R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default throttle and brake curves

Hey guys! Im a newbie to electric racing and i wanted to learn some stuff on throttle and brake curves. Here is the thing, i am programming my mamba monster system via castle link and i want to know if anyone knows where i can find info on throttle and brake curves. any advice is worth alot to me
RahjahDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's pretty simple really.

Normally, the relationship between the throttle and brake will be linear. I.e. When you move the stick/trigger you get the exact same response on the ESC.
Move the trigger 5%, the esc will respond with 5%.

Now for some situations, the initial response can be too much for the grip level, causing the wheels to spin up (under throttle) or lock up (under brake). So you can use the curves to smooth out the response. Using a little bit of negative curve (the curve starts off flatter before getting steeper), means that for 5% throttle, you may only get 2% on the ESC.

It can really help to smooth the response of the car out, and can be a useful tool to help maintain traction around the centre of the throttle stick.

Personally, I tend to prefer to tune this setting on the transmitter (if it's available) rather than the ESC, as it allows more rapid adjustment on the rostrum. If you haven't got that option on the tranny, than by all means use it on the ESC.
Also, don't rely on it too much... training your throttle finger is part of the skill for going fast

| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote