Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New carpet racer needs your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:25 AM

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)
Default New carpet racer needs your opinions

I am a converted off-road nitro racer now going to try carpet and next year on-road. I just acquirred a Factory Team TC3. What should I look at for tires, batteries, motors, chargers radio etc. In off-road you are not concerned with weight so we dont use any micro electronics. Any help or suugestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would get:
the touring car spring set from associated to give you the springs you need for carpet and asphalt
shock oils from 30-80 wt
tires are tough its best to see what the fast guys in your area are using, it could be anything from pink, double pink, magenta, cyan, purple, double purple and others
batteries: sub $50 packs from kinetix, hurricane, promatch, smc, etc. are all you'll really need for a long time; likely at least 4 packs to cover a race day
motors: will you run stock,mod, 19 or other? stock: something trinity monster based or p2k2 is good;
mod: I'm a big fan of budget mod like the upcoming orion formula, reedy flashpoint, or trinity speedgems you get most of the benefits of the new motor designs at a lower cost and a very slight loss of performance (so slight that its hard to notice), if you cant stand the thought of "budget" you can step up to the full race version from those same companies
19: reedy QM19, trinity chameleon 2, orion element are good 19's
charger: reedy Quasar or lrp pulsar; good chargers that cover a lot of bases
radio: M8 is still the standard but futaba, hitec, ko,jr are all good, get one with things like dual rate, and exponential, another thing nice but not crucial is synthesized frequencies so you can change channels without having to buy crystals
esc: lrp quantum comp/or comp 2, lrp v7.1, novak gt7/gtx, get something with a low or now motor limit, these will have the best efficency and features for racing anything from stock to mod
you might have to look all over the place from your hobby shop, online stores, ebay and your track to get good new/used deals for all this $$
Old 11-25-2004, 06:57 PM

Thanks! This will give me a good start
Old 11-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Packfan, What class are you going to be racing, and where? I have an awesome setup for Road Rage if ya want it.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:05 PM

That is the place. I am a newbie to carpet. I bought a TC3 FT with quite a few hardcore racing hop-ups (I will receive Saturday). Also an Integy setup station and a set of Trinity purple tires. I will be racing sportman to start since this is the "beginner" class i believe. Any help would be outstanding. Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Its a great place to race. You will get alot of help from everyone there. Just show up at the track well get ya all set up. The Take off 27 tires Jason sells are what you want. For motors the Monster stock or the ROAR motor is what runs best there. Theres no real need for ya to have any special electronics yet. For batteries any GP 3300's will work well for you and last a long time. Most everything is going to depend on your budget, and how serious you plan on getting.

I have my rubber setup posted on my website if ya want a good starting point. Since you have driving experience you should get up to speed prtetty quick.