Search

Buggy inserts for Onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Buggy inserts for Onroad?

Trying to figure out if im running Some OFNA onroad wheels tires
#'s 86023 rim and 86052 tyre can i use a 1/8 buggy foam insert? or will they be too thick?

The LHS doesnt stock any of the inserts so it is tough for me to tell if they will work or noth without buying them and seeing if they fit without puffing the tyre up at all... Only asking as i tried messing around and mounting those tyres and wheels last night and the 2 peice foam Ofna supplies is annoying me. Figure an insert will work much easier, just dont know if they fit...
Not to mention i dont want to buy a pair and pay shipping only to order more if they do.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

nobody? apologies for asking such a trivial question, just no shops local to me have regularly available stock on the inserts.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Monteman
nobody? apologies for asking such a trivial question, just no shops local to me have regularly available stock on the inserts.
Chances are that the inserts will be too soft and make the car unstable.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Surely they cant be any softer than the 2 flimsy strips of foam that come with the ofna tyres in the first place.
There is different densities on the foam inserts isn't there?
As long as they fit without ballooning the on road tire i could just try to get the hardest one??
Maybe? or do i sell these and go premount

FWIW these are destined for my ERBE-GT build so the weight of the truck is surely a bit higher than the GPT2E that these tires were destined for.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Monteman
Surely they cant be any softer than the 2 flimsy strips of foam that come with the ofna tyres in the first place.
There is different densities on the foam inserts isn't there?
As long as they fit without ballooning the on road tire i could just try to get the hardest one??
Maybe? or do i sell these and go premount

FWIW these are destined for my ERBE-GT build so the weight of the truck is surely a bit higher than the GPT2E that these tires were destined for.
When in doubt go with the pre-mounts . At least you know they will ne close to what your looking for, instead of wasting money.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

so true, i was hoping at least one of the LHS around here would have some buggy inserts in stock that I could look at to see just how thick they actually are as it is really tough to tell just by looking at the pics i have found. All i could find were truggy inserts. Worth case im thinking i play the not in a rush game and order 1 pair through the lhs and let them bring them in and see that way then worst case im only out 5-6$

Thanks Bob
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have used both the orange and yellow ones. Now it is work out to get them over the wheel lip my advice buy thr spray adhesive and glue the foam to the tire so it wont move or roll up. On regular ofna tires the tire will have a slight egg shape on the top instead of flat. Now if u are using the belted ones u wont see the egg shape cause the belt will keep it compressed flat. Thats all i use now. I truly hate the two peice foam.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

the ones i have aren't the belted ones. I am not even sure how the 2 piece foam is supposed to go in properly, that's why i started looking into the inserts. The Tire will mount no issues at all but that foam is confusing. its an inch and a half longer than the diameter needed (are you supposed to trim it?) and there is no way it stays even in there as you try to get the tire installed after messing with the foam.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes u are suppose to trim and glue them do not use supper glue it will get rigit and u will be able to feel it thru the tire. U need something that stays flexible after drying . Gluee the thin strip to the wheel and the other one to thetire just so they can stay in place as you put thetire in.