R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #841
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
That servo saver is nasty. My fingers hurt.

Instead of building it as per manual on the small bit w/ the spline adapter, try building it onto the big bit where the ball end holes are. Much easier.
For me, it was easy to build the servo saver. Assemble the front and back halves, then push the "spring" parts up from the bottom, smallest to largest. They "snap" into place. Takes about 15 seconds to assemble that way.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 7 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #842
Tech Elite
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
For me, it was easy to build the servo saver. Assemble the front and back halves, then push the "spring" parts up from the bottom, smallest to largest. They "snap" into place. Takes about 15 seconds to assemble that way.
Yep, very easy with this method.
__________________
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Radiopost | Speed Passion USA | Trinity | P3 Graphics
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #843
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,082
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

This car is good.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #844
Tech Apprentice
 
orci77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
Using any shim between the shock and tower in the front will reduce initial steering and generate more on-power steering. We normally only use the shim at the top and it also serves to make the shock as vertical as possible.
Tried the 2mm shims on tower and arm and it makes the car so drivable. Moves from "agressive and hard to handle" to "total control". Especially the better on-power-steering gives more convidence.

What I dont get: Why does this happen because of the shims?
__________________
Xray T3'012 + Nosram Pearl SpecRacing V2 + LRP X12 17,5T / X11 9,5T / X11 6,5T
Team Associated SC10 + Nosram Matrix Reverse + LRP X11 13,5T
3Racing F1-09 + LRP Sphere + LRP X11 17,5T
orci77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #845
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orci77 View Post
Tried the 2mm shims on tower and arm and it makes the car so drivable. Moves from "agressive and hard to handle" to "total control". Especially the better on-power-steering gives more convidence.

What I dont get: Why does this happen because of the shims?
Is the shim on the A arm really needed? I thought I read somewhere that a shim between the shock and the tower was enough.

I have an other question regarding the Ackerman. Does adding shims smooths out the steering and make the car steer a little less?
__________________
Serpent BeNeLux teamdriver // FX Engines // Nitrolux fuel
My blog: http://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #846
Tech Elite
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orci77 View Post
Tried the 2mm shims on tower and arm and it makes the car so drivable. Moves from "agressive and hard to handle" to "total control". Especially the better on-power-steering gives more convidence.

What I dont get: Why does this happen because of the shims?
When you lay down the shocks on the shock tower your changing the lateral angle of the shock, When you add shims to the shock tower your changing the longitudinal angle of the shock. So it also changes the spring and damping rates slightly.

Hope that makes sense.
__________________
|Team Xray | RC America |MAX Engines | Hudy |Jaco | KO PROPO |"From Slovakia with Love" T3 | Team Timezone |

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #847
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Is the shim on the A arm really needed? I thought I read somewhere that a shim between the shock and the tower was enough.

I have an other question regarding the Ackerman. Does adding shims smooths out the steering and make the car steer a little less?
No on both I believe, shocks are more upright when shimmed at the top, shim on the a arm stops this, although if you were to have say 3mm at the top and 1mm at the bottom, you will be making the car even easier to drive as you are increasing the distance the front and rear shocks are away from each other.

Regarding Ackerman, I believe it's increased if you reduce shims, this in turn smoothing out the steering.
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #848
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
No on both I believe, shocks are more upright when shimmed at the top, shim on the a arm stops this, although if you were to have say 3mm at the top and 1mm at the bottom, you will be making the car even easier to drive as you are increasing the distance the front and rear shocks are away from each other.

Regarding Ackerman, I believe it's increased if you reduce shims, this in turn smoothing out the steering.
So I can add 1 or 2mm at the top, don't change the bottom and enjoy smoother steering?
I know that the more shims you add, the less ackerman effect you'll get. But I've actually never tested with this.
__________________
Serpent BeNeLux teamdriver // FX Engines // Nitrolux fuel
My blog: http://scrubbingspeed.wordpress.com
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #849
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,701
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Is the shim on the A arm really needed? I thought I read somewhere that a shim between the shock and the tower was enough.

I have an other question regarding the Ackerman. Does adding shims smooths out the steering and make the car steer a little less?
Just between the top of the shock and the tower is what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
So I can add 1 or 2mm at the top, don't change the bottom and enjoy smoother steering?
I know that the more shims you add, the less ackerman effect you'll get. But I've actually never tested with this.
Yep.
__________________
Goodwine Racing - RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Sanwa - Motiv - GravityRC - BN Racing
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #850
Tech Addict
 
liteweight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 740
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Okay guys anyone have experience on 2012, after 2 days of races the rear toe change without changing the shims, here is the scenario, with the stock asphalt set up the rear toe are -3 deg both left and right , After 2 weekend of race now the rear toe are left -1.5 and right -2.5, I did check the long screws all four are straight, hinge pins both left and right are also straight.
__________________
John's Mobile R/C Raceway outdoor racing
"The New Coliseum Carpet Track"
"MRH" Carpet racing
"Xray T3 2012"
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #851
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
Okay guys anyone have experience on 2012, after 2 days of races the rear toe change without changing the shims, here is the scenario, with the stock asphalt set up the rear toe are -3 deg both left and right , After 2 weekend of race now the rear toe are left -1.5 and right -2.5, I did check the long screws all four are straight, hinge pins both left and right are also straight.
Are you sure you had 3 degrees both sides to start with? Both mr cars have more toe on the right than the left, although it is only about 0.5 degrees different. I tried shimming them to make them the same but didn't notice any handling difference.
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #852
Tech Addict
 
liteweight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 740
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
Are you sure you had 3 degrees both sides to start with? Both mr cars have more toe on the right than the left, although it is only about 0.5 degrees different. I tried shimming them to make them the same but didn't notice any handling difference.
Actually it is less than -3 deg both left and right, but my concern now is after 2 weekend the left is -1.5 and right is -2.5 degree, so you saying i have to put extra 1mm shimm on rear left to make to 2.5, are everyone doing this ?
__________________
John's Mobile R/C Raceway outdoor racing
"The New Coliseum Carpet Track"
"MRH" Carpet racing
"Xray T3 2012"
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #853
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,779
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
Actually it is less than -3 deg both left and right, but my concern now is after 2 weekend the left is -1.5 and right is -2.5 degree, so you saying i have to put extra 1mm shimm on rear left to make to 2.5, are everyone doing this ?
Did you break a rear hub and put on a 1 degree hub on one side?
__________________
Hobbywing / Team Scream / Progressive Rc / Ko Propo / MotivRc / Dri-Fit Mafia /
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #854
Tech Addict
 
liteweight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 740
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Did you break a rear hub and put on a 1 degree hub on one side?
I dont break anything on the car, im still using the 0 deg that comes with the kit
__________________
John's Mobile R/C Raceway outdoor racing
"The New Coliseum Carpet Track"
"MRH" Carpet racing
"Xray T3 2012"
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #855
Tech Addict
 
liteweight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 740
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I already put 1mm shimm on the left rear to make it 2.5 deg but it look ugly
__________________
John's Mobile R/C Raceway outdoor racing
"The New Coliseum Carpet Track"
"MRH" Carpet racing
"Xray T3 2012"
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2011 entitymugenmtx Electric On-Road 4150 05-19-2014 12:53 PM
Xray T3 2011 New in Box olhipster1 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 08-04-2011 05:27 AM
XRAY T3 2012 bila nk keluar? bravolous Malaysian R/C Racers 8 06-16-2011 11:58 PM
Xray T3 nitro rat Australia For Sale/Trade 22 09-19-2010 03:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:54 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net