R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #3601
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGonzo69 View Post
Have a little on power push going into the corners. How can I get rid of that?
I don't have any shims on the arm mounts. any help would be apperciated.
thx-John
well, if you insist on staying on power into the corner, try reducing the front droop. The front won't lift as far so you'll get less weight transfer *on power* to the rear.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #3602
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
EA is right. throw just a bit of weight in the nose and it'll settle a car down ... throw in a lot and it'll push like a dump truck.
I actually like the hard bumper, settles the car down. With the original bumper my car was very aggressive...I think everyone's electronics and battery setup are a little different. I ran the hard bumper all weekend in Illinois and actually added just a little more weight up front to calm things down a touch more.
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #3603
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
I actually like the hard bumper, settles the car down. With the original bumper my car was very aggressive...I think everyone's electronics and battery setup are a little different. I ran the hard bumper all weekend in Illinois and actually added just a little more weight up front to calm things down a touch more.
yeah, its all relative to ones setup. EA exaggerated a bit, and I did too, for emphasis.
btw, nice job at the Nats Ethan. Were you running the 2011 or 2012 or both :-) ( I saw a picture of both in your pits )

Jake
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #3604
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Don't run the hard bumper unless u want your tc to be a dump truck!
I prefer the term Tank and the way I drive, I need one.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #3605
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
yeah, its all relative to ones setup. EA exaggerated a bit, and I did too, for emphasis.
btw, nice job at the Nats Ethan. Were you running the 2011 or 2012 or both :-) ( I saw a picture of both in your pits )

Jake
Thanks, Jake. Both cars were the 2011, though the stock car had a few updates, like the diff clamps, it was a loaner car, thanks Hastings!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #3606
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Okay, well, is the XRay hard bumper much heavier than the Parma? I've been running hard bumpers as long as I've been in TC. No wonder my cars never turn.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #3607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Okay, well, is the XRay hard bumper much heavier than the Parma? I've been running hard bumpers as long as I've been in TC. No wonder my cars never turn.
There is not much difference .. I have run both .. started with Parma and then went to the Xray one when the other was out of stock.

I believe Chris runs the Parma and I run the Xray, if you want to compare at the track.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #3608
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Have you weighed the hard bumper compared to the stock bumper? I was at the Reedy race in 2011. Bowser was helping me with my car all week along with Andrew Hardman and his Pit guy Corey. We tried everything to get my car to turn and it just simply pushed. Corey even built my car just like andrews and it was 1 sec a lap slower on that layout before qualifying started. Finally bower picked the car up by the bumper just before the last practice session. He laughed and said take that off and put a stock one on. I told him he was nuts to say it was that big of a difference but proceeded to do it. Stock one weighed 5-6 grams. Hard bumper weighed 34 grams. Car picked up the second I couldnt find and was great the rest of the weekend and on pace.

Lesson learned for me.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #3609
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Have you weighed the hard bumper compared to the stock bumper? I was at the Reedy race in 2011. Bowser was helping me with my car all week along with Andrew Hardman and his Pit guy Corey. We tried everything to get my car to turn and it just simply pushed. Corey even built my car just like andrews and it was 1 sec a lap slower on that layout before qualifying started. Finally bower picked the car up by the bumper just before the last practice session. He laughed and said take that off and put a stock one on. I told him he was nuts to say it was that big of a difference but proceeded to do it. Stock one weighed 5-6 grams. Hard bumper weighed 34 grams. Car picked up the second I couldnt find and was great the rest of the weekend and on pace.

Lesson learned for me.

EA
.....and it breaks other cars......standard one is fine..

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #3610
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

Lesson learned for me.

EA
Damn, I had no idea. I love my hard bumper.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #3611
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Lesson learned for me.

EA
I'll have to try that out ..

The one thing to keep your eye on with the hard bumpers (Xray and Parma) is that since they are a bit longer, that they don't rub on the racing surface. They tend to deform a bit on the edges and end up pointing down so they can lead to some weird behavior in high speed corners and scrub speed.
ByteStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #3612
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Lesson learned for me.

EA
I agree, it is heavy. I have found it hard at times to calm the car down without that extra weight, a friend of mine felt the same thing. I felt like it did two things for my car though. A) as mentioned, numbed the car a bit especially off center, and with other weight in the right place, still have plenty of steering; B) it gave me better on power steering as the car tended not to unload the front so quickly. Each track, tire, sauce setup leads to different needs, and the bumper is just another tuning aid, neither are strictly right or wrong. If I were on a very tight point and shoot type of track I think the stock bumper would be better.

My $.02.
E
Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #3613
Tech Elite

I'm going to have to try the stock bumper again tonight.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #3614
Tech Addict

Default Bumper

I'm taking it off then ! I will run without one.
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #3615
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Rumor has it you wouldn't be the first.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote