Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest Spec/Blinky Mode ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrspruitt
I'm looking to get involved in RC racing again, which a stock class would be where I planned on starting, so this is rather interesting to me. I didn't know there was such an issue with the ESC's. Forcing the "blinky mode" sounds a bit silly, in the sense that its creating a market for the ESC of the week, to go with motor and batteries. Which just seems senseless to me, no matter what my budget, the idea of buying paper weight after paper weight just to get a little edge, is just wasteful, both resources and money, and would make it a hobby that is easy to burn out on, unless you're addicted shopping or something. I always considered a spec type class was to keep the costs down and competition up. Which as far as I know, it doesn't cost anything to learn how to tune your ESC, much like suspension, and as far as I'm concerned, learning something should be promoted. Is there any down side to the timing? Like if you make it much faster are you burning up a motor every run, forcing people to buy new motors every race just to stay competitive? Otherwise the "blinky mode" seems to have exchanged learning how to tune your car, which only takes time to learn, with, buying the latest greatest hardware every time it comes out. Which is not in the spirit of what spec classes are about, sounds more like an unlimited class, where money=speed. Win loose or draw, for me at least, I'd much rather know the only thing between me and winning is me, not just how much money I can throw at it, anyone can do that, its a contest of skill, not disposable income.
Please say you're looking into 12th scale.
You're the type of racer we need more of
And we still have a strong showing in boosted 13.5.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th

Not sure what cherry picking means...lol...but if it's includes hot babes I'm in.
Cherry picking is when you run a class you're sure you can win in, with minimal competition.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Does that class exist......

Oh wait, you mean like when all the club mod guys sign up for stock at major events...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I don't see how any racer can go far to any event to run just one class. Two classes is the minimum I run: stock and Mod or 13.5t and Mod , but always Mod !!!! Mod is where your reputation is made: there is no stock World Champion. Stock is really for fun, or to apply some of what you learned running Mod. I was used to stock car speed since age 12 with Nikko F1 cars , but Mod speed, and throttle control is another story.....
There's no Masters world champion either, but I traveled from Seattle to Arkansas to race the class. And only that class. So what, my money, my choice. And that's the bottom line in all of this.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Please say you're looking into 12th scale.
You're the type of racer we need more of
And we still have a strong showing in boosted 13.5.
As soon as I can put my money where my mouth is, I will certainly be considering it, would like to do on and off road. 1/12 scale looks very intriguing, and certainly has a lot of history behind it. What ever it is, I'm looking for the most bang for my buck, and having the opportunity, to work on not only my driving skills, but my tuning skills is very appealing. I like the idea where the range of time put into it can go from, throw it down on the starting line at the race to, digging into all the science behind what makes them work, that's where you add the most bang for your buck imo. I have to admit, I was a little bummed when I starting looking back into it, and saw how brushless had removed motor tuning out of the equation, seemed like part of the fun was gone, but there is the ESC timing now, where blinky isn't concerned. I have no interest in RTR, good if you're just starting out, but beyond that, takes all the mechanic fun out of it. For me stock/spec class should mean, your hardware is reasonably consistent with everyone else's, with out breaking the bank, instead putting everything into driver and tuning skill. Which tuning skill, considering the internet age, there is a ton of info out there to get you pretty much where you need to be, its not like a black box filled with rumor and speculation, the info is out there readily accessible, its just to reach that upper percentile you need to fully understand it.
I'm not a big fan of dumbing stuff down, if you haven't noticed Think that falls in line with some of the things people have said on here about competition, not giving everyone a trophy, etc. I would think to grow the hobby in a meaningful sustained way, you need various levels of accomplishments to achieve, which goes beyond just winning a race. Also seems some people think competition and fun, are mutually exclusive. Fact of life, there are more losers than winners, that's what makes that day you do win, actually mean something. To me, sandbagging, cherry picking, what ever you call it, is an empty experience, what challenge have you met in yourself? None. When loosing is the exception, the only thing you have to achieve in life is failure.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
Cherry picking is when you run a class you're sure you can win in, with minimal competition.
AKA "Trohpy Hunter". I've come across plenty of those in my time.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Good luck Wingman2, that track is superb ! Skyrocket, whem you qualify for the Masters Class, you are in a league of your own buddy: at your advance age running one class is like running ten classes at our age...lol...
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

The last post was for Skypilot, not Skyrocket ! I am getting old...lol...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Good luck Wingman2, that track is superb ! Skyrocket, whem you qualify for the Masters Class, you are in a league of your own buddy: at your advance age running one class is like running ten classes at our age...lol...
I don't pretend to be better then anyone else because of the number of classes I run at a major race.

Don't pretend like its some kind of major feat to run more then one class, not really that big of a deal, been there done that, several times, did it this year at Reedy, really not that big a deal, just not going to put anyone down for chosing to run one class, and used my previous post as an example of one race where I traveled half way across the country to run one class at a major race.

I do understand you meant no harm in your little joke as it was all you had to respond with.

good day.

I'm old, I'm fat, I'm bald, and I look good holding my Masters National Champ plaque....
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrspruitt
As soon as I can put my money where my mouth is, I will certainly be considering it, would like to do on and off road. 1/12 scale looks very intriguing, and certainly has a lot of history behind it. What ever it is, I'm looking for the most bang for my buck,
HERE is a ton of info to delve into while you gearing up to make a comeback.

As for Blinky, don't fool yourself into thinking that's an easy class.
There is a lot of tuning there to find the sweet spot.
Timing, Rotor, & gearing will keep you busy for a while.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
HERE is a ton of info to delve into while you gearing up to make a comeback.

As for Blinky, don't fool yourself into thinking that's an easy class.
There is a lot of tuning there to find the sweet spot.
Timing, Rotor, & gearing will keep you busy for a while.
Awesome, thank you.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

No need to get excited Skypilot, I was just saying it's much harder for older people, that's all, not only in the actual racing reflexes itself, but also in the equipment hauling ,etc.... Hats off to your first place plaque buddy...
Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

No need to get excited Skypilot, I was just saying it's much harder for older people, that's all, not only in the actual racing reflexes itself, but also in the equipment hauling ,etc.... Hats off to your first place plaque buddy...
It isn't harder for old people to drive the little car..just minimize the throttle and stay in the middle...lol
Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Rc racing is very stressfull, and causes old folks to loose their balance, nose bleed, drop the remote, and sometimes faint. I have seen it first hand, and recommend a first aid kit at every track ! I don't know exactly how old some of these guys are, but they're up there ! All kidding aside, a fall from the driverstand can cause death......
Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
That practice right there is to blame, IMO. I understand kids like prizes, but giving every team and every player a trophy for every Little League game is just entrenching an entitlement attitude in the minds of our country's youth.

Do you know what my proudest moment in racing was? I was 9, ran my first kart race without getting lapped, took a season to get there. My dad was thrilled, I was happy, we talked about it all week, and I don't even have a trophy for it.

My second proudest moment in racing? My first win, age 10, the following season.

Accomplishments stick with you, especially when they are difficult to achieve.
Exactly.... Damn we really need a sarcasm font, especially for me.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.