R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

LRP Brush $11.00 Euro = $14.75 US Dollars

It is the "Distribution" chain that moves the price up so far. Without going into the details of Hobby Store discount rates from distributors...lets just say that $30.00 brushes sets a dangerous precedent in our hobby.

Basic rule of business is charge what the market will bear, not one penny more (you lose sales) not one penny less (you lose profit). What determines what the market will bear (in our case) is the racer that either does, or does not, purchase the brushes. It is also a well known fact in our hobby that most racers are sheep. Sad but true. So when you combine the "racers are sheep" with the "charge what the market will bear" then you get $30.00 brushes. Don't try to "cost justify" the usage of these brushes. See this for what it is. If you are then willing to pay this amount then by all means....go ahead. I personally will be making wiser investments.
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Advil I agree

To the rest

Last edited by Chris Reilly; 12-01-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

TexRacer- Even though you come accross a little harsh, I totally agree with you. The people complaining about it are not the ones who even run the class they are intended to be used for. I am with you, if I run my 8t on carpet, after one run the brushes are green and blue, com is purple etc. The initial cost is high but it does save the MOD SEDAN racer (maybe not everyone else) money over 30 runs.

Not to mention that it saves time in the pits. Having to rebrush/cut every run takes time away from your chassis, trueing tires, etc, especially when club racing in a quick program. The convenience of just leaving the brush on the endbell and not having to rebrush will be a huge convenience.

I too have tried the V2, and yes they last longer than standard brushhooded motors, but they are a pain to rebuild, and IMO opinion do not put out the same power as my YOK, or EPIC cans (all TOP, YOK, EPIC arms wound by same individual). Nor will they last 30 runs, I was getting about 4 runs in sedan.

Does it sit well with me to spend $2X.XX (because many places WON'T charge the full retail), no. But I will atleast give one pair a try before I sit and wonder how much time and effort and $ I could save.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:32 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

And as a general rule of thumb, most things in the hobby are about 100% markup (from what it actually costs the LHS, not to produce), so they will probably run the LHS's my guess would be $12-17 therefore many will be willing to sell in the lower $20's. Keep that in mind before getting worked up about the $30 retail.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #50
Tech Elite

I'm totally on Brandon and Tex's side. There's no way someone can be that thick-headed as to think this is markup scam or over pricing, UNLESS they think they can run that set of high power brushes until they catch fire or evaporate. Then, maybe, these brushes are overpriced.

Tex w/ these brushes, does the comm wear faster or slower? I haven't seen any info on that aspect.

Yes, the V2 is a pain in the A$$ but if it takes an extra 5 minutes to get those springs back in, then thats less time than 6 motor rebuilds w/ a Reedy, Yokomo, or Trinity.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:58 PM   #51
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hahhahah TexRacer:

"But if you have never used them and cant do math please do us all a HUGE FAVOR AND

SHUT UP! I fell like im in a room full of women.lol."

A bit brutal, no??? heh heh Just struck me as funny. Oh well.

Anyway, I think we've pretty much covered the bases on this subject. You can try them or you can't.

But they're THAT good...
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:14 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Tex w/ these brushes, does the comm wear faster or slower? I haven't seen any info on that aspect.
I can answer that. You will get less comm wear. I know its hard to believe but its true. You have to try it for yourself, thats the only way you will find out how good these brushes are.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I talked to Sean Cochrane from Reedy....he said these brushes excel outdoors in hot enviroments or whenever you may be overheating the motor.

I asked both Barry Baker and Mike Blackstock what they were running at Cleveland (and TRUST me, both would tell me) and neither were using them in Sedan or 1/12th Scale...Sean back this up and said they were using the 729.

I have talked to some european guys who said this brush performs no better or worse than the CS brush....which can be had in the US for like $15 or less (I've got them IN stock if you want them)

Later EddieO
Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 AM   #54
Tech Elite

But Reedy is better known than CS, isn't that worth the extra 15 bucks????
Old 12-02-2004, 05:26 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Guys Please understand I was being funny,harsh and VERY REAL in my post.
They are NOT $30.00 unless your paying full retail for them.
Most stores will sell them for $22.99-25.99 a pair if they will even stock them.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:
This brush is pretty much ONLY intended for a sedan racer using 7-10 turns.Guys who run this class understand that brushes are pretty much gone after 1 run.The comm is worn too.
With the LRP/REEDY brush the motor will last longer due to less comm wear and the brushes will last at least 20-35 runs depending on the person,car,gearing and enviroment.
I have played with them in offroad and have over 50 runs on the same pair.Im cutting the motor about every 10th run.
I did this to simply TEST the brushes.

Eddie at Team Br00d has the CS brushes in Stock.They are pretty much the same brush.If you would like to try some contact Eddie.Great guy to deal with and knows his way around motor's thats for sure.
But again just so everyone understands.If you dont race MOD SEDAN then why are you even worried?lol.Kidding guys.
Have a Great Holidays Everyone and have fun racing.
Les
Old 12-02-2004, 05:48 AM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Yes, you get equally less comm wear. It looks as the brush gives the comm a "silvery" surface, which in turn protects the comm in some way. Not a good explanation I know, but give them a try and you'll see what I mean.

@Advil: I see your point.
For all we know they could cost just the same as any other brush to produce. And me we should be paying just the same as we do for other brushes.

Lets say one set of normal brushes cost $3. From that you get maximum 3-4 runs.
3/3=1 Each run costs $1.

Now lets say you get 50 runs from the Reedy 777/ CS high silver brush. Street price is $25.
25/50=0,5 Each run costs $0,5.

If the 777/high silver did cost the same as regular brushes this would be the result:
3/50=0,06 Each run costs $0,06.

So yes, of course it would be better for us racers if the 777 did cost $3. But as long as the manufacturers/distributors can sell them for $25 they will. And it still gives us twice as many runs for each $.

Conclusion: You get twice as much runtime with this brush than with regular brushes. To me that sounds like a good deal…

For me this is an even better deal, because regular brushes cost 5,5-7,5 USD where I live. And the CS brush costs 18 USD…
OleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Default Tony

Are these brushes going to be available in laydown for stock/19T. thanks.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:15 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Why would anybody not just run orions. In mod buggy we see 30 runs without drop in performance. With a 12 double how many runs would you get with the reedy's and would you have comparable power.
IndyPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

They are not available for laydown and they are pretty much impossible to reshape into laydown....if you screw up you are out big money.

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2004, 03:09 AM   #60
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyPhil
With a 12 double how many runs would you get with the reedy's and would you have comparable power.
At least the same, and yes.
OleC is offline   Reply With Quote