Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec 1/12 tire for stock?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't have a huge preference either way... but I will ask this.... why fix something that doesn't seem to be broken?

The past three "big" carpet races(2011 IIC, 2012 Birds, 2012 Carpet Nats) have all had great turnouts in Stock 12th. At the IIC and Birds, it was the largest class next to Stock Sedan. At the Carpet Nats, Stock 12th was the largest class by some 15-20 entries.

Am I the only one who thinks 12th is actually doing pretty dang well?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
I don't have a huge preference either way... but I will ask this.... why fix something that doesn't seem to be broken?

The past three "big" carpet races(2011 IIC, 2012 Birds, 2012 Carpet Nats) have all had great turnouts in Stock 12th. At the IIC and Birds, it was the largest class next to Stock Sedan. At the Carpet Nats, Stock 12th was the largest class by some 15-20 entries.

No, I think it's doing great. Still, I think improvements could be made. Whether or not my ideas actually would be improvements or not is hard to say and certainly up for debate.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Every event I've ever been to had a hobbystore. In years past, I'd show up with 1 set of each viable compound, run to find out what worked, then purchase my tires at the shop for the rest of the event. This process helps you in two ways: You only end up spending money on what works for the event, and you saved space in your luggage because you didn't drag all the tires you couldn't use with you to begin with.......

Bust out the 12th scale and race it at major events.
Something to consider for the larger events, not possible on others as the LHS totally tapped for 1/12th tires most times, but I do like that idea.

Originally Posted by chris moore
A couple of thoughts on your statements; to be honest one of the problems with this hobby is that everyone does want it spoon fed. No boost, spec tires, only this or that esc, blah, blah, blah. I understand that alot of this comes from the change in todays society, nobody wants to have to think anymore but come on this is racing still right?? You made the statement "I think it would put some aspect of "race management" back into 1/12th racing" earlier in the thread, how in the world does a spec tire add an aspect of race management?? I just dont see how taking away a tunning option is going to enhance race management, please enlighten me. If you need a level playing field run 17.5 blinky, you can expect that purple or black fronts and yelow or orange/gray-lows will work. Its kind of gotten already spec'ed in so your travel woes are solved.

Now compairing WGT and 1/12 is apples and oranges, other than both are pancars thats all thay share. WGT has a longer/wider wheelbase, much bigger tires for a much bigger contact area, and not much more weight. There is just no direct relation between WGT and 1/12th so lets just leave that out of the disscusson. In case you haven't guessed I'm against a spec tire for 1/12th

So to recap you can run blinky and bring a max of four compounds, now whats keeping you out of running 1/12?
Perhaps I don't understand, but to me if the tire is spec'd and the amount of tires I can use for the event is limited, and if I have a setup that likes a certain size of tire, wouldn't I have to come up with a management scheme to take advantage of that for qualifying and be able to use the same for the final. So if I run extremely cutdown tires I have to figure out how to make them last. I guess to me that puts the thinking back into the racing opposed to just pulling another set of tires out of the box and grinding them to the sweet spot.

The WGT reference was in that they run a spec tire at the big races, nothing more than that.

Good discussion. Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairy
Ah...the dumbing down of America has found roots in R/C racing.
We need to stop handing out trophies at race events and just give everybody a ribbon that signs up, that way we won't have to worry about the fast guys cheating and the slow guys will feel better about themselves. That will also cure the need for rules, spec tires, spec ec's, the whole lot.
This will make it affordable for all to join in.

I am not kidding I am very seriuos. We are not promoting work, desire, thinking, ingenuity, we are just trying to make everbody equal in all respects.
You could look at it that way, or it could be the limit of the equipment forces you to find the ultimate combination that gives the best performance. Equal equipment still will never overcome talent and skill, its just getting people to accept the fact that its not their right to win, its their right to compete to try and win.
I was just talking to NASCAR driver friend of mine who finished pretty dismal, we both had a pretty good laugh about how everything they run is as good as everybody else, but guessed it just wasn't his right to win that night.

Originally Posted by JamesL_71

Originally Posted by wingracer
No, I think it's doing great. Still, I think improvements could be made. Whether or not my ideas actually would be improvements or not is hard to say and certainly up for debate.
I would agree. Discussing it doesn't hurt it and perhaps some great idea might come out of it. Sometime change isn't good, but you can always go back, and maybe some change is whats keeping others from getting back into the class/sport. I remember racing in Nats that had double letter mains, now thats a lot of entries, but with so many classes now, I don't think that would ever happen again.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

I just returned from the 1/12 Worlds and even with the "secret" tires there I am still against a spec tire in 1/12. Leave the class alone. It has had great turnout the last couple of years....

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN

Last edited by sdunnmcp; 07-27-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: more detail