Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Sorex vs Pit Shimizu >

Sorex vs Pit Shimizu

Sorex vs Pit Shimizu

Old 06-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sorex vs Pit Shimizu

I've been told from a reliable source that the Sorex and Pit Shimizus are the same tire. Can anyone conform or does anyone have any thoughts on that?

If they arn't how does the performance compare?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2002, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Sorex vs Pit Shimizu

Originally posted by Jared Kirkwood
I've been told from a reliable source that the Sorex and Pit Shimizus are the same tire. Can anyone conform or does anyone have any thoughts on that?

If they arn't how does the performance compare?

Thanks!
I doubt if they are the same ones.
Rubber material of Pit Shimizus seemed softer and edge's rounder.

I can't confirm anything though.

I like the texture of Pit Shimizu better but couldn't find the ones that work here.
They were great in winter.

Anybody tried new Pit Shimizu tires?
Old 06-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have tried the new Pits. They seem just as good as the old ones. I have been running 27 compound front and rear with my losi. Tires seem to run good. They seem to hold up pretty well but I only run stock so I am not sure how long they will last in mod.

Jason
Old 06-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What I have been told is that the guy who came up with Sorex tires used to work for Pit then split from them for what ever reason and started Sorex. Also the rubber is supplied and might be molded by Yokohama(SP) the guys who make real tires. But as far as the tires being the same I can asure you that the designs of the two are not the same, but the rubber might be but I dont know forsure.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Jason
I have tried the new Pits. They seem just as good as the old ones. I have been running 27 compound front and rear with my losi. Tires seem to run good. They seem to hold up pretty well but I only run stock so I am not sure how long they will last in mod.

Jason
Do you like new ones better than old ones?

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think they are just about as good. I have been running the same tires since the snowbirds. The tires last pretty good, but I don't buy tires a lot. They are just too expensive for me to be buying them all the time. Even though I know I will go faster I still don't buy them.

I have not really tried the sorex tires yet. What are your views on them?

Jason
Old 06-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

i run ride tires myself but some racers have tested sorex and pits and say that they have same level of grip but pits last longer and are not so prone to overheating. i am thinking of trying the pits next time i buy tires and also want to try the take-offs.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by ausracer
i run ride tires myself but some racers have tested sorex and pits and say that they have same level of grip but pits last longer and are not so prone to overheating. i am thinking of trying the pits next time i buy tires and also want to try the take-offs.
Ausracer is correct. They are NOT the same tire. I have run both and I know they have different shapes, etc. I too have found that the Pits last a little longer, but not a huge difference.

The traction is similar, and you can use the different shapes of the tires in conjunction with different inserts to achieve the desired air gap for your driving style and track.

I would suggest you give Take Offs a try first though. I was a faithful Sorex racer for at least one year until I tried the CS tires. They are no where NEAR as temperature sensitive as the Sorex and they last forever in comparison. I've been running the CS27's premounted from the Carpet Nats at our local races and they are great. Couldn't ask for a better, more consistant tire.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Jason
I think they are just about as good. I have been running the same tires since the snowbirds. The tires last pretty good, but I don't buy tires a lot. They are just too expensive for me to be buying them all the time. Even though I know I will go faster I still don't buy them.

I have not really tried the sorex tires yet. What are your views on them?

Jason
For me sorex is the most durable tires. keeps giving me tractions until it dies. Then still I can use them for practice.

I haven't used pit shimizu long enought to know how durable they are but I will trust you guys on that and will buy them when I need new tires.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

I know Sorex's are not the same rubber as Pit's cause they smell differant. but I still can't figure out why my Take Off's smell like Yokomo's. Sorex's have a real distinctive smell to them. Take Off's, Pit's and Yokomo's all smell alike.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. Very informative.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Over here I have been using Take off Pits and Sorex...

I find Take Offs lasts for ever and they are the most consistant... CS22 and CS27 are great on tarmac, but I recently went back toTake Off SSA which i find there are even better as the weather is still not stable to sit on CS22 or CS27.

Pits are great but if you got the wrong temperature then you can ruin a set easily... I think they are thinner than Take Off so they get to their temperature quicker, but then that is why chose the temp rating carefully....

Sorex... sorry but I dont rate them on tarmac.... they are good on conrete (cooler).... but I get at best 4- 6 good runs and thats it... The 2 bad points I find are they take 3-4 laps to kick in... and I will notice the performance trails off around lap 13... and they will show flat-spots where the inner belt join..... A few guys here also the Sorex 28 should have been rated around 25 i.e softer than they claim to be....

Take Off insert works great too by the way,Pits here tend to give you uselless Vsoft sponge insert which I find they are no good for nothing except for the 22mm wet tyres....
Old 06-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Tires are definitely NOT the same. Different compound...and different mix of materials.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally posted by proudwinner
I know Sorex's are not the same rubber as Pit's cause they smell differant. but I still can't figure out why my Take Off's smell like Yokomo's. Sorex's have a real distinctive smell to them. Take Off's, Pit's and Yokomo's all smell alike.

Hehe- tire sniffer!!!

I'm liking the Take Offs more and more....
Old 06-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Bigdog> will Take-Off 32 good in asphalt about 50 degrees C? i usually use Sorex 36R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.