Search

Tuning for the next Race, XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Wink Tuning for the next Race, XXX-S

Hey All.

My first race with my XXX-S went well. I only broke two parts Front and rear hub carriers. Seems the newer ones held better and I put the BRP bumper on so I haven't had a problem for the rest of the races. (broke during practicing) Anyway, here are some issues I need help with:

1) When racing I was running into the problem of traction rolling. My car would do cool flips and sommersaults but I really don't want to do that the next time I am running the following for my setup:

1) Tires: Purple Compound TRC foams all around
2) Springs: Blacks up front, silvers in the rear
3) Oil: 80 weight all around
4) Car is lowered fairly well, I don't have droop screws in the rear as losi didn't include them in my kit and I am waiting for that.
5) battery position: towards the rear
6) 41 tooth pulley in the rear (I am thinking of going back to the 42 tooth if this helps get rid of the problem)

What would help remove this traction rolling. I got used to it towards the end of the race by slowing down more into the turns.

As for batteries, I am in need of unmatched stick packs that can be any MAH rating. What would be great? I am leaning towards 2400s but I have heard the 3000s give more punch. What would be a good selection. I am running the following:

1) Chameleon 2 motor
2) Novak Explorer II ESC
3) 20 tooth pinion on 88 Spur (running low I think to get the hang of it all)

Let me know, Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

hmm, cant help you on the setup of a XXXS as I dont own one, although generally the droop screws should cut out some of the traction rolling. Also, I am not sure how stiff the springs you are using are, but maybe go one spring rate harder at each end to reduce body roll slightly.

As for batterys, 2400s will give more punch than all the 3000s except Panasonic SMH and Sanyo 3000HV. Personally I have matched 2400s and matched 3000HVs (HVs only built today, yet to use them). I would recomend the few extra pounds/dollars for matched packs if you are racing. However, if you really want unmatched either Sanyo 2400s or Sanyo 3000HVs are the best bet. The HVs out-perform the Panasonic SMHs now, so just stick with Sanyo.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Should have cleared this up but Matched packs are illegal where I am at (to keep costs down). I am having success with my 1700 matched packs (he lets me slide since they don't have the mah of the newer stuff) but I want to be spec like everyone else when trophy races start.

As for the stiff spring issue, the black springs are the stiffest you can go. I was thinking of using a softer spring in the rear possibly. But I should wait till I have a chance to get my droop screws from Team Losi as they didn't include two of them in my kit.

Who makes good stick pack versions of the 2400 and the 3000HV?
Old 06-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There's already a dedicated XXX-S thread, please post XXX-S related questions in there rather than starting new XXX-S threads.

Thanks
Trips