- hard -- and toasted my full bearing steering servo. I was having so much fun, it took me all of about 12 seconds to get in to the store and buy a $100 replacement. (Remember, this is 26 years ago!).

We all wore multiple hats in those days, too. Blowing off the track, spraying VHT (or sugar water, when funds were lower), running the AMB system and even announcing the races. I even remember saying "hello" over the PA to my future/now current wife one time when she came to watch.

One guy I'll never forget is Ron Paris. Ron loved racing, and in those days his motors ruled the tracks. I was fortunate enough to win one of his modded motors at an event. I chose a Nova Rossi for my RC500 and it was as fast as anything on the track. Ron was a great guy and I wore the blue "Paris Racing" t-shirt he gave me for years. I was very sad to hear when he passed away (years ago now).

Well, to bring it all back (and stop rambling), I may actually start racing again. I met a friend of yours (RacinJ) here in AZ and he's already given me some great info just chatting during race days. Great thing about r/c -- the people can be really awesome.

Sorry for the rambling, but thought you'd enjoy the stories.

Ben in AZ
I remember SRS the old track very well. What a great asphalt track. Don't forget Randy Hunter who also came there plus the checkpoint guys. I think I came to a regionals and the cactus classic

I like the old SRS best

Thanks for the memories
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #152
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Great thread thank you. First time I got into RC was 1986 or 87 I was 7years old living in Costa Mesa CA. There was a outside dirt track on 19th St and Pomona right across from now the DMV, can't remember the name if anyone can recall? But for 6months straight I would go everyday after school and watch people race. Then my birthday came and my parents scraped up enough money to buy me my first RC10 buggy. Now when I drive past the old race track which is now Taco Mesa just brings back a lot of memories.
Hpifanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I have these two old manuals / catalogs for the RC10. I believe I have a few more for other cars to like the RC500 and their first stadium truck, along with a few more of their assorted catalogues from the time with AE & Reedy stuff. I'll post them when I find them and take pics.

Might be willing to sell / trade them to anyone that is interested.

I'll post these two for now...
Attached Thumbnails
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you!-rc10-manual-1.jpg   The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you!-rc-10-manual-2.jpg  
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #154
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpifanboi View Post
Great thread thank you. First time I got into RC was 1986 or 87 I was 7years old living in Costa Mesa CA. There was a outside dirt track on 19th St and Pomona right across from now the DMV, can't remember the name if anyone can recall? But for 6months straight I would go everyday after school and watch people race. Then my birthday came and my parents scraped up enough money to buy me my first RC10 buggy. Now when I drive past the old race track which is now Taco Mesa just brings back a lot of memories.
I have no more deeply burned memories of my family and R/C than of Briggs cunnigham, Costa Mesa I was 15

Regarding pomona it was called Ranch Pit Stop
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #155
Tech Master

Raced 12th gas in Phoenix during the late seventies, also electric. Mine was a Mach 12 but most raced the Jerobee (powered by Cox .049 engines). Rode up from Tucson with two brothers who operated a hobby shop out of their house near the University of Arizona in Tucson. Raced in an industrial park, later behind some hobby shop.
Took a motor home with Lonny Johnson, Mark Osier, and someone else that I can't remember (Dave ?) to the regionals held at the Ranch in 1982. Remember that some Team Associated members were having fun throwing cracker balls on the track during qualifying.
There was another Ranch Pit Stop in Del Mar. Loooooong time ago.

Last edited by Three; 01-20-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #156
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpifanboi View Post
It was RCH ( radio controlled hobbies ) and later moved to an indoor location and called it rchr
Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #157
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
It was RCH ( radio controlled hobbies ) and later moved to an indoor location and called it rchr
Yes! Thank you. What a nice track that was.
Hpifanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #158
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Some stuff you may not have seen in a while.

Guess what this is.
Some interesting finds!
Got a C-Car now also and one of the ultrarare Schumacher XL Lexancars.

I have seen a Delta Autodrive ESC before but in black colour. First time seeing one in red case. What car was using mounting plate like this with saddlepack batteries and ESC?

Very interesting Trinity motors. I have seen other Kyosho based Trinity motors before but not this one. Where do you happen finding motors like this?
Im looking since months for old Checkpoint and Trinity motors.
But got an old Revtech motor also Kyosho based.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #159
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

havent read the whole thread, wondering if you saw this:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...79338&id=15092

http://www.overrc.com/vintage/autos/...umacherspc.htm

this is classic:

pat 1: http://youtu.be/iOx8bYWBS_8

part 2: http://youtu.be/yi6ztIlqDNk
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #160
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry, double post.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This thread gives me a lot of inspiration for vintage logo design

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #162
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_robinson View Post
This thread gives me a lot of inspiration for vintage logo design
Like how much inspiration?

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #163
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Like how much inspiration?
Enough to want to redo all of my branding J/K

EddieO has stuff that was Jim Greenmeyer's, don't know how willing he is to contribute (Eddie's house easily fits the criteria for an episode of "Hoarders"). I don't think I have seen Jim's name come up yet, and if you are going to do a history or racing project, you can't forget the motor tuners! Was lucky enough to sit with Jim and have him personally teach me how to wind armatures, a real art form that's lost today (or at least lost on the only market left using brushed motors ).

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #164
Tech Regular

Just thought I'd touch on a few of the recent posts....they do bring back memories of course.

I also remember the beginnings of SRS in Phoenix. Groups of us from California would make the trip for 1/12th races in the 80s. It was nice when new. It went through a lot of changes and owners and even a new location in Scottsdale. Became real big with Off Road and just opened a new pavement track a few weeks ago with a new owner....Hobbytown.

None of us who ever raced 1/8th Gas will forget Ron Paris. I know my wife Cathie had to rub elbows with him many times on the starting grid setting our cars for the start. Ron didn't move over easily!

Ahhh...Briggs Cunningham track....Costa Mesa in the early 80s. A real proving ground for the SoCal 1/12th elite. It was a tough row to hoe with the local talent....and Team Associated's best, complimented by Mike Reedy weekly. Those were the days of 6-cell, 8 minutes and counting clickers for scoring!!!

Among those at Briggs was Big Jim Greenemeyer....the Italian Stallion. I remember Jim and I buying red Corvettes in '86. I wasn't long before jim had knocked the fenders off his car on the off rams....I still have mine. Jim only knew one speed....full throttle!!

I hope I get the time someday to digitize my old photos....I've got some good ones!

Gary McAllister
flyingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Gary's here... NOW it's a party!

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote