R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   CRC Carpet Knife 3.2R (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/55775-crc-carpet-knife-3-2r.html)

FriedDiff 11-23-2004 04:05 PM

CRC Carpet Knife 3.2R

Hey guys! I plan on picking up a CRC Carpet Knife 3.2R sometime this week! I was wondering what I am going to need to get this thing kickin! I already have a receiver, receiver battery, personal Transponder, ESC, 19T motors, and 4-cell battery packs along with all the tools... I am just wondering exactly what I need like servo brand, shock fluids, etc... I will post pics of the track I will be racing on soon... The length of it is 293 feet from start to finish (1 lap)... It is indoor, and pretty tight on ozite carpet... Most of the touring car guys run Plaids up front and double purples in the rear... I know you cannot provide me with much from this info... But I will get pictures up soon! Thanks for the help, Travis.

FriedDiff 11-23-2004 06:14 PM

Oh come on?? Over 50 views and not a single post.... Damn! All I want is a little setup help/basic building tips... I have no idea where to start!

tc3stocker 11-23-2004 06:15 PM

Grey front tires
Purlple rear tires
Futaba 9602 servo or Futaba 9650 servo (digital)
and you can pretty much run it stock from there
what 19t motor did you get

lastplace 11-23-2004 06:23 PM

For tires try purple fronts and gray rears, I have found the TRC grays to be the best. I use Losi Hydra med. fluid in the side tubes. 30 wt oil in the shock. Be careful adjusting the diff and don't forget to sand the diff rings with 600 paper. I have the KO 947fet servo and love it. Reinforce the servo ears so they don't break off.

Try the Kimbrough 180 offset rear carriers

http://www.kimbrough-products.com/

Hope that helps

Korgae 11-23-2004 07:33 PM

Hi Fried diff.

I wouldent worry about your first set of tires, The kit comes with a full set of Purple fronts and Grey rears.

The kit itself is very very complete ( compared to other US manufactured cars on the market)

It comes with alum lowered pod plates ( an option on other cars)

Titianum threaded front axles ( beleive it or not but most other kits dont inclue these)

All you will need is:

Mini or micro servo ( I love the AIR 94145 servo)
Speed control of your choice.
Motor
64 pitch pinions or pinion set.
1/12 scale body ( CRC/protoform/CEFX/PSE all make great ones.

depending on your speedo you might want to invest in micro rx pack. This will boost the voltage from 4.8v to 6v. This will make your servo faster and give you slighly more runtime.

Hope all this helps.

429racer 11-23-2004 08:26 PM

Don't forget to get a nice 3/8 inch reamer for those rear ride height adjusters.

fatdoggy 11-23-2004 08:28 PM

I put one together for a friend two weeks ago. There are two things that I noticed while building. Firstly the chassis and the rear bottom pod plate arn't perfectly centered with each other and the pod will be able to lean more one way then the other. After finishing the assembly this isn't a problem and you still have tons of articulation both ways(I can't see that causing a problem). Second is a stupid thing but the rear middle pivot ball plates(holds the pivot ball in place) needs to be filed so that you can fit the battery in. Other then that the kit is very nice and everything went together well. The front end spacing that they have in the manual wasn't exactly right but they included extra shims anyway.I havn't seen it run yet but it looks awsome. :nod:

FriedDiff 11-23-2004 08:34 PM

THANKS GUYS!!!

Motors I have are Sureshot Arcor 19T Team motors (I am special)

Also, I will be running 64 Pitch stuff... Any idea where to start on a 100T spur with a 19T motor with a 293ft track from start to finish??

Body: whats the best out of the ones listed?
Receiver batts: already have :)
Servo Saver: ??
Servo: ?? A couple good suggestions.. what do you mean by the tabs on the servo??

Thanks for the help guys!! KEEP IT COMING! It is being delivered this saturday by my team mate from up in Easton PA (175 Bucks, cant beat it!)

fatdoggy 11-23-2004 08:43 PM

Body - Parma Speed 8

With the reciever pack you really only gain if your driving isn't holding you back. Provided you have half way decient cells dumping shouldn't be a problem in stock or 19t.

429racer 11-23-2004 08:47 PM

As far as the body is concerned I like the PSE (Parma Speed 8) it feels good on all teh cars I have driven. Servo saver I would say use a Kimbrough. For a servo I use a JR 3421 and 3550, but the KO 947 is a really good servo also (cost more too), never have liked Airtronice very much as they never returned to center very good for me.

FriedDiff 11-24-2004 03:57 AM

I refuse to ever buy airtronics, or hitec ever again unless it is below 30 and for like a shift servo on a MT.. Other than that... I hate them!

Receiver pack I have already :o

Body: Parma Speed 8 looks like its the hot body!

servo: I have JR XS3, should I go JR?

I will get pictures up this weekend of the track.. Until then, I am just gonna keep bumping this to get everyone's opinions... Pictures of the track can make it easier to say what to get... :p

As for all the oils; shock, diff, tubes, etc... What should I get? With this question you might be able to tell me better once you get a picture or two of the track...

Thanks guys!

429racer 11-24-2004 04:42 AM

Most digital servos out now adays are all pretty close and will work with any radio system. I hear that the KO 947 or 949 is suppose to be a little bettter than the JR 3421 but can't back that one up so I just use the digital JR 3421. Never tried Hitec or a KO. If I were to buy a new one I would go with the 949 though to try.

brianhackett 11-24-2004 05:22 AM

[QUOTE][i]

Also, I will be running 64 Pitch stuff... Any idea where to start on a 100T spur with a 19T motor with a 293ft track from start to finish??

The roll out conversion is (tire diameter*3.14*pinion)/gear
you can find charts here on rc tech . Ask the guys that have been running 12th scale at your track what roll out they are running
My guess is probably around 1.50 to 1.60
good luck finding set ups, I've noticed on 12th scale that the are not as abundant. I've been running on a really tight track (low 8.0 laps, a couple of 7's. I'm running the stiff side springs, "old" style front end with no shims, and on the main shock a red spring w/ 70 weight oil. (its a really smooth track) I love my 3.2r and hope you enjoy it as much. Good Luck

FriedDiff 11-24-2004 12:31 PM

by saying old style front end... can you explain more? Thanks for all the help guys.. It is very much appreciated... I now have a general idea of what i need to get.. THANKS!

brianhackett 11-24-2004 12:34 PM

The original 12l front-end blocks.