Wiki Posts
Search

new HPI Sprint 2 Flux starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new HPI Sprint 2 Flux starting issue

Hello all,

I am new to this and so bought a RTR HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Besides it taking me 3 hours to set it up due to an obsolete manual, there may an issue with the car's electronics/drivetrain...

When I am starting from a stopped position the car hesitates. It seems to twitch while accelerating from 0 to 3-5mph. After this it's smooth, but every time I try to start the electric motor seems to hesitate for a bit. Also, during every twitch/hesitation the light on the ESC blips yellow. On something like a thick carpet the twitching/hesitation is at its worst, while on asphalt it's a bit better but still there. I have calibrated the remote (as far as I know), so not sure what the problem is.

I expect a smooth take off from a stopped position, but like I said I am new to this so not sure what is normal and what isn't. Any ideas?

Is this to be expected from a RTR and would I need to upgrade something?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I had bought one of these as well this past saturday and it took me a bit of time to set up as well. I had to look up instructions on the web since the manual is obsolete. I just wanted to confirm that this doesn't have a off and on switch, correct? I believe I have a defective battery as well since my car only runs for less than 5 minutes. I tried the battery in a friends car and it only ran for 3-4 minutes. my car hesitates too in the beginning? I hope some experts can chime in on this.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chamade
Hello all,

I am new to this and so bought a RTR HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Besides it taking me 3 hours to set it up due to an obsolete manual, there may an issue with the car's electronics/drivetrain...

When I am starting from a stopped position the car hesitates. It seems to twitch while accelerating from 0 to 3-5mph. After this it's smooth, but every time I try to start the electric motor seems to hesitate for a bit. Also, during every twitch/hesitation the light on the ESC blips yellow. On something like a thick carpet the twitching/hesitation is at its worst, while on asphalt it's a bit better but still there. I have calibrated the remote (as far as I know), so not sure what the problem is.

I expect a smooth take off from a stopped position, but like I said I am new to this so not sure what is normal and what isn't. Any ideas?

Is this to be expected from a RTR and would I need to upgrade something?

Thanks.
Is the motor sensored? If not there might be some cogging at low throttle which is a reality with some sensorless systems. With the pinion off the motor does the car roll freely? Make sure you have nothing binding in the drive train.

Do the instructions show the error codes for the esc? Maybe it will tell you what a flashing yellow light means.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

looks like the esc is still a castle sidewinder, but "waterproof" and rebranded.

It's probably one of these. Probably the same instructions for calibration (see section 14 of this)
It's sensorless so it will cog sometimes. It will cog badly if the drivetrain isn't free or if it's geared with too low of a FDR

If the ESC is calibrated to the radio, then the most likely culprit would be that the bullet connectors going into the ESC are not making good contact. Give each of the wires a little twist to turn the connector in the cup. Then try giving it a little throttle. If one is loose you can pry it open a little with a knife

If not, then check for some thing caught under the rear diff, too tight of a gear mesh, the belts rubbing on the motor or your battery or maybe a seized bearing.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Tech Rookie

I too am getting the same issue....it looks like the bullet connector from the esc to the engine is the problem..havin problems with C
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey everyone,

I am getting back into the hobby again after a long hiatus.

I just picked up two hpi sprint flux 2 cars - one for me and one for my 9 yr old son.

One of them won't supply any power to the motor. As soon as I turn on the radio and battery to the esc it just blinks green quickly.

The instruction manual is a piece of garbage - the esp included is not the same as in the manual...

I have tried various settings using pieces of information from the web with no luck... can anyone help?

Cheers,
Michael
Old 04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

having similar issues but mine just kind of accelerates in pulses, hopefully someone figures soemthing out.....good luck!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

I read that if there is pulse movement you might have the wrong setting on the esc (nicd/nimh vs lipo).

You may want to call HPI support to see if they can walk you through a solution.

Cheers,
Michael