Wiki Posts
Search

Fastest Spec/Blinky Mode ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
Correct again. Winning at any competitive activity is a by-product of improving upon ones self through hard work through both mental and physical preparation. Anyone who truly desires to improve himself understands this very basic concept and takes pride in their accomplishments along this journey. They also understand there is no fast track to success. The game is supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be challenging, if it's all too easy to be competitive then what's the point. For years I have wondered why are there so many drivers in my location that don't make the jump to the next level. Case in point, we have a local club race at the Tamiya USA track and there are currently 29 drivers signed up to run Modified yet only about 5 or 6 will run Mod consistently at any time. Now although it's great that there are 23 other guys running it and who knows maybe they will continue to run it but I highly doubt it. And the question that comes to mind is why wouldn't they continue to? What can be done to get them to continue to run it? I've seen guys start to move up and in this case run mod a few times only to get discouraged because of what seems to me them wanting to become competitive immediately and when it doesn't they drop back down to stock. When the boosted speedo rules were changed instead of drivers moving up they dropped down to slower classes and caused several other drivers to quit racing because now the drivers who were running modified type classes and are clearly faster are now running all over the slower class drivers. So why when the rules changed did they step down instead of stepping up? These are veteran drivers I am talking about that stepped down. It's mental and I think that it's something that no one can teach or change, it's up to the driver to understand the benefit in this case of running the fastest motor class. "Without struggle there's no progress."
Was my post totally misread/bypassed as that's exactly the point I wished to make...lol
Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
Let's agree to disagree that we're not competing about competition ...lol
Done
You are correct though in your posts and in the one I'm replying to
Thanks. Sometimes I feel like the only sane one, but the more these topics pop up, the more polished my reply gets, and the more I see I'm not the only one.

If I can scrape together funds to hit Snowbirds this year, I'll be easy to spot because I'll be making special T-Shirts.
I personally want to just race 12th mod and TC mod to avoid all this "extra" competition
Is it considered cherry picking if you race the smallest turnout class, even if it's the most insanely over powered class?
I guess I was feeling this argument/debate and wanted to put my two cents in to aid in it's betterment of all but perhaps talking to some it's like speaking to deaf ears so people need a better perspective/strategy to solve this problem amongst certain non-mod classes
I know what you mean. I'm not quite ready to go mod full time, but I would probably sell off my onroad stuff and go Legends or Modified racing [full size] if non-ROAR events I want to hit ever go 100% blinky in all spec motor classes [IIC, Snowbirds, etc.].
Take care HL
I appreciate it Kel, sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Was my post totally misread/bypassed as that's exactly the point I wished to make...lol
Misread by me, no not at all, I just felt compelled to write what has always been on my mind instead of letting others write it and me just agree to it
Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

I think myself and Fred are just more quotable on this topic right now, no offense.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
I think myself and Fred are just more quotable on this topic right now, no offense.
Yep
Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Done
Thanks. Sometimes I feel like the only sane one, but the more these topics pop up, the more polished my reply gets, and the more I see I'm not the only one.
Being the only sane one is something everyone want's but only a few have and I like your comments

If I can scrape together funds to hit Snowbirds this year, I'll be easy to spot because I'll be making special T-Shirts.
I wear an XL barely cause I am so buffed/drink beer ...lol
Is it considered cherry picking if you race the smallest turnout class, even if it's the most insanely over powered class?
Not sure what cherry picking means...lol...but if it's includes hot babes I'm in

Over powered or empowered

I know what you mean. I'm not quite ready to go mod full time, but I would probably sell off my onroad stuff and go Legends or Modified racing *full size* if non-ROAR events I want to hit ever go 100% blinky in all spec motor classes [IIC, Snowbirds, etc.]
It's just my class and it's awesome to know when you can raise the roof and when to do the best under the roof your in ...lol

I appreciate it Kel, sorry for the confusion.
Just keeping you and me on your/my toes

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
Misread by me, no not at all, I just felt compelled to write what has always been on my mind instead of letting others write it and me just agree to it
I appreciate an edited version re-edited ...lol

I think I just mean well and wish things we're better for all regarding stock classes cause it's harder for me to think about myself as I "grow" older which is my whole point
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Why do all these threds end up an argument about blinky verses boosted all the guy asked was which speedo is faster in blinky and in my oppinion the speedpassion is in tc cause the smoothness and in pan cars the tekin, it seems to be a little more agressive witch in my oppinion is better with cars that have higher grip
Old 10-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't see how any racer can go far to any event to run just one class. Two classes is the minimum I run: stock and Mod or 13.5t and Mod , but always Mod !!!! Mod is where your reputation is made: there is no stock World Champion. Stock is really for fun, or to apply some of what you learned running Mod. I was used to stock car speed since age 12 with Nikko F1 cars , but Mod speed, and throttle control is another story.....
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Why do all these threds end up an argument about blinky verses boosted all the guy asked was which speedo is faster in blinky and in my oppinion the speedpassion is in tc cause the smoothness and in pan cars the tekin, it seems to be a little more agressive witch in my oppinion is better with cars that have higher grip
Never get that. I have only used a Tekin speedo since going brushless, and with blinky I get all the feel I want. I select a linear throttle profile and then use the expodential function on my t/x to get the feel rquired. Am I the only one that does that?!

To be honest though, our local club is quite small (around 7 second laptime) so most of the time, throttle is jammed wide open with 10.5 blinky!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

That is exactly the problem with slower blinky classes: jamming the throttle !!! You can't do that all the time in Mod , and that scares away the untalented ! Europeans ,on the other hand, take up the challenge , and get rewarded with World Champion titles most of the time.......
Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
That is exactly the problem with slower blinky classes: jamming the throttle !!! You can't do that all the time in Mod , and that scares away the untalented ! Europeans ,on the other hand, take up the challenge , and get rewarded with World Champion titles most of the time.......

Yeah and most of their ("Europeans") tracks are 35 x 60 with 2x4 barriers. No wonder they all drive modified....
Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

The point is Mod drivers tend to have more skills period !
Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

. I was used to stock car speed since age 12 with Nikko F1 cars , but Mod speed, and throttle control is another story.....

Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

You are completely correct, you do have to have better throttle feel with mod, and you have to drive the car differantly as well. That's the fun with our nationals, 10.5 blinky national on Saturday, mod national on Sunday. National weekends here in the UK are fun!!

Here's where the first national is going to be this coming weekend:

Looking forward to it, cheers!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

I'm looking to get involved in RC racing again, which a stock class would be where I planned on starting, so this is rather interesting to me. I didn't know there was such an issue with the ESC's. Forcing the "blinky mode" sounds a bit silly, in the sense that its creating a market for the ESC of the week, to go with motor and batteries. Which just seems senseless to me, no matter what my budget, the idea of buying paper weight after paper weight just to get a little edge, is just wasteful, both resources and money, and would make it a hobby that is easy to burn out on, unless you're addicted shopping or something. I always considered a spec type class was to keep the costs down and competition up. Which as far as I know, it doesn't cost anything to learn how to tune your ESC, much like suspension, and as far as I'm concerned, learning something should be promoted. Is there any down side to the timing? Like if you make it much faster are you burning up a motor every run, forcing people to buy new motors every race just to stay competitive? Otherwise the "blinky mode" seems to have exchanged learning how to tune your car, which only takes time to learn, with, buying the latest greatest hardware every time it comes out. Which is not in the spirit of what spec classes are about, sounds more like an unlimited class, where money=speed. Win loose or draw, for me at least, I'd much rather know the only thing between me and winning is me, not just how much money I can throw at it, anyone can do that, its a contest of skill, not disposable income.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.