Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why I can't support my LHS.....(best example I've found).... >

Why I can't support my LHS.....(best example I've found)....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I can't support my LHS.....(best example I've found)....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Unhappy Why I can't support my LHS.....(best example I've found)....

Normally when I've ordered parts on the net it's been little bits with very little in the way of savings over my LHS and it's been more a case of...

"I need the part now but hey if you had it in stock sure I'd pay a little extra."...

But OMG the first big money part (Esc) I'm looking at getting I can't believe the difference.....

A Quantum C2 in this country would set you back roughly $350 NZ I found out, but I can get one (including exchange rate and postage) delivered from U.S for $215 NZ.

As good for the local economy supporting your LHS is I don't see any of them surviving unless they have a population base (locally) in the millions.

Kinda sad really.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

I know what you meen, but i'd pay the little extra (maybe not the extra 100) as if summit goes wrong or the package is defected you'd have to ship it back etc and it would be a nightmare.

Chazz
Old 11-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

I think both ways to purcahse are fine, as long as the LHS gets their fare share. You're right, sometimes there are huge differences that can't be overlooked and eventually you'll have to go the shop for tires, glue, bodies, etc. I find even with spending money by mail order, you still spend a fortune at the LHS. Heck some of the LHS are mail order places out the back, so in some cases you are supporting the LHS.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

I feel sorry for my LHS because i just bought 2 Nitro Evader BXs for $685AU but my LHS sells these for $750AU each thats $1500AU so i saved myself a bundle! but just say if i needed new tires,rims,brushes spareparts i would just get them at my LHS
Old 12-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Mabuchi540 - Before you buy outside the country take the price to them locally. Say I can get it for $215 overseas and you list $350 here. Will you sell it to me for $275? You never know.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mabuchi 540: New Zealand has such a small population base you MUST support the local hobby shop. I know the hobby shop you are talking about and it is the best in the country with the best parts range and pricing. If you don't support the local hobby shops then very quickly in a country as small as ours there will be no local hobby shops. The only reson to buy overseas is for parts that the Local Hobby shop cannot supply.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:48 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think its simple, I buy from whos cheaper if I dont need the product right away. Sometimes the LHS beats online pricing, sometimes not.

Then if I need something the day of or a day before, I will go the LHS route first as long as its not a big price difference.

I dont agree with the thought that just because they are local means you MUST support them. IF they make bad purchasing desicions, over stock on the wrong products, or dont agressively price their stock to compete. Then they dont deserve my business just because they are local. Also customer service has a big importance. If the people are arrogant assholes who just dont want to help with problems or dont take the time with a customer then who needs the LHS.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ahh, somebody that buys everything on price. Just what we need. Its just as well everyone is not like that.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:59 PM

Welcome to Capitolism.

I buy on price and need. There is a ballance. I prefer to not get raped on prices from stores when I dont need something and with shippnig its greater than 10$ different.

I give a shitload of money to the LHS, but more to online stores who carry much more stuff than the LHS does and to wait for the LHS to special order something and add shipping and their margin to it makes absolutely no sense. Since I could get the item WAY cheaper and WAY faster on my own.

I buy on logic I guess.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not everyone has money to burn at their LHS, i buy from Hong Kong at half the price i could in the UK. The market here is big enough and i know how much money the shops must be making from it, until they reduce the prices to get somewhere near that base figure they aint getting my $ simple.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just wait until there are no local hobby stores or tracks because you guys have bought everything online.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by fatbear
Just wait until there are no local hobby stores or tracks because you guys have bought everything online.
Most UK tracks arent run or supported by shops anyway, local enthusiasts run the track where they can.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 PM

And thats a problem?

I mean Lets look at this:

1. Online vendors carry more items.
2. Get new products in faster.
3. Ability to take your time and look at a selection of products to base your purchase instead of hanging in a store trying to pump the people for info on a product. (or getting oppinions more than facts about a product).
4. Oh yeh and in most cases FAR cheaper than what local places can get them.

Edit:
5. Open hours that the LHS isnt.

Cons:
Sort of a PITA to return stuff, mis shippments, etc... But then again I have had all those same issues at LHS's also.

Now there are other varriants of LHS's available. Like a few in the area here where they are essentially "mobile" LHS people. WHo come by teh tracks loaded with hardware to sell at very good prices. I buy stuff off them more than online it seems. Brick and Mortar needs to adapt to the new economy and it shouldnt be the customers responsibility to give "hand outs" to unfortunate businesses. (because some LHS's ARE able to compete on prices, and are very reasonable. )
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

i live in NZ too and generally find things on the internet to be cheaper than my LHS. it isnt that much cheaper because the guy who owns the LHS i go to knows me well and his prices are better than anybody elses in my city. i only buy things that cost over $200 from the US mostly because of postage costs.

Mabuchi540 where do you live and/or race?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

My local track has its own hobby shop and i will allways support it, since i started racing i havn't spent more than $60 at the LHS which i do feel bad about but the guys help you out at the track and if you are going to buy somthing that isn't really what you need they will tell you what would work better or perform better and thats somthing my LHS never did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.