R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the info fellas.

Chris, do you find yourself actually using the push brakes a lot?

For instance, at Mikes... the layout we were running last Sat, how often(if at all) were you using push brake?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In both TC and 1/12 scale I find that I set my speed control to zero drag brake or creep (creep is the term I knew for when the "neutral" setting on the transmitter is actually a small percentage of power to the motor to negate the motors natural drag brake) but as the traction comes up I tend to stay on the throttle a lot more and only release for hairpins or sharp corners. This is true even though I run on a tight indoor carpet track.
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
If everything is under control... go faster.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

James, i do warn you to believe who you want to believe on this. You have seen me drive and I only use the breaks when i have messed up and know my drag break will not accomplish what i mean for it to do. Now, I can do the same lap times if i "stab" the breaks in one corner cause i was GOING to over shoot it but other than that, there is no reason to use the opposite end of the throttle. My breaks are always set to 100%. So, at every race, i know exactly how much my car will slow down if i go full lock, or half lock. I like to keep things equal when going from track to track. Adding push to your car only means that there is a problem in the setup IMO no matter the car or scale it is racing in. With brushless motors, there is half the drag that a brushed motor produces... so, i imagine that we all would want a little drag (on throttle let off) just like the cars were designed for.

Again, just my opinion, but i would like to think i know what im talking about.
TEXASEOS.net, SpeedzoneUSA, RcAmerica, Xray, Hudy, Protoform, Orca, Avid, 2mm Designs

Texas EOS 2016
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #19
Tech Champion

After my discussion on driving style, the overall answer was smooth is fast.

I run 7DB on my RS Pro, which gives me enough feel of motor braking, similar to the brushed days.

More drag brake = more heat in the motor and not as smooth. The feeling of on or off with power does not appeal to me.
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is a good discusion. Im glad we are getting some varying feedback.

Im going to try dialing out some drag brake this weekend and see how things pan out. I had accidently left my drag brake at an absurdly high setting at last weekends club race. Not only did it make the car difficult to drive consistently(it was over slowing for the corners), but the motor was running ~30* hotter than usual.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote