Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tires?

What do you guys think is the best non-foam tire to use on an indoor carpet oval? We all run 4WD cars. Im running the HPI Pro Compound X-Pattern Radials (26mm) and they seem to hookup really well. (The track was smooth concrete before we carpeted it). Its a real short D-shaped oval.

We have decided for everyone to NOT use foams, but are thinking about having all cars run the same tires. We have decided on the HPI's as one possibility, but id like to research more. (preferably radials).So besides the HPI's that I mentioned, what other tires can you guys reccommend ?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IF you guys want quality tires at a good price. IT dont get any easier then to run TAKEOFF premounted CS27 tires. Or CS22.

Xpatterns are heavy and suck. For carpet racing run takeoff or sorex. I like the idea of everyone running the same tire so to make things easier(eliminating voodoo rims and insert combos) run premounted rubber tires.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tires

How long do the CS27's last ?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Should last a long time since they are a harder compound. Between sorex and takeoff the takeoff tires should last longer.

I dont run rubber or sedans on our oval track so im only going by my sedan road racing experince. We would get a long life running them on sedans with stock motors on carpet
Old 11-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, on carpet, a set of TakeOff CS-27's will last a LOOOONG time before you notice any real wear. If it tells you anything, at the last Novak US TC Champs(on carpet), CS-27's were the handout tire for rubber tired classes, & the one set that you got with your paid entry would last the ENTIRE event, I only needed one extra pair for myself that weekend(which was practice on Wednesday, all day Thursday, qualifying on Friday & Saturday & the mains on Sunday), & only then because I wanted to try applying some CA to a bit of the fronts' contact patch to reduce grip & take away some steering(had GOBS of grip all weekend). I didn't even wear off the little seams on them that you see when they're brand new......
Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default grip

You wanted to REDUCE grip??? Wow. So am I to assume they hookup on carpet REAL good right out of the box?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

every track is different, so grip will differ from track to track
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default grip/carpet

The carpet we have is brand new, and the HPI tires are hooking up great. The stock Pro-Line V-Rage tires are getting gummed up real bad and are starting to shred.

So we definately have the HPI X-Pattern radials as one option, but Im definately interested in another. So far I like what I hear about these CS27's...
Old 11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Well if u like xpatterns u will love the cs27s.. The vrage tires are just horible. Terrible grip and they wear out fast. Nice shelf queen tires.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: grip/carpet

Originally posted by RaceFan3
The carpet we have is brand new, and the HPI tires are hooking up great. The stock Pro-Line V-Rage tires are getting gummed up real bad and are starting to shred.

So we definately have the HPI X-Pattern radials as one option, but Im definately interested in another. So far I like what I hear about these CS27's...
Yeah, that will impact how much grip you'll get out of them, but you can still get good results when the carpet's that green(as in brand new). In the example I noted before, the carpet was well broken in, & had loads of guys using foam tires(& laying down a BUNCH of tire sauce from them), that's why we had so much grip that we had to worry about traction rolling all weekend(& why some of us were trying to use CA on the contact patch to cut down on front bite, & it worked ok). To give you an idea of how much sauce was being used by everyone, those of us on rubber tires could put our cars on track with our tires completely dry(no use of tire sauce beforehand), & by the end of a run we'd pull the cars off & the tires were wet(no kidding, lol). But even on a new surface, you can get good tractin with them, & if you want a little more rear grip, just put some CS-22's on the rear. I do that alot when I have the choice, & it works well at just about ALL carpet tracks I've gone to(& the CS-22's, while they will wear a bit faster than 27's, they'll still work fine for a good long time, but you will notice them lose a bit of grip after maybe 5 runs or so, then they'll even out & stay the same for a long time). I can guarantee they'll work much better than any tire ProLine makes(not to mention how much longer pretty much ALL other brands of tire last in comparison, ProLine's tires are pretty much a 1-day tire at best, no matter what you run them on for on-road, they just get harder every time you run them until they're un-racable). Give the TakeOffs a try, I think you'll be pleased....