Wiki Posts
Search

3 diffs. One question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation 3 diffs. One question.

what do they all do?

I'm returning to outdoor 1/10th touring car racing with my tamiya ta04-r. In the past I ended up using a front one-way diff, and centre 'spool'? I think - it was a solid shaft ie no diff action; and normal ball rear diff.

I only used them cos that what other racers said to do. So after a long layoff I'm thinking of going back to all 3 original diffs and starting again. So can anyone tell me in simple language what's what, and why I should change diffs?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The front differential is ment to distrubute the power in between the two front wheels. The same applies to the rear differential. The center differential is there to distrubute the power in between the front and rear differentials. Usually, that is a good setup for racing.

But, as of a spool or a one way in the middle, I have never seen or heard aobut that. I'll let someone else pitch in on this.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In the past, mostly only foam guys ran a diff in the front. With rubber tires it would often cause wheel spin on the inside tire on corner exit. From what I remember being told, a one way gives more corner entry/turn in but reduces braking stability, best left for wide open layouts. A spool lets you power out of a corner harder than a diff, is easier to drive than a one way.

The game has changed, however! Most people now are going to sealed oil filled gear diffs. Much less maintenance and more consistent action. I don't have one...yet! Someone else would have to inform you of the specific weights used.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. An older chassis like that will produce less steering than most modern chassis without a one-way. So the question really is do you need brakes?