R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #31
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cores do work to reduce noise on signal wires.... doesn't matter what industry you are in, or what country, or anything else. If you glitches come from noise spikes produced by the sparking of the motor, cores can help this. If you have glitches because you run a graphite chassis with an AM receiver sitting next to the speed control, they will not help very much. There is also no magic number of turns on a core. It all depends on the composition of the core and what frequency of noise you are looking to eliminate.
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 AM   #32
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I guess the question is that how much it works. Should this be a person's glitching problem first resort or last resort?

I'm just hoping some newbie that read this thread don't automatically think it's a cure-all wonder, and neglect to pay attention to other variances.

I ran a stock motor once and had glitching problems and put the core on, no improvement, then I rebuilt the motor properly, and the glitching went away w/o the core in place. So my problem lies within the motor a lot more than simply put a core in place to fix it.

Team Kyosho America - Team Br00d Racing - Team R/C Plus - GQ Racing Tyres - Slapmaster Tools - FSX Racing
litespeed-dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #33
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I think they are a good option if you hav e glitching but as said before they are not the cure for all. One must take the other precautions as well to prevent glitching.
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:28 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Boy oh boy, there must be some fitters out there, or maybe carpenters for all the bitching about electricians. I can tell by their lousy spelling abilities.

We are looking at two different scenarios here. The first is radiophonic interference. In these cases, using a ferrite dounut and routing the signal wire, between the receiver and the device through the hole a couple or three times will mostly solve the problem. Sometimes though, it's might just be plain ol' RF modulation and that can come from a big list of influences.

Then using a ferrite around the neg wire is a way of supressing the back EMF generated when you clobber the brakes. The ferrite in this case flattens the peak of the spike to hopefuly, a level where you think the problem is solved. Somewhere back up the page, the word was clean yer motor and thaty's really true. Of course, if you're using 7 turn pieces, then the chances are that a ferrite up your bum would prolly do the trick.

Your very non electrically, Jacko Local 48
The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sparkyboyo
the chances are that a ferrite up your bum would prolly do the trick.
What's the range of a ferrite up the bum? Will it still work on big tracks or is it for indoors only?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:48 PM   #36
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't care who you are, that is funny!

Quick question since we have an ensemble of electronic geniuses here (?)... What ever happened to the gold capacitors that we used to use in 1/12th scale to keep the receivers voltage from dropping out on hard accelerations? Since I got back into racing, I haven't seen any.
Speed Merchant Rev7, Tekin, TQ Racing (wire), Team Tamale
RC Excitement - Buy where you race, support your local tracks.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Blimey, we've got a resurectionist in our midst !! I'm so out of phase on that one. Gold capacitors indeed.

The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote