Wiki Posts
Search

What dish wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

From what I'm told, the best rims to use for all out racing is probably the new Yokomo rims. Most rims on the market today are injection molded from 1-2 injection holes, the Yokomo rims are molded from 6 injection holes. So the rim is true all the way through and perfectly balanced.

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 06-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

The sorex rims aren't any good, like mr. losi said they crack. The yoke rims are nice, the team orion "hard" rims are kinda soft.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, the sorex rims will crack but that's what you get for such a stiff rim. On very hot tracks the softer rims will get even softer and make it feel like the tires are overheating, not a good thing.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

The Yok wheels are nice and all but they are also narrower than the Sorex, Pro-line, Orion and Echo's. I prefer the Echo's over all although I haven't tried the Cross wheels yet. The Yok's are the same width as a HPI and Ofna wheel. This is not good, it'll create a high sidewall on the tire or in other words, it'll poof up the tire, I like a real flat low-profile tire. Tire width is an important adjustment to your tires and with the tires being the most important adjustment on your car it needs not be overlooked. I run 24mm tires on 26mm rims for my nitro sedan.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by linger

The Orion "Hard" wheels aren't hard at all. They also have an "Extra-Hard" wheel which seems comparable to the yok.

My vote for best dish wheels goes out to Tamiya. Super hard, super durable and not at all expensive. A ton of little details make it better. The ribs have a radius where it meets the wheel for lower stress concentration. There are built in "crush" dimples that help lock on to the locknut. There is slightly more material at the hex to prevent breakage.
...and I love that blue colour!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by mr. losi
i like the sorex rims...i have cracked some, on the out side of the rim...i personally have not broken the center out, but anything is posible...i also like the proline rims....for a softer rim....the sorex are true, and stiff....that is why i use them....another very durable rim is losis 26mm rim...only it has the losi hex....
Ja, I ran the proline rims, very soft though

Last edited by Yokomo Fan; 06-06-2002 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:34 AM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Default Question from a Newbie

Just a question from a newbie: why are dish rims superior for racing? Is it durability? Aerodynamics?

Actually, I find they are ugly compared to other rims, so there must be a good reason so many racers use them.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think it hav more to do with aerodynamics--- less air turbulence. I may b wrong tho'
Old 07-01-2002, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I actually like the looks of dish rims.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

i like dish wheels bec. theyre easier to clean. plus, another place to put some decals on
but theyre inconvenient when used on pillow ball type suspension, you cant access the hex adjustments.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

i'll vouch for the proline rims. they are soft, but they are firmer then the JB rims from orion. they hold up well, they'll take a beating. they really arent too flexable, and they are very consistant run to run.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

kinoshita is right dish rims were made to be more aerodynamic plus from my experiences they are more durable.