R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What dish wheels? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/5569-what-dish-wheels.html)

Jared Kirkwood 06-02-2002 05:41 PM

What dish wheels?

There is so many available. What dish wheels do most of you guys and gals like and why?

Super38 06-02-2002 06:16 PM

here in toronto we use the speedmind dish light,strong and very cheap cheaper than echo

Joe 06-02-2002 07:21 PM

I use Ofna solid colors. Don't use the transparent or translucent ones though, they crack real easily.

JimmyMac 06-02-2002 07:26 PM

Yokomo Aero Dish ABS plastic ones.

TimPotter 06-03-2002 05:17 AM

Cross,

They come in packs of 8 are pretty stiff and inexpensive.

daniz24 06-03-2002 07:00 AM

Sorex or Yokomo Aerodish Wheels :D:D

Jared Kirkwood 06-03-2002 07:55 AM

Has anyone seen the Orion Hard Wheels? How does the Yokomo ABS wheels and Sorex Dish wheels compare in stiffness of the Orion Hard?

I would compare for my self but my LHS doesn't have them all so I can do that. I'm hoping someone already knows.

Thanks!

linger 06-03-2002 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Jared Kirkwood
Has anyone seen the Orion Hard Wheels? How does the Yokomo ABS wheels and Sorex Dish wheels compare in stiffness of the Orion Hard?

I would compare for my self but my LHS doesn't have them all so I can do that. I'm hoping someone already knows.

Thanks!

The Orion "Hard" wheels aren't hard at all. They also have an "Extra-Hard" wheel which seems comparable to the yok.

My vote for best dish wheels goes out to Tamiya. Super hard, super durable and not at all expensive. A ton of little details make it better. The ribs have a radius where it meets the wheel for lower stress concentration. There are built in "crush" dimples that help lock on to the locknut. There is slightly more material at the hex to prevent breakage.

Jared Kirkwood 06-03-2002 09:40 AM

Thank you linger and the others. Another question tough.

What do you guys think about different stiffness of the wheels does to the car? I would think the soft ther wheel is the less responsive the car would be but maybe would generate more traction in lower traction conditions such as a dusty parking lot. Softer rims would probably be more forgiving to drive in bumpy conditions.

BigDogRacing 06-03-2002 10:01 AM

Jared- you are correct about the wheels- poor track- softer wheel. I'm not too impressed with the Orion hard dish, but I haven't felt the extra hard one yet. (that doesn't sound right:weird: )

I would stay away from the Sorex wheels- they are good, but they break the centers out all the time. I have broken a few, and other drivers I know who are all excellent drivers have too.

If you want dish- get the Yokomo 512 ABS. They are the best I've found so far. They just came out with a new precision dish Yok wheels too. I have some one the way. I can't speak for the Tamiya, but I've never heard anything bad about the Tamiya dish wheel.

If you would consider something other than a dish, then look at the Cross 15 spokes. It's the wheels that the Carpet Nats control tire came mounted on, and the same fot the Reedy race last week. I like them a lot and they protect the nut from catching the boards because the spokes are sorta rounded outwards. There is a picture of them on Stormer Hobbies website.

Joe 06-03-2002 12:20 PM

Yep, I've broken Sorex wheels also. The Cross ones really do hold up well. Has anyone used proline's inch-up? I might want to try it to get a smaller sidewall.

Trips 06-03-2002 12:54 PM

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
If you would consider something other than a dish, then look at the Cross 15 spokes. It's the wheels that the Carpet Nats control tire came mounted on, and the same fot the Reedy race last week. I like them a lot and they protect the nut from catching the boards because the spokes are sorta rounded outwards. There is a picture of them on Stormer Hobbies website.
Just a heads up on the 15 spoke rim... I bought a few sets of the pre-mounted TakeOff 27s at our local track, and they don't fit on the Yok SP unless you either space them out or run the old style rear arm. The spokes hit the end of the arm when you use the new style arms.

Trips

BigDogRacing 06-03-2002 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Trips

Just a heads up on the 15 spoke rim... I bought a few sets of the pre-mounted TakeOff 27s at our local track, and they don't fit on the Yok SP unless you either space them out or run the old style rear arm. The spokes hit the end of the arm when you use the new style arms.

Trips

Trips- you're right- I forgot about that. All you have to do is lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand the outside of the arm making sure to keep it flat against the surface. It won't take much to clear- so be conservative. I really like those 15 spokes....

seaball 06-03-2002 09:20 PM

cross. $9 for 8 wheels. mild flex and they look good too. schumacher distributes their takeoffs preglued on the cross rims. they are the twelve spoke wheels, but the flex is very similar.

Matt M. 06-03-2002 09:47 PM

i like the sorex rims...i have cracked some, on the out side of the rim...i personally have not broken the center out, but anything is posible...i also like the proline rims....for a softer rim....the sorex are true, and stiff....that is why i use them....another very durable rim is losis 26mm rim...only it has the losi hex....