Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mxrich
Are the tracks still there? The wife and I went to Hawaii and she said "NO F1 Racing at Sandy Flemings while on vacation"! So I killed her. But she's much better now.

Hey Gadget. Remember that Nikko F1? I sent them to alphacat and he put real pods on them and said they would fly after that. Still a long wheelbase though. One of them actually got 3rd In the GA championships. Then the gang started saying stuff like "Hey 3rd place is not bad for a 2 car race!". This is my life with the people I race with.
The racing at Sandy Fleming's died off due to a new track opening up in Kunia...so now we have an actual track! It is great not having to spend 3 hours on race day mornings prepping and setting up the track

Yeah that Nikko F1 worked really well...especially for a Nikko. Not sure if I still have mine or not.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
How many of us on these threads race F1 as their premiere class?

Just curious since I only started racing these when I saw them on carpet a little over a couple years a go. At that exact same time I was reminded of the Tamiya TCS racing that had been running for years at Tamiya Aliso which is only 10 min. from my house.
I just never had Tamiya cars so I had no interest in the series and the only time I even went to the track was to see the Reedy Touring Cars race in the early thru mid 2000s.
I got a used F103 on a Wed., raced it on the carpet on Thurs. and heard that the TCS Regionals were on Sat. and that's how fast I got hooked on F1.
Not long after that, Charles Lightfoot masterminded the first Ultimate F1 race which was also held at Tamiya Aliso. Now I'm an F1 racer for life BUT it still is not my premiere class. I'm an offroad guy, and race it every week. Been an offroad guy since the mid 80s with some touring cars thrown in during the mid 90s.

Now to my point, I can't wait to race F1s when we run them and that is because we now have the UF1 Series that gets us to show up once a month due to careful planning, an awesome race format, controlled rules that we have all come to agree on and adhere to and best of all a great group of guys.
Thanks again Charles and Tim for keeping this fire lit.

If we were trying to push for F1 racing every week it would most likely have died off by now so maybe get a fun loose schedule going where you're at and keep in contact with the racers that are interested and get em out on a regular basis too.
Quite.
TC is my main class, and probably always will be... but (as I'm sure a few people have seen on here) I am really digging the F1 vibe at the moment, in a way I didn't with my FF03 (shame, still fun to dig it out once in a while), mostly because there are more people running them here, and competition/banter always helps.
We've also got a series being pushed here, and that seems to have caught the imagination of a number of guys too.

I do agree that if push came to shove on a club weekend, there would be no way I could do both classes on the same day, so F1 would be the first to be dropped, and I know I wouldn't be the only one. Having a regular, but separate, F1 only series is a good solution to keep the interest going... obviously when commonality in rules can be agreed
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Im not suggesting that the 104 become an F1 spec chassis, I'm more saying that the class does not need another chassis in the mix to confuse things further. The new 3racing chassis looks cool, and I plan on stocking it in the near future, but it does complicate things a bit, because of the difference in track widths.
I don't see how this does anything but force the manufacturers to shy away from the class entirely, there's no reason to design another car because you're saying to outlaw anything that's not a 104 or just like a 104, and without manufacturer support you're left with nothing and this class is dead in the water before it ever really gets started.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe every region should start having ideas about a "big" F1 event for 2012. Gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In Europe they had a DTM class, running RTR's mainly for the new generation. I don't know if Nikko's were allowed, but they are fast for $100 and mabuchi motors...
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

F1 once a month is perfect for me and seems to work well with our gang too.

Make a schedule with a few guys and I'll bet it catches on.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
F1 once a month is perfect for me and seems to work well with our gang too.

Make a schedule with a few guys and I'll bet it catches on.

true dat. Its catching in Dallas. Just race em.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I brought this from the F1 pics whatever thread.

Yes in every way! Start with two classes. Silvercan and pick a bl system maybe 21.5 as standards and pass the word around. When the builders see what is going on then they will see $ signs in their future. One thing that will happen will be the pro10 guys wanting to race, but not everywhere. They like "BIG" tracks so they can use big motors. I would not be against it but that is another topic. So who want's to be on the commitee to get this rolling? Maybe 5 people from around the country and Canada? It's time to think about 2012 before the earth is destroyed like they say on the history channel.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
I brought this from the F1 pics whatever thread.

Yes in every way! Start with two classes. Silvercan and pick a bl system maybe 21.5 as standards and pass the word around. When the builders see what is going on then they will see $ signs in their future. One thing that will happen will be the pro10 guys wanting to race, but not everywhere. They like "BIG" tracks so they can use big motors. I would not be against it but that is another topic. So who want's to be on the commitee to get this rolling? Maybe 5 people from around the country and Canada? It's time to think about 2012 before the earth is destroyed like they say on the history channel.
I'll second this. Decision to form a committee, Those in favor?

I propose the rule sets for the 2 UF1 classes.

The floor is now open for nominations.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I nominate mxrich...do I have a second?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I nominate mxrich...do I have a second?
hell take all the time you need.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey everybody! A bunch of friends of mine are thinking about starting a summer parking lot F1 league in Green Bay next summer, and we were wondering if there is a link where typical F1 rules are posted. I've looked around, but haven't really come up with any solid guidelines. Any help would be appreciated, ty.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Howler
Hey everybody! A bunch of friends of mine are thinking about starting a summer parking lot F1 league in Green Bay next summer, and we were wondering if there is a link where typical F1 rules are posted. I've looked around, but haven't really come up with any solid guidelines. Any help would be appreciated, ty.
here ya go

http://uf1series.com/rules.html
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
hell take all the time you need.
lol...I was invoking parliamentary procedure...when you nominate someon and ask for a second, youre asking if someone agrees with your nomination. or motion
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Howler
These are the rules we stole, bent and made up with no idea how a F1 car even drives. However we do have rules in place and people are buying nd building cars for this class right this minute. We should be starting or racing in 2 weeks or so. Once we start all these rules might just go in the gabage for all i know. lol

Below are the planned F-1 rules for this years indoor season at the Woodville Mall indoor track in Toledo, OH. If you have any concern or constructive comments, please reply.

Chassis rules for the Tamiya F104 class

All chassis platforms must be built per the instruction manual. Altering their basic structure and design is prohibited.

This class is baised off the Tamiya F104 chassis so you must run a F104 chassis that is 180mm wide. The Tamiya F104-W will not be eligible for points or awards as it is 20mm wider than all the other 104's as are all the Tamiya F103's. Legal chassis would be Tamiya F104, Tamiya 104-PRO, Tamiya F104-X1

Tamiya parts only. No parts from other manufactures unless specified within this document.

Any Tamiya Hop-Up Option and spare part is allowed and legal as long as it is used in the way it was designed, and installed on the vehicle it was designed for.

It is strictly forbidden to re-engineer or modify the car in any way other than with Tamiya Hop-Ups or kit supplied accessories.

Chassis lightening (by means of milling parts) is prohibited.

Lightweight screws or adjustable turnbuckles that are made of aluminum, steel or Titanium that are made by other manufactures are allowed. i.e. any screw or turnbuckle is legal.

The use of thin shims (available at most hobby stores and made available by Tamiya) to space out the slop or play in suspension arms, steering bell-cranks and wheel axles is permitted. Shimming the aforementioned components of the car in a way that alters the geometry of the car or its basic geometry design is not legal.

The use of O-Rings on shock ball ends and camber/steering links is allowed.

Changing the camber-link positions on the car other than the way it was intended is prohibited.

Camber links must be positioned in the mounting holes they were originally drilled for. Drilling new camber link holes is not permitted or legal.

Steering tie-rod linkages, on all chassis platforms, must be attached to the steering knuckle per the instruction manual. Drilling new holes to change “ackerman” is not permitted. Raising and lowering the steering tie-rod with shims, on the steering knuckle itself to change bump steer is permitted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELECTRONICS

Motors: Any ROAR approved 21.5 brushless motor. Adjusting of the end bell is not permitted. The Tamiya Silver can motor is permitted. It is forbidden to crank the timing on the 540-J motor physically or through the use of rare earth magnets.

ESC: Any ROAR approved Sportsman class speed controls. You may view the list here. sportsman ESC list

Battery: 2 cell lipo, or 6 cell NiMH

Sport packs that are readily available at hobby stores are legal as long as they are assembled from the general hobby industry i.e. Orion, Peak, Reedy, Duratrax, Dynamite, Trinity and Hobbico etc.

Any battery connector or direct hard wiring to the battery is allowed.

Lipo batteries must be in a hard case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Body

All Bodies must be made for the Tamiya F-104

All car bodies must be painted and must be cut along the trim lines. You are not allowed to create extra vent holes for the purpose of ventilation or performance enhancement. Leaving extra material below the trim lines of the body is prohibited.

All car bodies must use the wings that are supplied in the kit. Mixing and matching wings, between different body styles, is not allowed.
In the spirit of keeping the Racing scale in appearance to the public all bodies should appear to be of a real F1 team or look like it could be a real F1 team. Vintage F1 team colors are permitted.

Tires and Wheels

Spec tire: Pit Shimizu pre mounts (Not sure on the compounds yet)

Tire conditioners are allowed on tires.

If a driver finds a loophole within the rules, the exploitation will be deemed illegal at the discretion of the race director.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.