Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by taz00
Raced the car for the first time today. The car generates more grip than the 2011 version (at least in our track which is a very big flowing asphalt track).
So much more that I easily won my class (13,5 boosted) without having driven the car before.
Hi, can post your chassis setup and electronic components? thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

You have got pm

Last edited by taz00; 10-24-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

For me it looks like the holes in the new show towers are also closer to the lower edge. This could give the TRF damper a perfect fit.
Does anybody tried this already?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys i figured i would introduce myself in this thread as im a tamiya guy who just jumped ship and has a t3 2012 on the way in the mail ...very excited....anyways i figured i would ask u guys what parts should i keep on hand as my LHS doesnt stock xray....as well as any build tips that might not be mentioned in the manual .....also i noticed a lot of u guys arent happy with the shocks on these cars .....would keeping my trf shocks be a good idea or are they not compatible.

Thanks

Rob
Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
Hey guys i figured i would introduce myself in this thread as im a tamiya guy who just jumped ship and has a t3 2012 on the way in the mail ...very excited....anyways i figured i would ask u guys what parts should i keep on hand as my LHS doesnt stock xray....as well as any build tips that might not be mentioned in the manual .....also i noticed a lot of u guys arent happy with the shocks on these cars .....would keeping my trf shocks be a good idea or are they not compatible.

Thanks

Rob
Welcome, youll certainly find the X-ray more durable to crashes and wear and tear than the tamiya. As such you don't need many parts at all, in a year running the car all I've broken was one knuckle and one top deck, and both were not ordinary crashes. The main thing I use is driveshaft blades for the rear diff, and it's a good idea to keep spares of the screws that hold the lower suspension mounts onto the suspension bridges because they can bend in crashes.

The kits also go together really well, check for clearance of the top deck as you may have to sand the ends slightly to so they don't touch the bulkhead clamps, also check the clamps don't rock on the eccentric diff bearing holders, if they do you can shim them or sand the diff holder down to ensure you get good life out of the bearings.

Shocks are a personal preference, the plastic ones can be a bit fiddly to get right. Tamiyas bolt on OK with the tamiya hardware but would bind on the old shock towers. A better bet is to fit X-ray shock caps and bottoms, I posted a how to in the t3'11 thread on this
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks

Rob
I'll add a couple of things to Craigs post. I've been racing Xray since 2001 and can confirm that are very reliable.

Grab yourself a pair of rear hubs and front knuckles. These seems to suffer the most when you run out of talent. I have seen a couple of rear belts snap (racing mod) since the indroduction of gear diffs.

I have run the plastic shocks in the past. They are pretty good but don't waste your time the adjustable pistons, these seem to 'self adjust', go with the convertional pistons and regular maintenacne and you will be fine. That said I'm running some TRF's on my indoor car (the extra length is usfull for low diamater foams) and XRAY Alloy shocks on my out door car possibly the best shocks I have ever used

Mark.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
I'll add a couple of things to Craigs post. I've been racing Xray since 2001 and can confirm that are very reliable.

Grab yourself a pair of rear hubs and front knuckles. These seems to suffer the most when you run out of talent. I have seen a couple of rear belts snap (racing mod) since the indroduction of gear diffs.

I have run the plastic shocks in the past. They are pretty good but don't waste your time the adjustable pistons, these seem to 'self adjust', go with the convertional pistons and regular maintenacne and you will be fine. That said I'm running some TRF's on my indoor car (the extra length is usfull for low diamater foams) and XRAY Alloy shocks on my out door car possibly the best shocks I have ever used

Mark.
+1 on the xray ALU shocks for outdoor asphalt. Found them much more compliant on large bumpy outdoor asphalt. MUCH MUCH easier to build than the plastic shocks too, dont seem to suffer quite so much when the bladders swell, as they will after one or two oil changes. I cant rate the ALU shocks highly enough, found them on par with the TRF shocks, really nice equipment to work with. They also come with multiple pistons with different sized holes from 0.9 to1.2mm.

When you read setup sheets from the pros with "1.1mm" pistons listed, these are from the ALU shocks, they provide less "pack" than the TRF and standard xray pistons with .9mm piston holes, which is why they work better on bumpy open asphalt.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

RCAmerica is due to have the 2012 kits in next week.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Thanks alot guys ....would anybody know whos a good canadian supplier for xray parts?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Contact [email protected] with your location for a list of nearby dealers

There are many local hobby shops and several Canadian mail-order shops who have access to and/or stock Xray parts.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ChrisP
Contact [email protected] with your location for a list of nearby dealers

There are many local hobby shops and several Canadian mail-order shops who have access to and/or stock Xray parts.
OK thanks im glad theres lots of support.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks alot guys ....would anybody know whos a good canadian supplier for xray parts?
http://canwestrcshop.net

I haven't ordered from them yet, but they seem to be THE store for xray stuff in Canada.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by locked
http://canwestrcshop.net

I haven't ordered from them yet, but they seem to be THE store for xray stuff in Canada.
Hey thanks ya i checked them out and thats where im getting my t3 actually and they have a full line of parts and its in canada so thats awesome ....i just thought maybe there was some more suppliers at my end of the country .
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

where's your end?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

He's in Ottawa. I'm in Toronto. I know Lou's Speedway near London stocks XRAY parts, but Lou doesn't have an online store. I don't know any shops nearby that stock xray. Most of the hobby shops around here are completely out of touch with the on-road racing scene and the few that are exceptions to this, have very limited stock.

nexusracing.com down in Georgia has a great selection of xray stuff and they tend to fill out shipping waybills so you probably won't get charged any brokerage (e.g. gift $30), but they charge a flat rate of $30 for shipping to Canada, so you'd want to put together a reasonably large order to make it more worthwhile. Last time I ordered from them, I got the order within a couple of business days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.