Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 Steering Rack Adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TC3 Steering Rack Adjustments?

Ok Ive been having some trouble with my steering rack. I broke the left rack post and the screw fell out of the bottom some time ago. I replaced it, and checked the bushings and washers, etc. and everything seemed fine.

I know you tighten the locknuts down until you cant move the wheels left to right, and then loosen them 1/4 turn each until the steering can move again. My question is, will tightening or loosening one of the locknuts more than the other cause the car to veer ?

Ive been fighting with 1 big problem which has caused me lots of headache: Even with my steering trim biased to the Left (cuz im running my TC3 on an oval) the car will often veer to the right on the straightaway. Whats worse, is that if I get loose and steer to compensate, the car over-corrects WAY too easily. I suspect the rack is the problem, but I cant figure out if both sides are supposed to be tightened the same or if one side should be looser than the other. Ive re-adjusted this many times but the veer situation keeps popping up.

Any ideas here?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
I used to have this problem running on asphalt .. I did realign the steering and replaced the mounting screws found one bent .. if you tighten one alittle tighter it will bind and hang up during correcting over or under steer in and out of the corners.. check the bearings if your running them and if not polish the bushings and the plastic rack so everything is smooth .. one more thing .. check your wheel bearings and out drive bearings they too will some times load up under presure causing the car to get loose and veer left or right ..
Old 11-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default bearings

Wheel bearings are OK, just checked them last week. Havent looked at the outdrive bearings yet but that will be coming soon cuz my LF outdrive is getting worn out pretty bad.

Glad Im not the only guy this has happened to. Ill pull it apart completely and take another look at it.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

When I adjust my rack. I pop all of the tie rods off so I am sure its not binding or too loose. Funny thing you should mention the rack I never broke one till the last two times I ran the car I broke one both times.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Tech Adept

Hi RaceFan3

My TC3 have a same problem , I also change all new steering parts but no help. However, after I change all of the suspension arm mounts then my TC3 no problem and run very straight . And then I found the front F-2 arm mount left hand side hing pin hole can't hold tighten the inner hing pin . It will be changed the L/R wheelbase not balance and cause the car to veer.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:06 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

Run the ally steering rack it gets rid of any binding or bending and with the bearings in it soooo smooth and its faster than the stock one
Old 11-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ally one bad
Old 11-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ally?

anyone have a link for any info on this rack ?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

The alloy one is junk, It will bend first hard crash. Just use bushings and leave the nuts loose. I file my rack so it is loose on the bushings that way it won't bind when it filed with crud.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:29 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

The alloy one is junk, It will bend first hard crash. Just use bushings and leave the nuts loose. I file my rack so it is loose on the bushings that way it won't bind when it filed with crud. WAT!!!?????? This has never happened to me or anybody i know that runs an ally steering rack, no bending or binding i check mine every month and nothing and im not exactly a great driver it has taken quite a few hard knocks especially when i chunk of foam cums off the tire and puts you into the barrier at full speed! What make of ally rack were you using?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default alloy

OK does anybody have a link with info about this alloy rack ?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:14 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

I found out by word of mouth and trial and error with any ally parts i doubt if theres any links about it? you can find it on http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/fast_tc.htm for most TC3 Ally parts
Old 11-23-2004, 07:15 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

i have pretty much all of em
Old 11-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default .

Try this mod out... it solves alot of the rack problems......

rack mod page