Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoRookie
The problem with those, if I remember the dating right, was that they came out about the same time the first Touring Cars came on the market. The TCs couldn't compete with the 1/10th pan cars, and being roughly the same weight as TCs the RC10DS was forced to run with the 4wds. No win situation.
I agree with you completely. I was just throwing ideas out there like everyone else who is trying to figure out what the magic bullet for onroad will be. I still think it will have to be something simple and tough that a guy can knock around with at home. Something that looks good too. I think AE was on the right track just missed the train lol.....
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Good to see all F1 chassis allowed to participate...
At first sure, but then narrow the rules down. The longer we just let any chassis run the longer it will be before manufactures start to have consistency in car dimensions. There is almost no incentive for a manufacture to adhere to any specific specs right now.

What width cars are available right now?

200mm
3racing F109
F103
F104w
F104w Exotek?

190mm
3racing FGX

180mm
F104
F104 Exotek
HPI Formula Ten
Would a F103 fit here using F104 front arms and F104 tires?

Honestly the F103 and F104w cars should be in a vintage type class. The main F1 class should have a strong focus on keeping things looking scale based on the current F1 rules. Again this only happens after running the cars already and getting people on the track, then start to narrow the rules down.

It will be interesting to see how the new suspension on the FGX works out. I am happy with my Exotek on asphalt and carpet with rubber tires.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
At first sure, but then narrow the rules down. The longer we just let any chassis run the longer it will be before manufactures start to have consistency in car dimensions. There is almost no incentive for a manufacture to adhere to any specific specs right now.

200mm
3racing F109
F103
F104w
F104w Exotek?

190mm
3racing FGX

180mm
F104
F104 Exotek
HPI Formula Ten

Honestly the F103 and F104w cars should be in a vintage type class. The main F1 class should have a strong focus on keeping things looking scale based on the current F1 rules. Again this only happens after running the cars already and getting people on the track, then start to narrow the rules down.

It will be interesting to see how the new suspension on the FGX works out. I am happy with my Exotek on asphalt and carpet with rubber tires.
The only oddball car in the lot is the 3Racing FGX. Every other car on that list can be made 200mm or 180mm. Most it just requires a narrow(104) or wide (103 style) front end set up and the correct tires.

Luckily, most manufacturers tried to use standardized pieces.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cross you are 100% right about letting everybody participate, then narrow things down later on. Nobody wants to go at an event, and findout they don't allow your car to run because of a few millimeters. Most won't come back after that !
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Forgot to have the Corally on that list any any other pan car based chassis that may crop up.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Pan car based chassis should be allowed as long as the tires are trimmed like the tamiyas...
Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Pan car based chassis should be allowed as long as the tires are trimmed like the tamiyas...
Now I like that idea. I'm sure some would still complain. We can call those people...spectators! That way Alphacat can run his cars,I can run my Corally, or the crc or the Old HPI...Let's race!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
Now I like that idea. I'm sure some would still complain. We can call those people...spectators! That way Alphacat can run his cars,I can run my Corally, or the crc or the Old HPI...Let's race!
i have a beautiful vintage F1 body for pan car in the garage... might could be talked into parting with it..
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CR0SS

200mm
3racing F109
F103
F104w
F104w Exotek?

190mm
3racing FGX

180mm
F104
F104 Exotek
HPI Formula Ten

My F104Pro is lined up in that pic on the previous page. We race this class for fun. No-one cares that there are F103's, 104W's, 104Pro's, Corallys, 109's. We all have fun, and infact for all of us this is only a second car behind something else we race on the same day. We run brushed silver can motors, 2 cell batteries, foam tyres, so they are all pretty even, most of us run pretty much the same gear ratios even. This is the class that I started in, and to be honest I think it was a good decision!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FST4RD
My F104Pro is lined up in that pic on the previous page. We race this class for fun. No-one cares that there are F103's, 104W's, 104Pro's, Corallys, 109's. We all have fun, and infact for all of us this is only a second car behind something else we race on the same day. We run brushed silver can motors, 2 cell batteries, foam tyres, so they are all pretty even, most of us run pretty much the same gear ratios even. This is the class that I started in, and to be honest I think it was a good decision!
Attaboy FST4RD! Just race the !!!#% things. That's what they were made for. I am going to encourage others to cut the wheels on the pro10 cars to mount foams of the correct width as a tamiya tire which would mean everybody can race. Sign me up!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So I am trying really hard not to be the over opinionated guy that I usually am, and you guys are making it really hard.
My question to all is... Why does F1 need to be anything other than what it is already?
Everybody wants to change the cars, the rules , and anything else that they deem not right. If you roll all the opinions expressed on this thread into a class, it would be the same as any number of classes that already exist.
I said it before and i'll say it again, F1 is a unique class, snobby?Maybe, elitist? a little.
I like cool stuff as much as the next guy, and when it comes to F1 chassis there is a ton of cool stuff out there for sale. But when it comes down to it most of it is a derivative of the Tamiya chassis.
I am a dealer for Exotek, Yeah Racing and DDrive, and I hope to add more in the future. All of those companies make great products, but I have seen it time and time again, theres always a guy that shows up with minimal hop ups and runs away with it because he sweated the details and put the time in on the track.
There are a lot of people out there who right off the bat that want to discount a Tamiya chassis as a competitive race car, and this is where the class starts to fall apart. It is possible to take a stock 104 add $30-$50 of hop ups and be competitive. At that point chassis investment is right around $200.
Im not suggesting that the 104 become an F1 spec chassis, I'm more saying that the class does not need another chassis in the mix to confuse things further. The new 3racing chassis looks cool, and I plan on stocking it in the near future, but it does complicate things a bit, because of the difference in track widths.
Im not suggesting that new drivers stay away from the class, but I don't think that there should a push to make it a mainstream deal either.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

How many of us on these threads race F1 as their premiere class?

Just curious since I only started racing these when I saw them on carpet a little over a couple years a go. At that exact same time I was reminded of the Tamiya TCS racing that had been running for years at Tamiya Aliso which is only 10 min. from my house.
I just never had Tamiya cars so I had no interest in the series and the only time I even went to the track was to see the Reedy Touring Cars race in the early thru mid 2000s.
I got a used F103 on a Wed., raced it on the carpet on Thurs. and heard that the TCS Regionals were on Sat. and that's how fast I got hooked on F1.
Not long after that, Charles Lightfoot masterminded the first Ultimate F1 race which was also held at Tamiya Aliso. Now I'm an F1 racer for life BUT it still is not my premiere class. I'm an offroad guy, and race it every week. Been an offroad guy since the mid 80s with some touring cars thrown in during the mid 90s.

Now to my point, I can't wait to race F1s when we run them and that is because we now have the UF1 Series that gets us to show up once a month due to careful planning, an awesome race format, controlled rules that we have all come to agree on and adhere to and best of all a great group of guys.
Thanks again Charles and Tim for keeping this fire lit.

If we were trying to push for F1 racing every week it would most likely have died off by now so maybe get a fun loose schedule going where you're at and keep in contact with the racers that are interested and get em out on a regular basis too.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Currently our area has no F1 racing but I am hoping on changing that. So right now it isn't my premiere class. I was the race director of our local F1 class for over 10 years and during a number of those years I got burnt out on RC and stopped racing everything except for F1. Been back to regular racing again now for a few years and F1 died
Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Are the tracks still there? The wife and I went to Hawaii and she said "NO F1 Racing at Sandy Flemings while on vacation"! So I killed her. But she's much better now.

Hey Gadget. Remember that Nikko F1? I sent them to alphacat and he put real pods on them and said they would fly after that. Still a long wheelbase though. One of them actually got 3rd In the GA championships. Then the gang started saying stuff like "Hey 3rd place is not bad for a 2 car race!". This is my life with the people I race with.

Last edited by mxrich; 10-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

VTA is my premiere class at the moment, BUT as F1 picks up steam and drivers, that will change. We just dont have enough drivers to race every race day yet. Alot of positive feedback from guys that are interested in F1. More than I anticipated when I first got mine. Within 4 months we ve gone from no F1s to 9. We just never show up at the track at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.